View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions Depth Chart: BMW & Croj 3rd string 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Lions Depth Chart: BMW & Croj 3rd string
Link to Depth Chart

http://www.detroitlions.com/section_dis ... 21&level=2

Rogers, M. Williams listed as third-stringers on depth chart :?
August 8, 2006
By GEORGE SIPPLE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

When Charles Rogers was held out of a recent drill and Mike Williams spent another session taking snaps again and again again, Lions coach Rod Marinelli said not to read too much into his strategy.

So what to make of the first depth chart of training camp? Rogers and Williams are both listed as third-string receivers heading in Friday?s exhibition opener against the Denver Broncos.

The depth chart was distributed to reporters during Tuesday?s morning practice in Allen Park.

Williams is slotted behind Roy Williams and Glen Martinez. Rogers is behind Corey Bradford and Mike Furrey.

?That?s how we?re going to start the game,? Marinelli said. ?We?re just making guys earn it and earn it. Guys are moving up, moving down. Good practice, a guy moves up.?

But how does it look when two first-round picks are buried behind players who weren?t even drafted?

?That?s how we?re lining ?em up,? Marinelli said.

Last edited by RussMan on August 9th, 2006, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

August 8th, 2006, 5:29 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Nice message. Rod to players: 'Look men. if you don't earn the right to start or to be listed as the back up you don't get that position, 'kay? You see Chuck and Mike over there on the 3rd string? They haven't been earning it and they are making a hell of a lot more than most of you, but they're still on the 3rd string, 'kay? They aren't gettig special treatment and neither will you. You just gotta pound the rock and earn your spots, 'kay?'

Now, if they can only play like the head coach preaches! Give me an Amen!!

August 8th, 2006, 5:38 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Their performances in practice are obviously not good. I don't understand why these two don't get it? Surely they know by the way they are getting treated that they need to step up and give it their all. I will be upset if these players get cut but if they don't step up and get their heads out of their badonkadonk's it will happen.

August 8th, 2006, 5:39 pm
NFL Team Captain

Nice message. Rod to players: 'Look men. if you don't earn the right to start or to be listed as the back up you don't get that position, 'kay? You see Chuck and Mike over there on the 3rd string? They haven't been earning it and they are making a hell of a lot more than most of you, but they're still on the 3rd string, 'kay? They aren't gettig special treatment and neither will you. You just gotta pound the rock and earn your spots, 'kay?'

How about a "Kay?" - :lol: :lol:

August 8th, 2006, 5:41 pm
Pro Bowl Player

At least Joey was smart enough to ask out. Bet these guys wish they were in MIA now too. :lol:

Too late... time to pound the rock !

August 8th, 2006, 5:46 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Call me crazy, but I still don't see them being cut. Not both of them, anyways.
I do absolutely love the message 'Nelli is sending. We WILL play the best players. And if Furrey and Martinez are playing better than Rogers and Williams, then I'm not upset at all. We absolutely need to shake the "losing culture" of the Lions and if they stand in the way of that, then I have no qualms about seeing them out of town.
I kinda have a man-crush on Marinelli. :oops:

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

August 8th, 2006, 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

I wouldnt think much of it, the only thing this tells me is that the coaches want them to have the most playing time in the game. The third stringers will have a lot more playing time then first or second, we've heard good and bad things about both of them in camp....both were starters and on the verge of being cut several times according to the reporters and their "sources" (figments of their imaginations they use to be the talk of the town for the given day). I havent taken anything I've heard from reports so far as anything but rumors that probably have no truth to them at all. Even if Crog and BMW were with the number 1's because of the fact that neither have played much in the NFL (even with Crog being in his 4th year he barely has any actual in game time...and hasnt been able to really show where he should be in the games) so of course they are going to be at the spot that gets the most reps in preseason.

August 8th, 2006, 8:30 pm
Pop Warner Vet

amen

August 8th, 2006, 9:14 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

First of all the only one that has said that they are 3rd string is the media.... The coaches have gone on the record to say don't read anything into where they are practicing.... Why not take them at their word for it?

Second I don't believe they are 3rd string.... They are probably second. Which is exactly where most of us thought they would be at this stage of TC... Here is why I say they are second string.... Furrey and Drummond don't play outside and the bigger recievers don't play the slot so our depth chart looks different than it normally has.

Instead of it looking like this:

WR1-----------------------WR2
Roy------------------------Bradford
Furrey---------------------Drummond
Rogers/Martinez----------BMW

It looks like this:

WR1------------------------WR2----------------------Slot
Roy-----------------------Bradford-----------------Furrey
Rogers/Martinez----------BMW--------------------Drummond

We don't really have a 3rd string this year....

As for Martinez beating our Rogers... I'll believe it when I see it.... To me it is more Killer sensationalism... We'll see though... He is a cantidate for the new regime to make an example of...

August 9th, 2006, 2:40 am
Pro Bowl Player

But I think 3rd string is really 2nd string

Dan O. might be better than McCown, just a thought

August 9th, 2006, 3:07 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

People who think Charles Rogers is a starting caliber player must have very long memories. I haven't seen him make but one play in three years. I don't know what happened, but if Martinez can help our team you keep him.

August 9th, 2006, 4:25 am
Pro Bowl Player

First of all the only one that has said that they are 3rd string is the media....

And the Lions distributed the depth chart to the media. If you go to Detroit Lions.com you can see the depth chart.

August 9th, 2006, 5:11 am
Varsity 1st Team

Man ............. like most of you ,I watched the lions last year . Martinez didn't play much ,but when he did I remember him dropping everything they threw at him ,so I'll believe it when I see it.

August 9th, 2006, 10:39 am
Profile YIM
Pro Bowl Player

Interesting that they have Bullocks behind Kennedy at SS intead of at FS behind Holt.

Also, Pinner and Calhoun are last at RB.

I wonder if they couldnt try to move Pinner to another team for a draft pick.

August 9th, 2006, 11:10 am
Cheerleader

maybe this is just a motivational tactic for bmw and rogers. i find it hard to believe that some undrafted players are playing better than these two....they were both touchdown machines in college, and they will be in the nfl. if marinelli starts them at the bottom, theres nowhere to go but up. he wants them to have a perspective on what it's like to be there so when they do earn higher spots on the depth chart, they will have matured and be more part of the "team"

August 9th, 2006, 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next