View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Update from Tampa (Griese/Garcia) 
RIP Killer

Post Update from Tampa (Griese/Garcia)
Thought I would browse the Tampa papers for an update, this is what I found...

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBT46K0J5E.html

Garcia Could End Up With Bucs In The End
By ROY CUMMINGS rcummings@tampatrib.com
Published: Feb 23, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS - A year ago, Jeff Garcia followed the money and wound up in Cleveland. This year he may follow his heart, which could lead him to Tampa Bay.

Garcia, who paid his own way to Tampa for an interview with Bucs coach Jon Gruden last spring, has not lost his desire to play for the Bucs, an NFL source told The Tribune on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the Bucs' interest in signing the soon-to-be 35-year-old quarterback may be increasing. With negotiations aimed at re-signing Brian Griese moving slowly, the Bucs may use Garcia's interest as leverage against Griese.

It wouldn't be the first time they have played Garcia against Griese.

Earlier this offseason, the Bucs reportedly urged Griese to commit quickly to re-signing or face the possibility of being replaced, possibly by Garcia.

Garcia, who signed a four- year, $25 million contract to play for the Browns last spring, was officially released Tuesday after compiling a career-worst 76.7 passer rating in 11 games, including 10 starts.

He is free to negotiate with any club, but in the wake of his disappointing season in Cleveland, he could be leaning toward a team that runs some variation of the West Coast offense, such as the Bucs.

Garcia also has expressed interest in playing again for former 49ers coach Steve Mariucci, now coach of the Lions. Detroit reportedly is seeking a veteran to push or possibly supplant Joey Harrington as the starter.

There is growing speculation around the league that the Bucs may release Griese before March 2, when he is due a $6 million roster bonus, allowing him to test the free agent market.

The Bucs are attempting to rework Griese's contract, in part because they are approximately $14 million over the projected 2005 salary cap.

Tuesday was the first day teams could release players, but the Bucs have yet to make a move. They have until March 2 to gain compliance with the cap by trimming payroll or restructuring existing contracts.

February 23rd, 2005, 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Garcia goes down to Tampa, Griese gets cut and signs with the LIONS!!!!
In my opinion Griese is the only upgrade to Harrington out there. Let the Bucs have the old slow, nowhere to go but down QB and let us have the younger QB.
Of course I am assuming Griese would come here.

February 24th, 2005, 8:22 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

My gut feeling is that we get Garcia, or Millen makes a mistake and signs someone like Warner. I don't see Griese coming to us. Just my opinion.

February 24th, 2005, 9:17 am
Profile WWW
All State

griese does seem to be the best option for the lions. the browns are becomming my second favorite team after the draft trade last year and the releasing of garcia. just think, cleveland could play a major role in the lions landing both kj and griese.

February 24th, 2005, 10:53 am
Profile WWW

Do you guys think griese would the starter?

My buddy is a Browns fan and I thank him all the time for helping us get two first round picks.

February 24th, 2005, 11:22 am

My buddy is a Browns fan and I thank him all the time for helping us get two first round picks.

February 24th, 2005, 11:22 am
Modmin Dude

Actually I think Griese would push Joey enough for him to really shine and Joey will be the starter on opening day

February 24th, 2005, 12:06 pm
RIP Killer

The agent of quarterback Brian Griese submitted what he classified as his final contract proposal to Buccaneers' general manager Bruce Allen. "If they don't go for it, it's unlikely we'll be able to get it done," agent Ralph Cindrich told the St. Petersburg Times on Wednesday. The Bucs have until Tuesday to complete this deal. At that time, Griese will be scheduled to earn a $6 million roster bonus. Allen has already made it clear that the Bucs would release Griese rather than pay the bonus.

Griese's agent claims the Bucs have made a long-term contract offer, but the problem is that they are not willing to pay the average salary of a starting quarterback.

February 24th, 2005, 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

not willing to pay the average salary of a starting quarterback.

So what would the damage be? Unfortunately ppl like Manning drive that average through the roof :shock:

February 24th, 2005, 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I believe the average salary for a starting QB in the NFL is around 6 million.

February 24th, 2005, 7:07 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

http://www.pewterreport.com/article.asp?action=detail&article=1347&category=

Oh well it would have been nice, guess it wasn't meant to be. :cry:

February 27th, 2005, 12:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]