View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 3:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Lions will pursue DAVIS -- again 
RIP Killer

Post Lions will pursue DAVIS -- again
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/inde ... 233720.xml

Saw this on M-Live this morning and as I saw the headline I thought - who? Funny thing, the article is about going after Donovin Darius again.

So question is, who is Davis??? :lol:

February 28th, 2005, 10:43 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Good pickup Pablo. Poor showing again by killer.

February 28th, 2005, 12:51 pm
QB Coach

Walker, who was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday, signed a contract with the Lions over the weekend.

And I thought we got rid of the Walkers... AHHHH!

February 28th, 2005, 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
All State

And I thought we got rid of the Walkers... AHHHH!

so did i, what is up with that? and killer is an idiot.

February 28th, 2005, 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

so did i, what is up with that? and killer is an idiot.

I think they'd rather not got into free agency without a strong safety on the roster... and the fact that Bracy is a solid special teams players (see Chicago game)

February 28th, 2005, 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

However, I think the facts about the story are pretty accurate, most likely. A third rounder in exchange for Donavan would be acceptable. I would still prefer to see the Lions trade first rounders with Jacksonville and get Darius and their third round picks this year and next. The Lions will need to try and gain their picks back, and by trading their third rounder this year for Darius, it gives them less bargaining power to strike some deals.

Hopefully Darius comes to his senses and realizes he will be better off signing long term for less money a year than keep accepting franchise tags and risk losing guaranteed money by getting injured. He would be worth a six year deal, for about 25 million total, with a seven million dollar signing bonus. Structure the contract to be worth about 750,000 in salary this year, with escalating salaries. The final years salary should have be around seven million. That way it works out to be realistically a five year deal worth 18 million. That would be fair.

I still say the Bracy Walker signing was foolish. He may be good on special teams, but if we don't land a strong safety and end up drafting a rookie, who do you think will start at the beginning of the season? It won't be the rookie, not under Mariucci's watch. It's a possibility that Holt would start, but they still have Terrence slated as a free safety. I really think signing Walker was a waste of whatever money they settled for.

February 28th, 2005, 11:19 pm
RIP Killer

My rant...Bracy Walker is a pile at safety, Killer pisses me off, and I don't think trying to swing a draft day deal with Jax (DD for a 3rd rounder) will work. First off, if Jax trades us DD, who will replace him? They can draft someone or let Nick Sorensen take his place - not someone I would want starting at SS. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see DD in the honolulu blue and silver $%#@ing people up, but somehow I don't see it happening. He's going to want a lot of money in the first couple years. I don't think Millen wants to pay as much as he'll command...but then again...we are desperate for a safety so Millen might. Who knows, crazier stuff has happened on draft day. I still like trading down with Jax for DD and a third round better.

March 1st, 2005, 10:26 am
RIP Killer

The Lions were just as desperate, if not more so, last year for a safety when draft day came. The only thing that prevented us from getting D-squared last year was his contract demands and the fact that the Browns were willing to overpay for moving up.

Darius needs to understand that he will be 30 years old and reaching the downside of his career. He can't expect any team to pay him 5 million dollars a year over the course of six or seven years to play strong safety. He is not a cornerback, and safeties don't generally get paid CB money. He will have to come to that realization or risk getting hurt and losing a &$@# load of money because he thinks he's worth more than he is.

On a different note, a player who seemed like he could be a viable alternative to DD, Dwight Smith of the Bucs, looks like a legal liability now that he's been accused and arrested for pointing a weapon at someone for the second time. Too much of an idiot to play football in Detroit.

March 1st, 2005, 6:24 pm
RIP Killer

Wasn't it a pellet gun at a fan? Sounds like a winner...ya think multimillionairs would try to keep their money and live happily rather than getting fined and going to jail...

March 2nd, 2005, 12:13 am
RIP Killer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (March 1, 2005) -- The Jacksonville Jaguars re-signed franchise player Donovin Darius to a one-year tender contract.

What is their tender? A first round pick tender? Maybe we won't be able to trade for DD on draft day...

March 2nd, 2005, 12:31 am
RIP Killer

He had been previously convicted of brandishing a real weapon at a motorist a couple years ago. Even a plastic watergun is still considered a weapon if the victim feels they were in iminent danger. He should be happy that the other people didn't have a gun and pop him in self defense. It would have been justifiable.

Just because he signs a tender offer doesn't mean there won't be a trade. Clubs have until March 15 to sign those franchise players to other contracts. Thereafter there's a blackout period until July. They can't sign the player to a contract during that time or they risk the ability to use the franchise tag the following year. Last year Champ Bailey was dealt after being tagged. It would have to happen prior to March 15 I believe.

March 2nd, 2005, 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]