View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 1:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Is today the day for a new QB? 
RIP Killer

Post Is today the day for a new QB?
FA begins tomorrow (3/2). You have to think a couple of announcements surrounding the QBs could come down later today. Garcia and/or Warner will likely have a new home tonight. Which one, if either, comes to Detroit? The suspense shouldn't last much longer.

March 1st, 2005, 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Everybody go to church and pray that Millen doesn't do anything stupid (sign Warner).

March 1st, 2005, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Who is out there that can guarantee a starting job or a strong chance at competing?

Denver says they are interested but they have Jake...Tampa is still into him but they just signed Griese....Chicago? Are they looking...they always seem to be, Arizona...

On another note...Brad Johnson is going to be released soon...he may end up in Arizona...any insight on that Brian?

March 1st, 2005, 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm a little surprised, but the Bucs still have interest in Garcia and have extended him an offer:

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Bucs/ ... ct_t.shtml

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS - It has been the debate early in the offseason. Griese or Garcia?

The Bucs' solution is to make room for both.

One day after reaching an agreement with Brian Griese on a five-year, $32-million contract, the Bucs were trying Sunday to sign free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia.

The team also informed Brad Johnson, who led the Bucs to a Super Bowl XXXVII victory, that he will be released before Tuesday.

Garcia, 35, took a physical for the Bucs and met with coach Jon Gruden Saturday night.

Tampa Bay has offered Garcia a contract and he's strongly considering accepting despite interest from the Lions and several other teams. A year ago, Garcia came close to signing with the Bucs before taking a four-year, $25-million with Cleveland.

"Jeff is strongly considering Tampa Bay," agent Steve Baker said. "He met with Coach Gruden knowing that they had reached a deal with Brian Griese. I'd say there's a 50 percent chance he goes there."

Garcia's interest was peaked after his meeting with the charismatic Gruden, whom he believes can make him a better quarterback.

"That's still a possibility," Bucs general manager Bruce Allen said of signing Garcia. "We're going to have another veteran quarterback. The system with Jon is very attractive to a lot of players."

If the Bucs are unable to sign Garcia, they are expected to offer a contract to Dolphins free agent Jay Fiedler, 33.

That would seem to push third-year pro Chris Simms further down the depth chart as the least experienced quarterback on the roster.

Gruden appeared relieved Sunday at the return of the 29-year-old Griese, who started 10 games for the Bucs last season and finished with a team-record 97.5 passer rating with 20 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

"Yeah, it's encouraging," Gruden said. "(Griese) played good for us. It wasn't easy. Ralph Cindrich and Bruce worked hard on this deal. We're happy to have him back.

"I think Brian, instead of taking 18 to 20 percent of the snaps during training camp, I think taking 40 to 42 percent and having experience in this system will help him. But we've got to eliminate the turnovers. This is a guy who threw for 70 percent - led pro football in that category - and put our football team in a good position to win. We've got to run the ball better. We've got to give him some better situations. But his experience will help. We've just got to take better care of the football."

Griese's contract will clear about $4-million of spending room for the Bucs, who have to trim more than $18-million from their payroll to reach the salary cap by Tuesday's deadline.

Allen was optimistic Sunday that several players would agree to restructure contracts. That list, however, will not include linebacker Derrick Brooks, whose salary-cap figure is $9.6-million in 2005.

"We're going to get several deals done and we feel good about it," Allen said. "The releasing of players is in some cases a last resort, depending on how many deals you do."

In addition to Johnson, among the players who could be released for salary-cap reasons are defensive end Greg Spires, cornerback Mario Edwards and linebacker Ian Gold.

Johnson, 36, said Sunday he was looking forward to resuming his career after being benched for the final 12 games of the season.

"I guess it'll be a new lease on life, as far as my football career goes," Johnson said. "The reasons why I went to Tampa were accomplished. When I was leading Washington as a free agent, it was assumed I was going other places. I chose Tampa for one reason and that was accomplished. Part of you wishes your career could end in one place.

"Physically, I feel great. I've been able to start workouts earlier as far as getting ready and I already began throwing, Usually I wouldn't throw until the first of April. I'm excited. It's kind of a fun time for me."

How much fun Simms might have next season is uncertain. After starting two games last season, he will have an uphill fight to avoid being the No.3 quarterback.

"We don't give guys starting jobs just because Buffalo is giving (J.P. Losman) their job," Gruden said. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet. Do we think he can? Yeah. We think he has a great upside. But he has to string along some consistent performances - in practice and in the preseason. He has to get the center exchange. He has to improve his play. And when he does, when he realizes his potential, I think he'll be a starter in this league. But right now, he's challenging to become one."

Last edited by Pablo on March 1st, 2005, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 1st, 2005, 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

If that wasn't good enough, the Broncos are also in the mix:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2001757

Quote:
If Garcia decides against the Bucs, the Rocky Mountain news reports the Denver Broncos offered up a deal to backup Jake Plummer.

Garcia, 35, met with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on Saturday night in Indianapolis while Broncos officials were attending the NFL's scouting combine.

March 1st, 2005, 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Who is out there that can guarantee a starting job or a strong chance at competing?

Denver says they are interested but they have Jake...Tampa is still into him but they just signed Griese....Chicago? Are they looking...they always seem to be, Arizona...

On another note...Brad Johnson is going to be released soon...he may end up in Arizona...any insight on that Brian?

Dennis Green has already endorsed Josh McCown as the starting quarterback. He said that the team needed to rally around him, and that last season wasn't McCown's fault, rather the fault of the supporting cast. The offensive line was poor, Emmitt Smith was running the ball, and Boldin was lost for half the season.

The name I heard recently was Kurt Warner. I always thought that Johnson would make the most sense, but now it seems like the Cardinals have an interest in Warner. He would be a backup there though. They won't be drafting a quarterback.

March 1st, 2005, 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Apparently Mooch said this on detroitlions.com...

Mariucci stated the club has a plan for pairing someone with starting quarterback Joey Harrington -- whether it involves Jeff Garcia (among others) or Detroit's Mike McMahon.

Why would he talk about bringing back McMike if he wouldn't start him last year? They probably just didn't have enough content to make a paragraph so they threw that in there.

March 2nd, 2005, 12:27 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

John Clayton on ESPN hinted heavily that he expected Warner to sign with the Lions, by tonight. He also said Johnson will reunite with Dennis Green in Arizona.

March 2nd, 2005, 8:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]