View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 9:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Lions after Kenoy Kennedy 
QB Coach

Post Lions after Kenoy Kennedy
I was watching the NFL Network tonight, with the combine, and the NFL insider on the network said that the Lions are bringing in Kenoy Kennedy tomorrow, and are trying to land him as our starting strong safety.

Thoughts?

March 2nd, 2005, 12:02 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I like Kennedy...but I think Dwight Smith is a better all around SS...but he has some problems (pulling a pellet gun on a fan...). Kennedy is the next best thing after DD, so I wouldn't think twice about signing him.

March 2nd, 2005, 12:24 am
RIP Killer

His picture kicked off our coverage on LB - coincidence? I think not! Guess Millen's spy is hard at work on our boards. :lol:

This is what I wrote about him in my FA article on safeties this week (he was the first FA safety I spoke about):

Kenoy Kennedy is a 6'1, 215-pound strong safety free agent from the Denver Broncos. Kennedy is a targeted free agent because of his youth and experience. Kennedy was paired with John Lynch in Denver to form one of the strongest safety tandems in the league. Kennedy was taken in the second-round (45th overall) of the 2000 draft out of Arkansas. He is considered one of the best young safeties in the league. Despite being small for a safety, Kennedy has started for the Broncos the past three seasons and finished third on the team in tackles (90 total, 73 solo, ) last season. For his career, Kennedy has appeared in 57 games with 43 starts. He has 261 tackles (199 solo), three interceptions, three sacks and 25 passes defended. In speaking about returning to Denver, Kennedy thinks he might be back. "I plan on coming back here," Kennedy said. "That's the way I feel about it, and I think that's the way they feel about me. But you never know."

Bottom line - I think he is a good player and major upgrade for the Lions. I like his age as well.

PS - I was watching the same thing on the combine. Did you see Robert McCune the LB from Louisville? What a beast!

March 2nd, 2005, 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Why doesnt Dish Network have the NFL channel ?!? =(

I have not heard much about Kennedy but if Pablo vouches for him he is ok with me

March 2nd, 2005, 8:13 am
Modmin Dude

Why doesnt Dish Network have the NFL channel ?!? =(

Because they don't have a deal with NFL like DirecTv does (hence no Sunday ticket on Dish)

March 2nd, 2005, 10:32 am
Site Admin

Dwight Smith had 3 ints this year, 5 last, and 4 the year before. He seems like more of a playmaker than Kenoy IMO but maybe that has something to do with the Bucs defence. He is a bit on the smaller side than Kenoy but I would be happy to get either.

A solid OL guy would be nice...one of the Packers but there are several others that would do. Wahle would be great but probably cost too much if the Pack don't keep him.

If the Lions are serious about a receiver I think rather than Mason they go after someone like T.J. Houshmandzadeh or Burress. They are both about quite a bit younger than the guy.

I found this nugget on CBS...
Quote:
29. Stockar McDougle, T, Lions: The Lions would like him back after signing center Dominick Raiola.

Do we want him back though?

March 2nd, 2005, 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

I know Smith shot those kids with a paintball gun...has he had many other issues??

As far as receiver I guess the Lions are thinking they need a guy that can be a #2 if needed. I don't see how Burress can command much more that T.Housaf7^&#&67e3d. But Mason was a probowler...and will require more money and is much older.

March 2nd, 2005, 11:27 am
RIP Killer

I have not heard much about Kennedy but if Pablo vouches for him he is ok with me

Thanks for the vote of confidence from the UP. Kennedy isn't perfect, he is only marginal in coverage. That concerns me a bit. But with the Lions current secondary we have decent cover corners and I'm more concerned with the free safety being strong in coverage. He also isn't a big play guy, but I feel we have those in the secondary with Bly and Holt (maybe).

What I like about Kennedy is his age and hitting ability. Kennedy would be able to come up in run support and make receivers pay when they go over the middle. It's similar to the reason I like Darius.

Regardless, if we sign a strong safety like KK or DD, then we have to turn our attention to free safety. I'm not sure Holt has the speed to play FS but I would like to see him given the chance.

March 2nd, 2005, 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I guess that's why I like Davis...he will make cover plays and can stop the run. Although I did read that KK outplayed Lynch and should have been the probowl rep.

March 2nd, 2005, 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

FYI - from the Rocky Mountain News - Kennedy will be visiting Detroit

The top Broncos player scheduled to hit the market whom the team still believes it has a chance to retain was asked Tuesday where his head was, given the opening of free agency later in the evening.

"In this Popeye's chicken," safety Kenoy Kennedy answered with a laugh during a dinner-time phone conversation.

The meal figures to get better Sunday night, when Kennedy is scheduled to arrive at Detroit to meet with the Lions. He is expected to visit their headquarters Monday.

The Broncos and Kennedy's representatives could not come to an agreement during a weekend meeting at the scouting combine. Allowing the safety to go free will give the Broncos a truer gauge of Kennedy's market value but carries a risk.

"It might be too late once they figure it out," Kennedy said.

However, Kennedy indicated he wants to return - if the money is right. The feeling is mutual after Kennedy had 90 tackles, one interception and six passes defensed in 2004.

"I just want the best deal," he said. "I'm trying to secure my future. It's not about making friends, it's about setting myself up for the rest of my life. I'd rather do that in Denver, but if it's somewhere else, then I'll do it there."
Kennedy added he is willing to consider giving Denver a final shot at keeping him.

The Broncos started the off-season needing to address a "Big Three" whose contracts had expired. So far they have a win, a loss and a tie.

Guard Ben Hamilton agreed to terms on a five-year contract (win).

Defensive end Reggie Hayward, the team's sacks leader last season with 101/2, has been deemed too expensive to keep (loss).

Then there is Kennedy's situation (tie).

March 2nd, 2005, 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

PS - I was watching the same thing on the combine. Did you see Robert McCune the LB from Louisville? What a beast!

McCune was ripped... wow.

He ran an official 4.51... double wow. I left most impressed with DeMarcus Ware though... he made noise at the senior bowl as well.

March 2nd, 2005, 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Peanut and Beer Salesman

I think eather of these guy would be an upgrade from what we have right now, so i am for signing eather of them.

March 3rd, 2005, 1:54 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]