View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Highlight Reel 3/4 - Info on Darius........ 
Modmin Dude

Post Highlight Reel 3/4 - Info on Darius........
Friday, March 04, 2005

Latest word on Donovin Darius
Yesterday I posted a snippet of NFL Network's Total Access insider Adam Schefter saying that Jaguars safety Donovin Darius was trying to force a trade to Detroit. On Thursday, Schefter says Detroit's not in the picture "right now."

Derrin Horton: Adam, Donovin Darius has been franchised by the Jaguars. Does that mean he's staying put?

Adam Schefter: Not necessarily, Derrin. The latest is the Jaguars gave Donovin Darius permission on Thursday to shop his own trade. He will now be out seeking his own deals, looking to get traded. He would like out of Jacksonville at this point.

Detroit is a team that had expressed some interest, but that's not going to happen right now. But Donovin Darius now will begin looking to find his own new employer through the terms of a trade.

Schefter is beginning to make a name for himself with these intriguing nuggets, but come on -- WHY is Detroit no longer in the running? What happened? You can't just drop a nugget like that and not provide any explanation.

My own speculation says Detroit is out of it because they refuse to give up more than a third, according to Killer. The Florida Times-Union reports more detail on the Jags giving him persmission to seek a trade, and they'll want more than that third.

Although the Jaguars stipulated they want a first-round pick or a second-rounder and another pick, Darius is hoping they'll take less if Condon can put together a trade.

"I believe there is a market out there for me,'' Darius said, but he conceded it would be difficult to get a first-rounder for him.

"We'll find those deals and bring them back to the Jaguars and, hopefully, they'll make a business decision. They say they're building for the future and I'm not part of the future.''

March 4th, 2005, 9:48 am
Site Admin

Wow good stuff Wags. It's interesting that not too long ago you couldn't pay someone enough to come to a Detroit team outside of the Red Wings. And now guys like DD and Elden Campbell are fighting to get here. Detroit sports is on the up and up :wink:

March 4th, 2005, 10:16 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Thanks Wags! So Millen doesn't want to give up more than a 3rd round pick for DD - hummm... I could certainly live with that.

I'm curious who on the board would be willing to give up a 2nd rounder and late pick (6th or 7th round) for Darius?

March 4th, 2005, 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I agree it isnt worth any thing higher than a 3rd rounder.

March 4th, 2005, 10:50 am
Site Admin

Well...I suppose I would have to ask is there a dramatic difference between what Darius can do vs like a Kennedy? IMO I hate for them to give up a 2nd rounder cause they have done some good things with that pick in recent history.

March 4th, 2005, 10:50 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think Darius is worth a 2nd rounder...but not from us. We have too many other holes that we need to fill and could fill with quality starting players via the draft (OG, TE, DE, etc). I would much prefer slightly overpaying Kennedy rather than overpaying Darius (he'll want a healthy contract) and giving up a 2nd rounder.

Teams hurting for a SS are...us, Vikes, Bucs, Rams, Texans to name a few.

The Vikings might give up there late 7the round pick from the Raiders and their 2nd since they have 2 first rounders...I would only imagine a 2nd rounder, not a 2nd and a 7th as compensation for DD.

March 4th, 2005, 11:11 am
QB Coach

March 4th, 2005, 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

If the Lions can sign Kennedy then there should be no talk of Darius not for any pick. Kennedy is younger and probably cheaper plus wont cost us any picks. If we cant sign anyone at safety though I would take Darius in a trade where we swap picks with the Jags but would not flat out give them any of our picks before round 4.
What is up with the Lions approach to Garcia? They coughed up some serious picks for Ty Detmer and handed him the keys over Batch, a guy much more accomplished then Joey but given almost no chance in the WCoast sham. Detmer's only appeal was that he knew the system. Now they have a shot at the accomplished Garcia who knows the system and whom they can get for a backup's contract and they wont pull the trigger.

Last edited by The Legend on March 5th, 2005, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2005, 9:12 pm
Site Admin

Interesting take Legend...maybe it was the Detmer situation that led them to their currently cautious state...that and the QBs might recognize the great situation here with Joey being booed regularly and the great young talent. This really to some may be a choice chance to reinvent themselves like Gannon did in Oakland.

March 5th, 2005, 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]