View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2014, 1:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Leo's plan: Hey, everybody has one! 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Leo's plan: Hey, everybody has one!
1. Sign either Kenoy Kennedy or Dwight Smith to start at SS. This is the one position the Lions can afford to overpay because you don't know if you can get a starter in the draft. Cut Brock Marion if you need to clear the money.

2. Sign Jeff Garcia as a back-up. Even though I would prefer Kelly Holcomb. But Garica already knows Mooch's system and the Browns are looking to resign Holcomb. I would also consider Jay Fiedler or Brad Johnson as a third option.

3. Sign a OG either Jermane Mayberry, Rick DeMulling or Dan Neil. I would prefer DeMulling since he's the youngest of the group.

4. Sign a 3rd WR Joey Galloway might be the best fit but cheaper alternatives are also available in Corey Bradford, Troy Edwards and Kevin Johnson.

That leaves a hole at TE where I really don't see any good options in free agency. Which means they either need to trade down and take Heath Miller in the first or hope Alex Smith falls to them in the second.

I also believe McDougle won't be back so their will be a hole at RT (or LT depending on where you believe Jeff Backus should play) They will either draft somebody or go with Victor Rogers/Kelly Butler.

March 4th, 2005, 1:29 pm
Site Admin

WRwise I would rather have David Patten(signed with Washington DOH), Troy Brown, or a Kevin Johnson if you are not gonna spend on a Burress. Like I said before I would take Az back if he were dramatically cheaper about most of the FA receivers.

March 4th, 2005, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

David Patten signed with the "endless pocket" skins

http://www.redskins.com/

March 4th, 2005, 1:40 pm
RIP Killer

Leo, I like your ideas. I'm not big on Dwight Smith because of his off-field foolish behavior. Kenoy is going to be courted heavily, I think, and will hopefully respond. If Kennedy signs, I don't think the Lions will select a safety on day one of the draft. Also, I disagree with your comments on the tight end situation. I think Freddie Jones or Anthony Becht could do well here. Even Jermaine Wiggins would be better than Alexander. My concern lies mostly with the Lions shoring up the O-line and getting the LG and RT positions taken care of. If at all possible, they should look to get the tackle spot filled. Victor Rogers and Kelly Butler aren't the answer. Rogers is injury prone, even as a backup. What will happen if he gets the starting job? Butler didn't show too well last year, but maybe has made some improvements. As for the WR position, I think Az is as good as gone. If he hasn't agreed to renegotiate by now, he won't in the future. I'm not a big Kevin Johnson fan, so I would have to say Troy is the way to go. If not, then they should nab Courtney Roby in round three. :P

March 4th, 2005, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

Trading down should be done in round one regardless of our needs. There isn't a player of value the Lions need at that spot. If Kennedy signs, Davis is a pass. If Marion isn't the starter at FS, then Holt will be. A trade down could gain us either Heath Miller or Jamaal Brown.

March 4th, 2005, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Leo's plan: Hey, everybody has one!
1) I'm not a big fan of Smiths, go get Kennedy or trade for Darius
2) Agree, but Warner is getting some love from the Lions right now
3) Yes, please
4) I don't like Galloway, I think there are plenty of options at WR

Good post Leo.

March 4th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

1) No Dwight Smith... not with his idiotic off-field actions. The Lions don't come near players like that.

2) Yes

3) Yes, but I prefer Mayberry... he is the best of the group

4) Yes, but I prefer someone other than Galloway

TE in draft... Heath Miller may be the pick at #10. I know lionsfanva would love for us to land Miller and Brown... which is possible.

The evaluation of Butler/Rogers by the coaching staff will ultimately decide what we do at RT. There was a nice article written on the topic http://www.freep.com/sports/drewsharp/drew2e_20050302.htm

I'm not too opposed to Butler starting... we never give any low draft picks any chances to do anything, and Butler isn't your ordinary low pick.

March 4th, 2005, 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Trading down should be done in round one regardless of our needs. There isn't a player of value the Lions need at that spot. If Kennedy signs, Davis is a pass. If Marion isn't the starter at FS, then Holt will be. A trade down could gain us either Heath Miller or Jamaal Brown.

Davis is a guaranteed pass... he is over 230 pounds and ran a 4.62 at the combine... he will be an outside linebacker, not a safety, in the NFL. He has bulked up.

March 4th, 2005, 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Agree that Davis is a pass. I've seen reports on him stating he wants to play closer to the line of scrimmage. Anyone know if Shazor took part in the combine? Would be interested to see his workout numbers. I heard that James Butler had a nice workout..

March 5th, 2005, 12:01 pm
RIP Killer

Anyone know if Shazor took part in the combine? Would be interested to see his workout numbers.

Shazor was invited but only took the Wonderlic (scored a 16). We won't have good #'s on him until the Michigan Pro Day.

Last edited by Pablo on March 5th, 2005, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 5th, 2005, 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Charles Rogers had a wonderlic score of 10... and that didn't scare the Lions off.

March 5th, 2005, 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

As far a Butler is concerned, no he didn't show much. But if I'm not mistaken a QB named Farve Started his career as a backup in Atlanta and was not the answer there at the time. Not that I would put Butler in a class with Farve but give the man a chance he has all the tools, just needs to be coached, besides we have played players that are no better all season every year

March 6th, 2005, 2:01 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

1. Kennedy is going to be here on Monday, if he leaves without a contact I don't see him signing here. I'm not sure what Smith did off the field but on the field he's the Lions 2nd best bet at S.

2. Ok, Holcomb and Warner are both gone and it sounds like Garcia is leaning towards Denver. Unlike most people I'm fine with the Lions signing Johnson or Feidler.

3. Mayberry is gone, sounds like Neil has a visit scheduled for Detroit no word on DeMulling.

4. Plenty of WR still availalbe to fill the #3 role.

5. I think the Lions do need to sign a TE even if they draft one as long as that TE is not Alexander.

6. I still don't think McDougle is coming back and don't think the Lions are going to sign a RT.

March 7th, 2005, 2:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]