View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Right Tackle thought... 
QB Coach

Post Right Tackle thought...
So, i've been hearing throughout the off-season that Kelly Butler can't play RT, and that it is a glaring hole... blah blah blah.

This just came to me, no he isn't a star, but he is better than anyone else we have on the roster at OT. Matt Joyce (yes, haha, the lazy bum who beat out Loverne for a starting spot late in the season). Joyce has played RT in his career, is a quick lineman, and could play there.

That would have an O-Line of players that all started games last season for the Lions... proven players. Not necessarily good.

Anyone have thoughts on this situation?

Backus-Loverne-Raiola-Woody-Joyce

March 5th, 2005, 2:15 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Loverne should not start. He has trouble with almost every aspect of playing offensive line except for pull blocks and getting outside on a screen. He cant move anyone off the line of scrimmage despite good leverage. Him and Raiola combined dont do well on double teams. He is a heads down blocker who doesnt adapt well during a play, wont come off double teams on delayed blitzes and trouble with stunting lineman. Also presnap he is pretty bad at having his head up, misses obvious blitzes. One everyone might remember (although there were several others) was Joey's pick in the home game vs Chicago. LB walked up to the line directly over Loverne before the snap. Loverne never saw him and double teamed down with Raiola. The guy was on Joey in an instant, a yellow stream ran down his leg and the Bears had 6.
As for Joyce he is not a good athlete. I think he is no longer quick and agile enough to play RT with the way most DEs are now although he has good technique. He did do a decent job in place of Loverne at LG, did a much better job on double teams and pass blocking. But he's too lumbering to get to the 2nd level, pull or get outside for a screen. Blocking schemes and play calling would have to be limited for him to play. I think that is why Mooch kept Loverne as the starter for most of the season.
I hope they can get one spot filled in the draft, likely for the guard spot in rd2/3. Should be a possibility if FAs upgrade our safety situation. Looks more and more like Stockar might be a possibility now bc of the remaining FA tackles. My idea though is to pickup a FA guard, a solid dependable starter like Chris Gray of SEA and add some athletic lineman in rd3-4 (a guard and a tackle) Open the competition in camp with Rogers, Butler, Joyce plus the new pick and see if anyone can take RT.

March 5th, 2005, 11:54 am
Bubbles the Lion

I like that plan. Loverne can not be a starter this year. The Lions will be in a world of hurt if they don't address the OL this year. It and the game management were the two main downfalls last year.

March 5th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Fair Weather Fan

The Lions said they are going to have Kelly Butler and Victor Rogers battle it out for the starting RT job. As for OG if we don't sign a good free agent to start for us at Gaurd they will probley draft David Baas.

March 6th, 2005, 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]