View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Stirring the mud? 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Stirring the mud?
This links to Killer's blog and he is commenting on when Millen really fired Mariucci.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2006_11.html#200160
I know there is some relevance because of the next opponent and because of Mora's comments, but when Millen decided to fire Mariucci doesn't concern me. Why he fired him is all I'm concerned with and I think I know already.

November 1st, 2006, 4:14 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mystery remains: When did Millen fire Mooch?
It has nothing to do with this year's team, but the mystery of when Lions president Matt Millen actually fired head coach Steve Mariucci continues to linger.

The official announcement came that Monday morning after Detroit's 27-7 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Thanksgiving. I've also heard that Millen had talked with Mariucci on Sunday evening and, at that time, no decision had been made. When Millen and Mariucci couldn't agree on some changes that needed to be made, Millen made up his mind Monday morning.

Or did he?

During a conference call with Falcons coach Jim Mora today, Mora revealed some interesting details about why he believed Mariucci was about to be fired -- on Thanksgiving.

Said Mora: “I’d heard some stuff. I called his house on the bus on the way home to check on him. He’s a very, very good friend of mine. I was concerned. We’d heard some things that happened in the locker room and we’d heard that Matt had said some things up in the press box to the media. There are no secrets in this league, everything gets out so we knew what was going on.

“I had heard some things happened in the press box. I had heard Matt had talked in the pressbox during our game and I don’t know if that’s accurate or not, but we heard that in the lockerroom after the game. Some of our media people came down and said ‘You can’t believe what Matt Millen was saying up there.’ I was obviously very concerned about Steve’s future at that point.

“Our media and our media relations department had heard some things upstairs that Matt had said rather loudly regarding Steve and that got back to me. That’s why I was concerned.’’

I went back and checked my stories from that day and there's no mention of Millen talking to the media or having a meltdown of any sort. In fact, I speculated that Millen would probably prefer to wait until the end of the season to fire Mariucci (mostly because William Clay Ford doesn't like firing coaches during the season).

There's no telling who overheard Millen who, I believe, watched the game from the coaches booth. So what set him off? Remember, Joey Harrington was benched with 2:49 remaining in the second quarter of that game and Millen and Mariucci had been at odds over who should be starting. Or was it something else?

The mystery continues.

November 1st, 2006, 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
IMO this is just one more example of Millen's lack of professionalism, lack of his ability to mange, and his lack of ability to keep his emotions away from his managerial decisions. That is not to say that Mooch should have stuck around... I wouldn't have kept him on that long. However, decisions like this have to be held closer to your chest. Even if Millen did make up his mind when JH was benched he should have quietly kept it to himself, called Mooch in his office, and handled it.

Millen is a jackazz...

November 1st, 2006, 6:01 pm
IMO this is just one more example of Millen's lack of professionalism, lack of his ability to mange, and his lack of ability to keep his emotions away from his managerial decisions. That is not to say that Mooch should have stuck around... I wouldn't have kept him on that long. However, decisions like this have to be held closer to your chest. Even if Millen did make up his mind when JH was benched he should have quietly kept it to himself, called Mooch in his office, and handled it.

Millen is a jackazz...

November 1st, 2006, 6:01 pm
Stadium Announcer

The mystery of Michigan State's new football coach is in this thread. Mooch.

November 1st, 2006, 6:44 pm
The mystery of Michigan State's new football coach is in this thread. Mooch.

I'm pulling for Butch Davis or Jim Fassel myself. I really don't think there is much interest in Jim Fassel from either party (Jim or MSU), but I think he would be a good fit. He seems like a fair guy, he's a good coach, and he's a disciplinarian but not overly zealous about it. In regards to Butch Davis on the other hand, there could be mutual interest by both parties. He is recently unemployed and had a hand in turning around the U of Miami program... IMO he would be a great fit, and would do more for MSU than would Mooch.

November 1st, 2006, 6:58 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Yeah... Mooch would only play seniors. All freshmen would ride pine. :)

November 1st, 2006, 7:25 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Knowing Millen's history, I really wouldn't be surprised if he said some inappropriate things about Mariucci up in the press box last Thanksgiving. However, I wouldn't blame him for it. I doubt that he said anything worse than I did about that fool during his tenure here. The only thing that I blame Millen for in that regard is that he kept Mooch as the head coach for as long as he did.

Since I'm a huge Wolverine fan (and yes, I did attend that University for two years), I'm kinda hoping that Michigan State hires Mooch to replace Smith. That move would ensure that they remain in the sewer where they belong! :lol:

November 1st, 2006, 8:15 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Millen is an unprofessional a**hole. This sounds suspiciously like the Morton fiasco.

The guy drafts poorly, makes dreadful free agent moves, and lets his personal issues with people alienate players and staff. There is no accountability in this organization, and until there is, we will be a failed team.

November 1st, 2006, 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

According to Mike O'Hara, Millen was watching the game with Ford in Ford's suite, not in the press box when the alledged comments were suppose to have been made. Either the Atlanta media was trying to stir something up or Mora is trying to stir something up now.

It is amazing to me that not one local reporter says that Millen said this stuff, but look at the folks rushing out to embrace Mora's comments. Apparently we are now guilty until proven innocent.

November 2nd, 2006, 6:43 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Since I'm a huge Wolverine fan (and yes, I did attend that University for two years), I'm kinda hoping that Michigan State hires Mooch to replace Smith. That move would ensure that they remain in the sewer where they belong! :lol:

If Mooch goes to state they are in big trouble. Izzo would get to see Mooch everyday and his basketball program would fall b/c of Mooch always around. Izzo and Mooch would be spending all their time together and forgetting that they have programs to run

November 2nd, 2006, 6:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't see Mariucci getting the job at State. He is too laid back and that is not the kind of coach the Spartans need. Although, it would be nice to see another coach as offensively conservative as Lloyd Carr. Maybe then Lloyd would see the light. (Carr really needs a heart to heart with Martz).

November 5th, 2006, 7:07 am
RIP Killer

According to Mike O'Hara, Millen was watching the game with Ford in Ford's suite, not in the press box when the alledged comments were suppose to have been made. Either the Atlanta media was trying to stir something up or Mora is trying to stir something up now.

It is amazing to me that not one local reporter says that Millen said this stuff, but look at the folks rushing out to embrace Mora's comments. Apparently we are now guilty until proven innocent.

Excellent comments Jafo. I remember that game pretty well, and I remember seeing Millen on the TV screen sitting in a suite, not in a press box. Since Mora and Mooch are such 'good friends', I feel it is VERY possible that Mora is now seeking to cause problems for Millen for firing Mooch.

And Mr. Mora, if Steve and you are such close butt-buddies, why didn't you hire him onto your staff this season? BECAUSE HE SUCKS, THAT'S WHY!

November 5th, 2006, 9:41 am
Junior Varsity

:idea: :idea: :idea: :arrow: :D HELL YEAH!!! Let the Spartans continue to suck, baby! Wolverines RULE!!

Eldridge Cleaver

Go get 'em, TIGERS!!! :)

November 5th, 2006, 1:53 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]