View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 10:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Who's next----FA's 
NFL Team Captain

Post Who's next----FA's
Iwas just sitting here (De)Mulling over who I hoped the boys would sign next. There are guards out there that would greatly improve our Oline. DeMulling, Coleman and Hamilton to start. I hear McDougle was offered $8 mil over 4 years with a $4 mil bonus. I would pay that to keep him, sign a guard and start the draft off with Marcus Spears-DE LSU. Throw in Gabe Watson-DT Michigan in the 3rd. Open to suggestions for round 2, maybe a FS. What do you guys think?

March 8th, 2005, 8:50 am
Pop Warner Vet

I like your list of FA OL guys. I am not sure about Stockar, is that the going rate on out of shape injury prone tackles? For the draft obviously we have removed the need to go S early and TE. We could always use OL help but this draft is supposedly deep in them too. With our pickups I am thinking we go available. But I am just crazy like that.

March 8th, 2005, 9:40 am
RIP Killer

DeMulling would be my first guess. I would thing left guard regardless.

Other potential FA needs:

RT - I'm thinking the Lions are going to have to go with McDougle at this point if they address it in FA.

QB - with the lack of effort towards Garcia, my guess is that they must be taking a long look at Brad Johnson.

WR - there are plenty of capable #3 WRs still available, I haven't put much thought into this spot yet.

March 8th, 2005, 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

I would like to see them sign DeMulling @ G. I would also like to see a FA Tackle, or McDougal if all else fails. Has McDougal visited anyone yet? I don't want them to go that way with a #1 pick on draft day. Rookie Tackles can be murder on a QB.

I still want to see a "good hands" 3rd wide reciever in here. Anyone hearing any names bantered about for visits? I think that having Pollard at TE will help out on 3rd down though. That still doesn't mean to give up on a veteran WR though.

I also would feel much better if a back-up QB were in the fold instead of dangling on a line somewhere. I here Garcia is going to visit the Seahawks next. I think that Garcia has a better shot at winning games than Brad Johnson. I guess it comes down to whether you want to push Harrington for the starting position (Garcia) or you want a lower priced but experienced back-up in case of a short-term injury (Johnson).

With the 2 pick-ups yesterday, I could see us going with a rush DE in the 1st round and OL/DT/CB depth in the 2nd-5th rounds.

I think Garcia has a better shot at winning ballgames than Brad Johnson.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

March 8th, 2005, 12:58 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

First up I'm guessing the Lions will fill the OG position I'm guessing DeMulling would the first choice with Neil being the other choice. I don't think Detroit is interested in Coleman or Anderson who would be the only other 2 starters available.

I don't expect the Lions to sign a RT including McDougle. It's possilbe the Lions could draft Barron or Brown in first round so I expect them to keep that option open. If they don't draft them plan B is to go with Rogers and Butler or maybe even a later round rookie. McDougle is not a big loss in my mind.

I have a feeling the Lions are waiting on Johnson before making any kind of push for Garcia. I haven't heard anything about interest in Feidler. Can anybody tell me why I haven't heard a thing about Quincy Carter, isn't he a free agent also?

Bradford is the only WR I've heard about coming town but plenty of options remain which could be an upgrade from Tai Streets.

March 8th, 2005, 1:40 pm
Site Admin

Well last year I felt that way about Streets..that he would be an upgrade and color me wrong...the guy was terrible.

March 8th, 2005, 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

I agree about Streets. He was aweful. But at the time they signed him, I thought he was a good insurance policy. His stats from the year before were 50-60 catches and over 700 yards. He was also familiar with the offense and the coach. I thought it was a good fit. He just looked like he didn't have anything left in the tank.

I thought Bradford was a long-ball threat. He is not known for his sure hands as a 3rd down possession receiver, which IMO is what we need.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

March 8th, 2005, 1:57 pm
Site Admin

That's what I am saying tom...I was more excited about Streets last year than I am about Bradford this year and Streets was so bad. I almost think if somehow Mike Williams or B.Edwards slides the Lions might go for them. Why not with Rogers being so fagile. Anyways...I just have the feeling that Bradford would be terrible.

In FA though I am almost thinking David Terrell would be a worth while risk. He is still young big and fast. Nothing like a new start to ignite his abilities. Plus we could probably get a good deal on him. Otherwise I only see like Joe Jurevicius and then after that not much else...maybe Grandpa Rice???

March 8th, 2005, 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Jomo- Gabe Watson is playing at UM next year.

WR- I dont want to see David Terrell come. He just doesnt get it. Bradford would be an average receiver, I would prefer someone better or go with Hakim. At times last year it looked like Joey was attempting to execute Hakim last year with his throws over the middle. Early in the year Hakim appeared to be over his hip injury of 2 years ago and made plays for us. The Lions knew they werent getting much with Streets, thats why they only gave him a 1 year deal. He is tall and gives a good effort but is also slow and skinny. Bradford is better but does not change our offense much. They wont take another WR in round 1 but it is an interesting thought given our injuries and poor depth at that position.

March 8th, 2005, 11:15 pm
Site Admin

<--- still likes Hakim for the right price. He seems like a better 2ndary option than anything else out there. But I suggest David T because he should be cheap, he is young, and played for the worst QBs in history through his career.

March 8th, 2005, 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Legend.... thanks for the info, I'm a huge Michigan fan and I thought Gabe was a senior :oops: As for WR I like David Terrell. He has all the talent in the world, just needs some work or a slap upside the noggin.

March 9th, 2005, 7:36 am
League MVP

I also am a UM fan. Terrell needs all of us to slap him in the noggin. I agree that he has talent and that his QBs have been rotated and are poor. But other guys played well there - Marty Booker, Dez White, Marcus Robinsonand the young guys Wade, Gage and Berrian seemed to have passed him towards the end of last year.
Gabe Watson has a thing or two left to work on but I think he will be an absolute stud. In HS he was nothing more than a big out of shape kid who could run fast, he would wow you sometimes. He has really improved each year at UM Physically he has lost weight is even faster and stronger and has some great technique although he doesnt always use his moves at the right times and doesnt know much about where the ball is. He is a 1st round talent when he comes out next year.

March 9th, 2005, 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]