View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pinner at FB? 
RIP Killer

Post Pinner at FB?
So someone on mlive mentioned putting Pinner at FB. Would this worked if he packed on about 15 pounds of muscle? He'd have fullback size at 250 and he has a low center of gravity at 5'11''. I know he's kind of slow to pick up blocks and he's not a very quick back, but is it possible to mold him into a FB and then pick up a straight ahead bruiser at RB?

March 10th, 2005, 12:13 pm
RIP Killer

Sledge is our #1 FB. I think most people have also forgot about Paul Smith, because he spent last year on IR, but he is also on the roster this year and will likely be the backup FB. They also look at Bryson as more of a FB than Pinner at this point.

March 10th, 2005, 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Agreed Pablo, but I don't think Sledge has too many more seasons left in him...hopefully we can get a good FB in the draft to learn from the beast and then take over in a year or two.

March 10th, 2005, 12:32 pm
Site Admin

Yeah to me a running back and a full back have completely different philosophies. One wants to hit the opponent and the other wants to avoid the hits. I think its a mentality that would be difficult to change in someone and that's what makes FBs like CoryS and Mike Alstott so good.

March 10th, 2005, 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I liked when Bryson lined up at Fullback a few times last season. I know he isnt a blocking fullback or even going too play fullback. but, he gives another pass option plus a good straight foward runner.

March 10th, 2005, 12:43 pm
RIP Killer

I think Bryson is a much better runner and receiver than Pinner, which is why I asked if he could play FB (put Bryson as a solid 3rd down back).

I did forget about Paul Smith and made the proposition due to the fact that Sledge is getting up there and may only be around for another 2 years. Is Smith good enough to take over for Sledge? I've never really paid attention to his game.

It's too bad the Veer would do absolutely horrible in college and pro football. We ran it in high school and it was awesome. Too bad we averaged about 3 fumbles a game.

March 10th, 2005, 1:00 pm
Site Admin

Too bad we averaged about 3 fumbles a game.

:lol:

March 10th, 2005, 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

It's too bad the Veer would do absolutely horrible in college and pro football. We ran it in high school and it was awesome. Too bad we averaged about 3 fumbles a game.

DE speed plays a lot in shutting down the veer.

Carson Newman a NCAA division 2 school runs the veer and they do a great job at it.

They have won a couple on national titles

March 10th, 2005, 1:07 pm
RIP Killer

That's why I said it would do horrible because of DEs like Dan Cody and Matt Roth who are really quick and can beat an OT outside.

The veer can work if you have fantastic pulling gaurds and tackles who can take clear out blitzing LBs (which we didn't have in HS). Carson-Newman had an awesome OL, averaging 340+ yards rushing per game last year.

March 10th, 2005, 1:32 pm
RIP Killer

I did forget about Paul Smith and made the proposition due to the fact that Sledge is getting up there and may only be around for another 2 years. Is Smith good enough to take over for Sledge? I've never really paid attention to his game.

Paul Smith is a waste. He played some fullback last year in the pre-season and whiffed on blocks continuously. He also dropped passes more than once. I don't know WHAT Mariucci sees in him?!

Also, I believe Pinner is only about 5'9"; way too short for the fullback position. He would be better used as a short yardage/goalline back. He moves the pile and always goes forward. Bryson wasn't impressive as a fullback, and was used as more of a decoy than anything else. I believe Thump Belton is still on the roster, isn't he?

March 10th, 2005, 2:15 pm
RIP Killer

Thump was picked up by the Bears in late December, he isn't on the Lions roster. I liked him and he had a great name for a FB.

I'm not a big fan of Smith either, but he is one of the old Mooch guys from San Fran. So I'm guessing Mooch likes him, Millen does not - same old story.

March 10th, 2005, 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

March 10th, 2005, 2:27 pm
League MVP

I agree that Paul Smith is not much of a fullback. He is decent with the ball, catching and running but really did miss loads of blocks in the preseason. He shouldnt come back bc Bryson can line up at fullback and do the same things better than him. Pinner is quick and shifty as an inside runner, can move piles, and is a very good pass receiver. He is not fast though and he tends to try to drive piles too often which doesnt work because he is small. I dunno about his blocking, 250 might be a lot of weight for his frame, probably is closer to 5'9" tall. I like him in short yardage but I think they could do themselves a favor by upgrading at backup RB. Gotta wonder why they drafted him when Lee Suggs and a healthy Onterrio Smith were still available in that draft. Domanick Davis was even drafted after him although I had no idea who he was at the time.

March 10th, 2005, 7:16 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

In all of the posts since the original question, I agree with the Sledge then everyone else statements, but am I missing something? Why do the Lions need a straight ahead bruiser at running back? What's wrong with KJ?

March 11th, 2005, 5:47 am
Modmin Dude

In all of the posts since the original question, I agree with the Sledge then everyone else statements, but am I missing something? Why do the Lions need a straight ahead bruiser at running back? What's wrong with KJ?

I think that they're talking about a replacement for Sledge in a couple years. We will be just fine a RB with KJ, that's for sure. :wink:

March 11th, 2005, 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next