View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 11:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Highlight Reel 3/11 
Modmin Dude

Post Highlight Reel 3/11
Quote:
Friday, March 11, 2005

TWITKB Notes -- Friday update
Before you take off on the weekend and forget about your lovely Lions' free agency hopes, get the latest update from the Killer in the forum.

8:36 a.m. - TomKowalski: Update ... nobody is scheduled to meet with the lions today ... in fact, the lions don't have any visits set up for the foreseeable future ... i can't confirm the plaxico burress rumors, but it sounds doubtful to me ... burress wants to make a big splash with his new team, but that isn't likely to happen with his no. 3 status in detroit ... demulling is still a possibility, but i know the lions won't get in a bidding war ... again, garcia will make up his mind by the end of the weekend, if not sooner ...

loveemhateem: Spielman's name is out ther for the color coordinator thing. What's your take on who fills the positon? Thanks for answering questions today by the way.
TomKowalski: My feeling ... i think the lions would strongly consider either spielman or kramer -- if they lived in town ... i think brandstatter will return ...

AF81: #3 WR ... Obviously the Plax talk is rediculous and un realistic. But who are they looking at for that spot? You mentioned earlier how important that #3 WR position was to Lions brass and that they'll spend a good amount of cap space on it....so who are they looking at? Why not a guy like Kevin Johnson (who has great hands) or even someone like David Terell?
TomKowalski: About the receivers ... the lions are going to be patient with the receivers ... they don't think there are any great candidates out there ... if somebody comes in at the right price, they'll sign him ... they won't stress their cap ... like i said before, after signing the backup qb, the lions are going to take a wait-and-watch attitude ... other players might be coming free, especially after the draft ... the lions don't want to lock themselves into a bad signing ...

CouldWinSix: If Garcia 2 Seattle or Denver, that would seem to put Brad Johnson in Chicago? Question is, if Lions lose out on both of these guys, what/who then?
TomKowalski: They're very confident they'll get one

maddog43: Tom if Demulling then Neil??
TomKowalski: Neil is more of a June option

chumpfan: Tom, how soon before we get word on what DeMulling is going to do? Seems like the Bills can't afford him, so Lions just have to make him a "fair and reasonable" offer?
TomKowalski: I believe the offer's already been made

rixico: Is McDougal's price coming down yet?
TomKowalski: I don't think he's an option

loveemhateem: What is the deal with Bell or Pritchett?? Is Pritch retiring? Thanks
TomKowalski: On Pritchett ... i'm not sure he'll be back ... even if he is, they know they can't get more than a dozen plays a game out of him ... they're still talking to bell, they want him back ...

GVWLION: Tom, was an offer made to Cory Bradford ??
TomKowalski: I don't think so

rixico: any chance the lions go after a RT in FA? Are they looking at anyone?
TomKowalski: Extremely unlikely

redwing4ever: RT -- Tom, you have watched these guys practice. Do you think either Butler or Rogers can handle the position?
TomKowalski: On RT ... they both have the physical skills ... we'll have to see how they perform on the field ... i know the lions are very high on butler ...

MotownMasher: Tom How much cap space do we have left?
TomKowalski: Not sure, but they're not tight

RoaryTime: Another cap question, Tom, Do they have enough room to take a look at Darren Sharper? The guys got a lot more wheels than Holt, and he's only 29..
TomKowalski: Sharper is very, very unlikely

flionlion: TOM Hakim to return if they can't find another FA WR after June 1?
TomKowalski: Not likely; they'll hit WR in the draft

Dedric: Is Holt our FS?
TomKowalski: My guess is yes

50yardline: LB coach ... any names? your opinion?
TomKowalski: Nothing happening yet

Print | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

McMahon signs with Eagles
The Eagles announced today they've just added some pressure for the underperforming Koy Detmer (that's a joke) -- Mike McMahon signs a two-year contract. Here's what McMike has to say after signing.

"I always said to myself that if was going to be a backup, I wanted to be one for a team that had a chance to win the Super Bowl and I have that chance here behind one of the best quarterbacks in the league," he said. "It was hard in Detroit because they kept on saying, 'We'll let you compete.' That wasn't really the situation. But, I learned a lot. I learned a lot about the NFL and I learned a lot about the business.

"It was a good experience. I did get some playing time and I had the chance to go through some situations I would never have had the chance to be in."
"I always liked Marty. I think he's a great coach and a great offensive coach," said McMahon. "We had a very productive offense when he was there in Detroit. It's going to be nice to work with him again, especially when a coach shows an interest in you for the second time after drafting you. It's nice to be with coaches who bring you in. It's nice to be back with Marty, in the same offense. I don't have to go out and learn anything new.

In other news, fifty percent of our Lions forum is on the verge of suicide. (That's a joke, too.)

March 11th, 2005, 1:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

We had a very productive offense when he was there in Detroit.

:shock:

March 11th, 2005, 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

McMike wrote:
We had a very productive offense when he was there in Detroit.

:shock:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I read it

March 11th, 2005, 4:24 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Update to Highlight Reel 3/11
Quote:
Friday, March 11, 2005

Killer says 90 percent chance for Garcia
Earlier this week, Tom Kowalski stunned the forum by boldly proclaiming his odds of the Lions signing Jeff Garcia as being 80-20. Today... he upped the ante.

EXBroker: Tom, still 80/20? The odds of us signing Garcia?
TomKowalski: Probably 90-10 at this point

The Seattle Times reports the Seahawks were going to try and "kidnap" Garcia, but it didn't work.

Quarterback Jeff Garcia, a former San Francisco 49er and Cleveland Brown, arrived yesterday just before noon for his visit with the Seahawks. Garcia spent the day meeting with coaches and front-office staff. The team had hoped to sign Garcia before he left town, but no deal was reached.

Brad Johnson, who will be the Lions' target if Garcia chooses to go elsewhere, is quoted in the Chicago Sun-Times saying he'll start as a back-up for the Bears or the Lions, but doesn't plan to stay that way.

"If it's here, I'll be Rex's biggest fan,'' Johnson said. "If it's in Detroit, I'll be Joey [Harrington's] biggest fan. But I'm not somewhere for my health. There's a reason. I'm trying to get my second Super Bowl win.''

As a side note, on one of those free agents that got away, how would you have reacted if the Lions successfully out-bid the Cowboys for Marco Rivera and this came up:

A week after receiving a $9 million signing bonus, Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Marco Rivera underwent surgery to repair a bulging disk in his lower back. He's expected to return in time for training camp.

Print | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

Cross off Denver for Garcia
If this one tiny line, from this one large story from FoxSports.com is correct then it's between the Lions and the Seahawks for Garcia.

Negotiations between the Broncos and unemployed QB Jeff Garcia are breaking down.

I've been hearing about a possible press conference at 4pm DT (Detroit Time) maybe its Garcia

March 11th, 2005, 4:49 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Update to Highlight Reel 3/11
TheRealWags wrote:
I've been hearing about a possible press conference at 4pm DT (Detroit Time) maybe its Garcia

I've heard that too Wags, but I'm chalking it up to just a rumor. I'm thinking if something does happen, it won't be until tommorow at the earliest. My guess is that someone posted this on a forum somewhere and its just spreading. The timing makes no sense to me and I don't think Garcia is in Detroit - they wouldn't hold a press conference without him. I don't know of any other FAs in Detroit at the moment either.

Sounds bogus to me.

March 11th, 2005, 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

In Marty's 1st season with us we had the #6 passing offense in the NFL despite 4 games of Detmer and being down to our last couple of receivers. Say what you want about Marty but the guy can call and scheme a helluva game. He got production out of bird man Aveion Cason, lamont Warren and even a solid game from Rafael Cooper who might've just been some guy walking around the street. Marty never wanted Joey who forced him to change his schemes. On a team with no WRs and a young OL your QB needs to buy you extra time for those WRs. With Joey that changed into dump the ball immediately so that we dont get negative yards. McMike % is lower than joey's particularly bc of this. Joey, hello? James Stewart and Shawn Bryson arent supposed to be your leading receivers.

March 11th, 2005, 8:59 pm
RIP Killer

But when you have schlubs who can't catch the balls or who can't get open, and you have a sure thing in a 5 yards pass to your back, you've gotta take it. It's not all Joey's fault. Then again, preseasons didn't show us an explosive offense either.

March 12th, 2005, 10:48 am
League MVP

the point is that somehow they got better production with detmer, batch and mcmike with schlubs then with joey and an improvement of the schlubs...

March 12th, 2005, 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]