View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Lions Radio Team Out 
Site Admin

Post Lions Radio Team Out
Infinity broadcasting has dropped Mark Champion and Brandy is probably gone as well. Don't be confused...this was Infinity according to what Mark Champion said on the radio this morning and not the Lions. I posted my thoughts on the bottom. Although I am sure the Lions can have a final say.

DetNews.com wrote:
Thursday, March 10, 2005

Lions switch play-by-play men

Fox 2's Miller will replace Champion on radio broadcasts; Brandstatter might go.

By Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- The Lions will have a new voice in 2005.

Dan Miller has been hired to do play-by-play on radio broadcasts of Lions games on WKRK 97.1. Miller, sports director at Fox 2, replaces Mark Champion, who has broadcast Lions games since 1989.

The switch was confirmed Wednesday by Rich Homberg, vice president and general manager of WKRK, one of Infinity Broadcasting's Metro Detroit properties.

The Lions recently completed negotiations on a five-year contract to retain WKRK as its flagship station.

Miller will remain at Fox 2 and have other Lions-related broadcast duties on WKRK.

Hiring Miller is a signal that WKRK plans major changes for how it promotes its relationship with the Lions. That includes cross promotions with Fox 2, Homberg said.

In recent seasons, Miller has done play-by-play for the Fox network's telecasts of NFL games. He will broadcast the entire Lions schedule -- all four exhibitions and 16 regular-season games.

"We clearly chased Dan for this job," Homberg said. "The guy is extraordinary.

"He'll be great for this job. We worked real hard in the offseason with the Lions to get the right deal and to put everything into position. With Fox's long-term commitment and our long-term commitment at Infinity, there's a chance for a unique opportunity."

Other components of the game-day broadcast have not been solidified. Analyst Jim Brandstatter is not likely to be retained. Sideline reporter Tony Ortiz will be back with expanded duties as the chief day-to-day reporter on the Lions for Infinity's Detroit stations, Homberg said.

Champion, who does Pistons broadcasts on WDFN 1130, met with Homberg on Wednesday.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed," Champion said. "It's the nature of the broadcast business, and I understand that.

"It's just been an honor to be with the team for 16 years."

Personally although they suffered from a bit of homeristic calls I liked the duo and this move bugs me. Although I think well of Dan Miller I am bit upset. Mark Champion on the radio this morning was as gracious about it as one could and it made it all the worse. These guys have been doing this for 16 years together...and the become a staple of what your used to. It was like (not as bad though) when the Tigers tried to replace Ernie in the booth before he was ready to go. Change my coaches, change my QB, but for goodness sake part of the fun of sports, especially radio, is that feeling you get with familiar voices of the play by play guy that you have listened to for years.

A mistake IMO :?

March 10th, 2005, 9:39 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lots of little changes this year. They are also adding a third uniform, it's gonna be black with blue trim. Can't wait to see it.

I thought the broadcasting team did a pretty good job. I associate them with Barry runs, you hear them on all the old highlights. Hey, if the Tigers could let go Harwell, anything can happen in radio. Is Blahahaha next?

March 10th, 2005, 10:26 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

I loved Champion and Brandstatter. Blaha will go when he is ready too. Dumars is a class guy who admits to mistakes and salvages like with Mateen Cleaves and Rodney White, traded both and got his 1st rd picks back. Dont know if Millen was behind any of this but I know he doesnt respond well to criticism and is a complete Poo-hole. For example, jonnie morton lockerroom incident; badmouthing own team with Ditka on the radio, firing coach Marty after setting him up for doom, and overruling head coach Mooch on playing time decisions. Probably even cheats in Bocce ball.

March 10th, 2005, 7:23 pm
QB Coach

My favorite call from last year was in the Minnesota game, and we were watching the extra point that we missed, and they said "Ahhh, they blew it"... i'm sorry, but it's like they showed the emotion of years of frustration and were expecting the extra point to miss.

March 13th, 2005, 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

I liked the call when Joey tossed the pick against the Bears that went for a TD and let the Bears back into the game. Champion just immediately shouted a frustrated "terrible!" as he made the call. It was hilarious.

March 13th, 2005, 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]