View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Who do you want for QB#3? 
RIP Killer

Post Who do you want for QB#3?
With Garcia signed the Lions still have to add a third piece to the QB puzzle. I'm curious who everyone thinks should be that guy.

Harrington still seems to be an unkown. Inconsistency is the key hurdle for him to overcome. Garcia looks like 1B, more than a number two QB. But he is only signed for one year. I don't see the Lions grabbing a QB in the draft with their 1st or 2nd round draft pick. I do think that they could look at grabbing a QB as early as round three. If that is the case I'm looking for a guy with a lot of upside, my pick:

Adrian McPherson, he played in the Arena League last season so you may have forgot about him. He played for the Indiana Firebirds (3,297 yards, 61 TDs, 5 INTs). In college he played for Florida State (14 TDs, 1 INT). He is a boom or bust type guy and an interesting sleeper pick.

He has been on my radar since Mike's article on QB draft prospects:

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=articles& ... 1-top10-qb

Quote:
Dark Horse

Adrian McPherson - Played on the Indiana Firebirds in the Arena League, former Florida State quarterback. Has excellent height at 6?4? and has a very live arm. Lack of college experience will hurt his stock, but not as much as his legal history. A strong workout and good interview will put him on some draft day wish lists. Could he be the second coming of Kurt Warner? Probably not out of the question. Draft status could be anywhere from round two to being an undrafted free agent on various big boards, depending on how teams react to his history versus his talent level.

Downside, character issues. Was brought up on misdemeanor gambling charges.

This guy is a great athelete. He certainly brings a lot of mobility to the QB position. He could slip into the 4th or 5th round. I hope the Lions interviewed this guy at the combine. IMO, he has the skills to be an elite player in the NFL and I think he is the type of guy the Lions should be looking to add behind Harrington and Garcia.

March 13th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

McPherson sounds like a good choice, mobility, speed and a decent arm. Great fit for the West Coast and probably a loss cost project with a huge upside.

March 13th, 2005, 1:30 pm
All State

if charlie frye fell into the third round i would consider him. mcpherson is a nice sleeper pick. where is he going at in the mock drafts?

March 13th, 2005, 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Is McPherson even in the draft? Seeing how he played Arena ball, shouldn't he be a undrafted FA?

March 13th, 2005, 3:39 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

I like Lefors but Pablo is right upside is not that high, he would be a late choice IMO maybe 6 or 7th, could learn a lot from Garcia though, they are similar.
Would love to see MacPherson get a chance he is fast and has a big arm, sounds like he might've turned the corner with the character issues, take him if he's there in the 4th. Worth the gamble there.
I really think Orton can become a good NFL qb but I have no idea what the opinions are about him or where he is projected, I think he might be gone before we are ready to take a QB. I would take Andrew Walter ASU before him though.
Another sleeper type guy I like is Walter Washington from Temple, big dude with a big arm and a tough runner kinda wild like a supersized McMahon. I'm guessing he'd be a rd7 or undrafted guy bc his college teams were awful.

March 13th, 2005, 3:51 pm
QB Coach

McPherson really helped himself at the combine. Although his 40 was around 4.7, he's much quicker. He pulled his hamstring and that time isn't accurate. Mike Mayock said there is a chance he could be picked in the 3rd round. I wouldn't spend a 7th round pick on him, and judging from what they have done with their drafts in past years, the Lions wouldn't either. He gambled on his own team when he knew he was breaking the rules. I mean, I understand that you are a college kid who needs money, but you never gamble on a NCAA football game. He admitted his mistakes and moved on though. He is trying to make the best out of the situation. He scored a 26 on his wonderlic which is above average.

Anyways, back to the question.... I think the Lions draft a QB late in the draft now that they signed Garcia. We have Anes in NFL Europe... and he could be the #3 QB if things work out with him. I like Ryan Fitzpatrick of Harvard... he could be a solid quarterback for the #3 spot. Someone mentioned Washington... I talked to a scout who said that Washington is even being looked at as a linebacker as a prospect. He's a great athlete, and was on an absolutely awful team. But RD 7 or undrafted seems right for him.

March 13th, 2005, 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I personally like Stefan LeFors. Then again he's got sort of a "noodle arm" and I think the last thing anyone wants is a QB who can't throw the long ball with pinpoint accuracy.

McPherson...I'm not sold. I don't think he's all that great. He's quick, not fast. I think he could play like Vick, but will never be as good as Vick, and I'm not sold on him either (Marcus Vick is a bum).

Stan Hill or Derek Anderson would be a decent late round picks. Looking at the picks that'll be taken in rounds 4, 6 and 7...we can't get much bang for our buck.

Andrew Walter would be a steal if we could get him in round 4 or later...had a shoulder injury that'll drop his stock.

March 14th, 2005, 8:38 am
Red Shirt Freshman

I would take the guy who has the best accuracy. I'm sick and tired of q'backs not being able to hit a WR in stride!!!

March 14th, 2005, 6:10 pm
All State

I would take the guy who has the best accuracy. I'm sick and tired of q'backs not being able to hit a WR in stride!!!

50 years and counting. :lol: you would think that the lions could at least get lucky and find a decent qb over the course of a half century.

March 14th, 2005, 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

I would take Chad Pennington's noodle arm in a heartbeat. Lefors is worth a late rd pick.

March 14th, 2005, 8:57 pm
Fair Weather Fan

Mcpherson is being ranked as a 3-4 rounder I hope we dont waste a 1-4 round picks on a number 3 QB I say we take someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick in the 6th.

March 15th, 2005, 8:07 am
RIP Killer

McPherson is a likely second or third rounder. Most teams will overlook his past indiscretions and credit them to being young and foolish. Adrian has all the tools and would have been a first rounder had he not messed up. I believe he is moving up draft charts for most teams looking for some QB help. He won't be available late round. I would be shocked if he was. I feel he's the fourth or fifth QB taken this draft.

A name I haven't seen mentioned is Gino Guidugli. He has a strong arm, good size and is pretty accurate. His problems though, are the same as Joey's. He will lock onto receivers, makes poor reads and decisions at times, and can fall into displaying poor mechanics for periods of time. However, as a late round developmental pick he would be a wise choice.

Plus, he's at least part Italian. Can't go wrong with a paisan. :mrgreen:

March 15th, 2005, 10:18 am
QB Coach

Mcpherson is being ranked as a 3-4 rounder I hope we dont waste a 1-4 round picks on a number 3 QB I say we take someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick in the 6th.

Hop on that bandwagon with me :D

March 15th, 2005, 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Anyone see the article on McPherson in ESPN the Mag? It seemed like he was over the character issues. From what I read in the article, it seems he is very mature because of his struggles and has a huge work ethic. Watches game film over and over. His character issues and how he has rebounded from them impresses me a lot. Maybe he could be the next Kurt Warner minus the wife and the burnout :lol:

March 22nd, 2005, 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He has been working on improving his image and his character. He's done a pretty good job of it as well, but then again, how do you forget Pete Rose? Gambling on a sport you play isn't something GMs can easily overlook, even if you have studied game film til the cows come home. McPherson is a great prospect, but I would rather see another QB drafted by the Lions such as Kyle Orton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Andrew Walter (definite steal on day 2 if he falls that far).

March 23rd, 2005, 10:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next