View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Who do you want for QB#3? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

He shouldn't have gambled, but I respect him all the more for apoligising to his team and for getting strait. I think he would be the hardest worker on the team and would be as asset.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:49 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He has been working on improving his image and his character. He's done a pretty good job of it as well, but then again, how do you forget Pete Rose? Gambling on a sport you play isn't something GMs can easily overlook, even if you have studied game film til the cows come home. McPherson is a great prospect, but I would rather see another QB drafted by the Lions such as Kyle Orton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Andrew Walter (definite steal on day 2 if he falls that far).

If the NFL is willing to accept drug abuse, gambling should be treated the same way. The kid didn't do anything wrong as a pro athlete. He made a poor decision in college. It needs to be set aside now and give him a chance as an adult.

March 23rd, 2005, 6:34 pm
Varsity Captain

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Dan Orlovsky from UCONN in the fourth. The guy has an NFL arm and put up solid numbers with mediocre recievers. I saw him play 4 games last season and hes a gamer, the kids tough as nails and I would love to see him wearing a lions uniform in 05.

March 30th, 2005, 11:24 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I heard a lot of people saying Purdues QB in the 5th...(i cant remember his name right now and im too lazy to look it up right now)

Michael Huff for DROY

March 31st, 2005, 11:38 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Kyle Orton. He's pretty good, despite his up and down year. He's one of the top 5 QBs in the draft, look for him to be gone on day 1.

March 31st, 2005, 11:53 am
Stadium Announcer

I doubt the Lions are going to take a chance on Adrian. I read an article that said Kyle Orton was going to do a private work out for Lions. I expect the lions on planning on grabbing Orton in the 3rd round

March 31st, 2005, 12:21 pm
RIP Killer

That would be a good pick, he's a quality player and an early 3rd would be a worthy pick.

March 31st, 2005, 3:30 pm

Why not take a gamble on McPherson? If he makes the switch to the big field well, he should be starter quality. I'm no expert on the draft, but I think we should give McPherson a good hard look.

March 31st, 2005, 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I like the Idea of taking a QB in the 3rd round. Garcia is only a short term stop-gap at #2, so I would love to see the Lions take someone with lots of upside. IMO the 3rd should have a good boom bust guy still around. My choices in the order I like them:

McPherson (this guy has so much hype around him he could actually go before the third) :shock:
Campbell
Frye
Orton (I just wish he was a little more mobil)

If they do take someone later on, I like Lefors. I know he's small but in a way it makes me route for him. Who doesn't like to see the little guy go out and prove people wrong....(lol can anyone tell I'm not the biggest guy in the world) tongue3.gif

March 31st, 2005, 5:15 pm
RIP Killer

If the Lions are going to use a third round pick on a QB, I would prefer it to be McPherson. Regardless of his history, this guy is a specimen and should be allowed to enter the NFL based on his abilities. Of all the QBs that may be available in the third round, he's probably the best overall.

March 31st, 2005, 7:51 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

You know what is great about the Lions and gambling? probley one of our greatest player was suspended for one year it. Karras is one of the greats. :arrow:

March 31st, 2005, 11:05 pm
Stadium Announcer

Post Lions 3rd QB
The Lions do need to draft a QB unless they pick someone up in the f/a market.

I will argue that, that person should be Kyle Orton. I realize that Anes has played in Europe and that McPherson played in the Arens League but that is irrelevant. Neither has played in the NFL.

I will give Pablo his props for McPherson but I disagree with his assumption about his character.

First of all, Orton played all four years at Purdue, (some as a back up), and outside of that thing on his face there is nothing that would eleminate him from consideration as a pro quarterback in my mind.

He played in a system that emulated the west coast offense if not actually calling itself that. He had to go through three to four reads every offensive pass play and dealt with numeruos defensive schemes.

Orton does have some ability to escape the pocket and can find the open receiver. I believe that he would be a better prospect for the LIONS than any other qb.

The last time the Lions drafted A roll-out passer it was Andre Ware; a total bust.

Lets think about this, who has a scrambling passing quarterback in the NFL today that is worth his salary? Favre was excellent for 7 years then he stopped running. Vick is young and has yet to prove his worth. Every other qb who starts is not considereded a scrambler. Sorry "Jake the Snake I'm Hurt applies" as well as Culpepper who only does it because he has to.

When the Lions do draft a qb they need to consider there offensive system as opposed to their system.

April 1st, 2005, 12:05 am
Site Admin

April 1st, 2005, 12:16 am
Profile WWW

You would have to coach him to stay in the pocket more. Like Alpha pointed our McNabb, who is well worth his salary. He used to primarliy run, but he finally transformed into a pocket passer. That running ability is a great second weapon, but he will look to pass first. Thats what McPherson would have to learn.

BTW, I think that his character is better than most, considering what he had to go through and the how he fought back to the top.

April 1st, 2005, 9:06 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

hmm lets see...running/mobile QBs that were good?
Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, John Elway, Rich Gannon,
Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick, Steve McNair, Jeff Garcia, Mark Brunell, Brett Favre...Wouldnt want anyone with that kind of ability, now would we.
I like Andrew Walter, Jason Campbell, MacPherson, and Stefon Lefors as potential QBs for us depending on value. I think that whoever gets Orton is getting a guy that will at least be a quality backup and will be in the league for 10 years.

April 1st, 2005, 9:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next