View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Joey to be cuy June 1??? 
Modmin Dude

Post Joey to be cuy June 1???
I've been reading some rumors that have been floating around from "insiders" that Joey will be a June 1 cut. What would the cap hit be if he were to be cut? Do you think that he could be a June 1 cut?

March 17th, 2005, 10:23 am
RIP Killer

I don't see Harrington being cut by the Lions this year. If they would have gone after a guy like Brees or Hasselbeck, then it might have happened. The teams only other QB at this point is a 35-year-old Garcia who is on a one year deal. I can't imagine any scenario now with ballgame getting cut this year.

But to humor you, Joey is due a roster bonus of $3M on July 1. His base for 2005 is $4.95M (after reaching the escalator clauses in his contract).

If released before July 1, his cap figure would be close to $10.5M.

If released after July 1, the cap figure would drop to $8M (with another $5M hit in 2006).

Those are my best estimates anyway!

The guys I see more likely to get cut would be the veterans with sizable contracts. IMO the three who are the most likely candidates are Hakim, Marion and Wilkinson. Then again, its just business. :lol:

March 17th, 2005, 10:33 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Hakim and Marion being cut I could live with. Right now we need Big Daddy to tutor whomever we bring, he is still a helluva ballplayer just not as much left in the tank.

Joey getting cut? Not unless the draft Aaron Rogers

March 17th, 2005, 10:39 am
Peewee Leaguer

Post nah
Harrington won't be cut, but I did read awhile ago, he was willing to restructure his contract. My guess is he started sweating about the free agent rumors. And I agree that losing wilkinson would be bad, he doesn't have alot left, but he has presence which helps get S. Rogers in there. So having Big D is not a bad thing. I always liked Hakim, and don't want him to go. He played his rectum off last season, yeah I know he had alot of dropped passes, but he did make some catches when it counted. If I remember he's the one who broke the longest td of the season. Marion on the other hand doesn't have the speed to keep up. Watch for Cash or Goodman to be cut. or Swinton (if he hasn't been already?) Also does anyone know where Burress is going? or Bradford for that matter, also I read today that there are a bunch of saftey's that just got released. Maybe one to fill Marions spot?

March 17th, 2005, 11:01 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am comfortable with the the starters we have now, Kennedy and Holt. We don't need to cut Az either, just restructure.

March 17th, 2005, 11:23 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Cash, Goodman and Swinton are all free agents right now, they are not on the roster and can't be cut. The Lions could choose not to resign them.

Bradford is still being targeted by the Lions, if they sign him Hakim could be gone.

I picked Hakim, Marion and Wilkinson as possible cuts due to their age and salaries. I don't have there bonus figures in front of me, but there base salaries for next year alone are:

Hakim - $2.35M
Wilkinson - $2.125M
Marion - $1.35M

I think Hakim played decent as well last year but unless he restructures his contract, I don't see him sticking around. Especially if they sign Bradford (or another FA WR). Big Daddy and Big Baby are the only two DT on the roster right now, they need to re-sign Bell and forget about Pritchett. That still only would leave the club with 3 DTs on the roster unless they move Redding over from end.

March 17th, 2005, 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

That would be so dumb to cut Joey, you know it is not all his fault and i can't stand all these rumors flying around. If we cut Joey we are back to square 1 with no quarterback to groom and a 35 year old washed up starter. :!: :!: :!:

March 17th, 2005, 2:23 pm
Modmin Dude

Personally I would prefer to give Joey 1 more year, but then again I'm not in charge. :cry: But if these rumors are true, I'm starting to think that it all depends on if they draft a good QB prospect or if they are able to pick up another one in FA (though I'm not sure if there are any FA QBs available)

March 17th, 2005, 4:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I dont expect the Lions to cut any of those guys unless they bring in an upgrade via draft or post june 1 free agency. We are comfortably under the cap so it doesnt make sense to go further under if you are not going to add anybody. Too late to cut Joey for the same reason. Lions did the same thing a couple years ago, Stewart had a $5 million deal and they restructured but never spent the money elsewhere.

March 17th, 2005, 7:33 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I've been reading some rumors that have been floating around from "insiders" that Joey will be a June 1 cut. What would the cap hit be if he were to be cut? Do you think that he could be a June 1 cut?

Not a chance, no way no how.Then we would be left with what?
an aging, on the decline 35 year old on a 1 year contract? Please. Millen has been criticized for a lot of his choices, some good some bad, but THIS would be the absolute stupidest thing they EVER did. I happen to think the M&M have some sense.

March 18th, 2005, 9:14 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Hey wags, these rumors.........have you been hearing them on the Lions web page or maybe kffl? Or are they coming from the voices from "inside?" LOL

March 19th, 2005, 1:06 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Oh goodie, looks like we can sit back and enjoy another 3-4 years of 'rebuilding' if he gets cut.

Wags posted this a while ago and I think that it pretty much sums up what would happen if we get rid of Joey. I don't like him, but we can't put ourselves in such a bad situation.

March 20th, 2005, 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Hey wags, these rumors.........have you been hearing them on the Lions web page or maybe kffl? Or are they coming from the voices from "inside?" LOL

LOL :lol:
No these people claim that they are insiders in the Lions organization or that they know people in the organization.

March 21st, 2005, 9:11 am
RIP Killer

That'd be a kick in the groin to the organization, whether Joey starts the season #1 or not. Just doesn't make sense to cut him. They're not in dire need of his cap money and there's no one out there worth spending the money on. We'd be down to Garcia, Rookie, some vet schmuck like Mirer.

March 21st, 2005, 9:30 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I agree that he shouldnt be cut but I dont think that it is so obvious. 10 million in cap space (5 mill salry + signing bonus + roster bonus) can get you some good players. If Joey is only average to begin with (he has actually been worse than average) he could be replaced with a big money savings. We have garcia already. Quincy Carter is available and there are guys that we could draft with better skills than Joey in as late as rd 3-4. they would save a lot of money at QB and strengthen the rest of the team with the saved money. QB would only have to be avg... ala TB, BAL super bowl winners....

March 21st, 2005, 11:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next