View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 2:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Joey to be cuy June 1??? 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Can somebody get the numbers on this I originally I heard that Harrington cap number for next season was close to 8 million now it's up to 10 million and growing. I'm pretty sure it's still more expensive to cut him than to keep him.

Also remember the average salary for a starting QB is around 6 million even for the average ones.

March 22nd, 2005, 2:46 am
League MVP

I was just hypothesizing. IMO, I would bring Joey back and hope that he shows us he was worth a 1st day pick - he will never justify top 5. Dont worry Leo, I am not trying to take you down like Brian did, chill this is a forum dude... I'll try again to explain

OK fine 8 million (it has been published as 10 million). Is he worth it? Drew Brees is getting that much post Pro Bowl season. 8 mill is more than the avg (you said 6) and Joey is actually a below avg performer thus far.
We could forget about the lure of an exceptional QB, save money on an avg one (actually an upgrade for us) and strengthen the rest of the team. Ravens, Bucs, Panthers did this in recent years and had strong teams. Of course it is too late to do this now as the big FA are now gone...

March 22nd, 2005, 8:42 am
RIP Killer

Joey is due a roster bonus of $3M July 1 and a 2005 salary of $4.95M. I don't know specifics for his 2006 salary but I can't imagine it would be around $10M. He's only gauranteed the roster bonus this year, to give the Lions a way to part with him if they felt the need. This is the year to cut, which I don't think they should do. Next year his salary should be around $6M, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

March 22nd, 2005, 8:55 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

What ever happened to Joey and As restructuring? Az was always just speculation, but Joey said he would be willing to. BTW, what is up with the rediculous contracts that teams give drafts picks without any indication that they will be stars? I wouldn't want to bet 10 million that my 1st round draft pick is the next Peyton Manning, not the next Ryan Leaf.

March 22nd, 2005, 9:02 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

M&M must not see it as a necessity to pursue. Az will have to restructure or he'll face getting cut, that's a given. I don't see why they don't restructure Joey's contract, especially if he's willing. It's stupid not to.

Granted, Joey hasn't had a good cast around him since he's been here, but he's not exactly living up to the awesome pocket presence he was supposed to be.

I also think the outrageous contracts that a #1 overall pick, or even the top 10 picks get are ludicrous. Look at Courtney Brown from Cleveland...he's got bust written all over him. After what, 3 years? He was a top five pick. That's just way too much money to invest in someone you hope can be a stud at the next level.

March 22nd, 2005, 9:32 am
Modmin Dude

Overall, I think Joey will be a fine QB IF he was in a different offense and IF he had a head coach that would actually support him.......that being said, Joey will do fine whereever he lands

March 22nd, 2005, 9:40 am
Pop Warner Vet

IF he had a head coach that would actually support him...
Do you really think that Mariucci is not actually supporting him? I'd rather say he is over-supporting him. Just take a look at Joey's streak of lousy games in the middle of last season - Mariucci didn't even think about replacing him in the starting lineup.

March 22nd, 2005, 9:51 am
Modmin Dude

TheRealWags wrote:
IF he had a head coach that would actually support him...
Do you really think that Mariucci is not actually supporting him? I'd rather say he is over-supporting him. Just take a look at Joey's streak of lousy games in the middle of last season - Mariucci didn't even think about replacing him in the starting lineup.

I think that was more or less Millen wanting Joey in there...I just get the feeling that Joey is NOT Mooch's man and never will be and if that is the case, then they need to get someone that IS Mooch's man

March 22nd, 2005, 9:59 am
RIP Killer

I don't think that's Mooch's excess faith in Joey, but rather Millen's lack of faith in McMike and excess faith in Joey. I don't think the call to not start, or play, McMike was entirely Mooch's call and there was a lot of Millen influence.

Millen doesn't want his #3 pick (on the verge of being labeled a bust) pulled for a backup who's only played 7 games in 3 years and isn't much better. Granted McMike can run, but he'd have a tougher time hitting Ron Artest with a cup than Joey would.

As a side note, does anyone honestly think that McMike would have done a better job than Joey with the cast of a hobbling Roy (only in on one or 2 downs a series), Hakim at #2, Kircus/Swinton at #3 and Alexander at TE? That's a rather rusty cast.

March 22nd, 2005, 10:05 am
Pop Warner Vet

As a side note, does anyone honestly think that McMike would have done a better job than Joey with the cast of a hobbling Roy (only in on one or 2 downs a series), Hakim at #2, Kircus/Swinton at #3 and Alexander at TE? That's a rather rusty cast.
I don't think McMike is the better QB than Joey, but sometimes it helps if you just try something different. Maybe Joey would have been pushed forward by realizing that losing his starting job is a realistic possibility - the Drew Brees effect.

March 22nd, 2005, 10:22 am
Site Admin

I think if Mike had 3+ years of support and development time that Joey got he would be further along Joey. All he didn't have was Joeys big name and his paycheck but he is more physically gifted and seems to have much thicker skin than the over protected Joey.

March 22nd, 2005, 10:27 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Not to start a debate of who's a better QB and strengths and weaknesses...

McMahon doesn't stay in the pocket and wait for receievers to get open, nor will he take a hit to deliver a good pass. He scrambles. Joey moves in the pocket and waits for an open receiver. Now, I'm not saying Joey does this well, nor will he take a hit to deliver a good ball (see Bear's int return for touchdown 12/04). McMahon does throw a rather crappy ball and accuracy is harder to teach than the ability to run away from a defender IMO. Foot mechanics are something that's difficult to teach as well, IMO, which McMike doesn't really have and Joey does.

Too bad we can't work out a deal with SD for Philip Rivers for JH and Az. Man that'd be sweet. Oh yeah, throw Walker in there, a six pack, and a couple cubans.

March 22nd, 2005, 10:57 am
Head Cheerleader

It's time to rant.....in Joey's defense...

Every year Joey has gotten better, he's progressed. The numbers aren't pretty, but still, if he progress's as the way he did over the last two years, then we'll have our QB. I'm just sick of all the blame being put on him. He's an average QB (IMO above average but not great) whos been on a horrible team for his first two years, below average/average last year, and next year we will finally be average/above average. I think we all agree, this year is make or break.

Joey lives a quote I learned in elem. school,
" When I do good, no one remembers, when I do bad, no one forgets."

He had some really good games, unfortunatly followed by some really bad ones. Again, inconsistent.

PS. I hated our OC last year (especially in the Red Zone), thank god he's gone.

March 22nd, 2005, 2:53 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

PS. I hated our OC last year (especially in the Red Zone), thank god he's gone.

Unfortunatly Mooch was the one who called the majority of the plays :shock:

March 23rd, 2005, 8:27 am
RIP Killer

Mooch is overhyped. Until he starts winning games and puts us in the playoffs, he'll be a bum in my book.

Should we have another losing season (God forbid) and Mooch is kicked to the curb (wouldn't care), who would everyone like to see as the new HC.

March 23rd, 2005, 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next