View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Joey to be cuy June 1??? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Mooch is kicked to the curb (wouldn't care), who would everyone like to see as the new HC.

Moller!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Seriously though, they never should have fired him. He would be our coach today.

March 23rd, 2005, 8:52 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Didn't Joey throw for more than 3,000 yards last year? Considering the recieving corps we had last year and a left guard that couldn't stop a bullet if it hit him in the rectum, I'd say that is called production. Granted he screwed the pooch at times. Those teams that did well with average QB's had something we didn't. Drive and intensity! If mooch can't get it out of our players then hire his buddy Izzy. A head coach making 5 mil a year better put up or hit the road.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not trying to put Joey in the same category as Mr. Farve., but Brett started out a an Atlanta Falcon and they thought he was worthless. OOPS! Give Joey a team to play with and then let's see what happens

March 23rd, 2005, 10:56 am
Site Admin

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not trying to put Joey in the same category as Mr. Farve., but Brett started out a an Atlanta Falcon and they thought he was worthless. OOPS! Give Joey a team to play with and then let's see what happens

Favre was with Atlanta for 1 season and never had serious play time. Like 5 attepts. I am not saying throw Joey away but Drew Brees is a much more suitable comparison. Brett from day 1 in Green Bay has never thrown under 3220+ yds and his first year and has never dipped below that often exceeding 4,000. I don't see that for Joeys future.

March 23rd, 2005, 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Post Just received more rumor info
Apparently, according to this source, the Lions are trying to work out a trade with an AFC team that will bring a legitamate threat to our offense in exchange for defense. I was thinking (condiering this is the same guy that was talking about Joey being cut) something like trading Bryant and Edwards to Cinci for Jon Kitna and/or Peter Warrick. Now if this were to go through and we were able to land Kitna, does that spell the end of the Joey era in D-Town??? Granted this is all speculation at this point, but what the heck else do you have to talk about??? What do you guys and gals think???

March 23rd, 2005, 2:06 pm
RIP Killer

I'd give that trade a big thumbs...sideways? I don't really see the point in the trade. I would much rather draft a QB. I wouldn't mind getting Warrick though... Edwards and Bryant are both expendable. Bryant can easily be replaced as well as Edwards...particularly with this year's draft. Both CB and DE are fairly deep in the draft this year.

March 23rd, 2005, 3:04 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Post I agree with conversion02
It makes absolutely no sense for the Lions to trade Joey for someone who is probably not much of an improvement.

I think the chances of Joey getting cut reduced significantly with the one year signing of Garcia. They're using him as a stop gap - Joey's going to be in Detroit next year, IMHO.

March 23rd, 2005, 3:18 pm
RIP Killer

Joey isn't going anywhere. Although I agree that his level of production hasn't been what was expected, he has had little help from the 'supporting' cast around him, including his head coach. The Lions would be FOOLS to let Joey go, especially since early in the season and late in the season last year he performed well. Early in the season he had a healthy Roy Williams and late in the season he had a healthy Kevin Jones. Hopefully this year he will have an improved O-line, two healthy outside playmakers in CRog and RWill and KJ in the backfield. THEN let's see how well he does or doesn't do. Should he fail to produce at that time, we have Garcia to step in and take over. This is the best situation to put Joey in to find whether he can get the job done. Healthy playmakers and a veteran backup to push him. If he doesn't respond to that, then they should get rid of him.

If the Lions cut Harrington and another team picks him up and he performs well would it have been worth it for the Fords to save $3,000,000? If that happens, how many of you will stand up and say 'Yes, I supported them getting rid of Joey and I was wrong'?

March 23rd, 2005, 3:27 pm
Site Admin

Yeah I don't think they would go after Kitna and throw a bunch of cap money down the toilet. Maybe a McNabb or Manning or Brady but not for Kitna.

But the trade is at least interesting :wink:

March 23rd, 2005, 3:37 pm
Profile WWW

If they want Edwards, give him to them before they see their mistake. Peter Warrick would be a fine addition. I'm a fan of Kitna, but we don't need him here.

March 23rd, 2005, 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

Has anyone read any posts on any other fan sites, i.e. Cleveland? Those guys were glad to get rid of Garcia and salivating over the speculation of us releasing Joey. It's the epitome of "The grass is always greener..."

Regarding the trade, I don't see what Kitna or Warrick would do to improve our O. IMO, Kitna has never shown worthiness of a starting spot and Warrick is no better (or worse) than Az. Bryant was overpaid last year (this year could be a complete turn around) and Edwards is better than a decent backup. I think, as the players go, the trade is a wash and, as for the cap hit, the trade is a bust.

March 23rd, 2005, 8:52 pm
League MVP

from profootball weekly. Joey's cap figure quoted...
March 23, 2005

It was team president Matt Millen?s call to draft Joey Harrington third overall in 2002, but Millen was finally convinced to provide a counterpart to Harrington in training camp. Millen won?t just let Jeff Garcia, signed to a one-year, $2 million contract, run straight past Harrington for the starting job, based largely on the financial investment the Lions made in Harrington. Barring a renegotiated contract, Harrington will count $10 million against the Lions? cap in 2005. The lack of progress made by Harrington has drawn criticism from head coach Steve Mariucci. Millen bought Harrington some time last season by not bringing in a strong competitor for his job. Millen preached after Harrington?s arrival that the offense needed big-play guys, and then he added them by drafting WRs Charles Rogers and Roy Williams and RB Kevin Jones. Part of the problem has been that Harrington was programmed early in his career to take the short, safe routes, removing some of the home-run potential from the offense. Team sources say Millen has pushed for the offense to expand, especially in terms of stretching the field with a vertical passing game. With no shortage of talent, the built-in excuses for Harrington?s streaky play have dissolved, and he needs a steady training camp to keep the starting job. From there, any cold streak could result in Mariucci?s guy, Garcia, getting his shot.

March 23rd, 2005, 9:11 pm

How much say does the GM have in the coaches job? Could Millen prevent Mooch from throwing in Jeff if he disagrees?

March 23rd, 2005, 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The lack of progress made by Harrington has drawn criticism from head coach Steve Mariucci.... Millen preached after Harrington?s arrival that the offense needed big-play guys, and then he added them by drafting WRs Charles Rogers and Roy Williams and RB Kevin Jones. Part of the problem has been that Harrington was programmed early in his career to take the short, safe routes, removing some of the home-run potential from the offense. Team sources say Millen has pushed for the offense to expand, especially in terms of stretching the field with a vertical passing game. With no shortage of talent, the built-in excuses for Harrington?s streaky play have dissolved, and he needs a steady training camp to keep the starting job. From there, any cold streak could result in Mariucci?s guy, Garcia, getting his shot.

Couple of things....Joey's lack of progress is as much Mariucci's fault as anyone else's. Mariucci is the one that needs to modify the offense to suit the players he has. If he can't make his offense work with a pocket passer, then his offensive system sucks. As for having playmakers, they have collectively been together on the field together for like one play in regular season. When either Roy or Kevin were healthy, Joey performed well. In the middle of the season Jones was still nursing injuries, the offensive line wasn't blocking very well, and Williams got hurt. The excuses for losses by Mariucci are done as well. Joey is only one player out of twenty two starters. Mariucci is running the whole show down on the field, and from what I've seen the past two years, he is the one to blame for the 'programming' of the short passes, not Harrington. Millen pushed to have a more vertical offense, and Harrington responded by throwing for over 300 yards in two of the last three games when QB coach Greg Olson was calling the plays rather than Mariucci.

Stop blaming Joey for the lack of offensive production. It's a team game and it's been a team effort. Poor coaching, poor blocking, poor playcalling, poor defense, poor catching, poor decisions, poor reads, poor passes. That's been the problem.....oh, and did I mention injuries to key personnel? No? Well I just did.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:24 pm
NFL Team Captain

March 23rd, 2005, 10:36 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Stop blaming Joey for the lack of offensive production. It's a team game and it's been a team effort. Poor coaching, poor blocking, poor playcalling, poor defense, poor catching, poor decisions, poor reads, poor passes. That's been the problem.....oh, and did I mention injuries to key personnel? No? Well I just did

Wow someone who actually paid attention to whats been going on instead of just piling on Joey. Way to go m2karateman. So many people just find it so convenient to blame Harrington instead of looking at the whole picture. Us Detroit fans have a single problem, the backup is better. No matter if we are talking about Lion QB's or Red Wing Goalies, its always the same. The number 2 should be number 1. Bah take a look at the bigger picture.

March 24th, 2005, 7:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next