View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Starting Lineup/FA Thoughts 
RIP Killer

Post Starting Lineup/FA Thoughts
Just time for a Pablo little rambling...

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=team&sub=depthchart

I try to keep the depth chart pretty up-to-date. Here is how I see the starting lineup (and primary backups) looking right now with only players who are signed. There is a slight variance between what is below and what I have on the projected depth chart. So far, I'm project 7 *new* starters from the end of the 2004 season (4 on offense/3 on defense) going into camp.

OFFENSE:

QB - Harrington (Garcia)
RB - Jones (Pinner/Bryson)
FB - Schlesinger (Smith)
WR1 - Williams (Hakim)
WR2 - *Rogers*
TE - *Pollard*
LT - Backus (Joyce)
LG - *DeMulling* (Hopson)
C - Raiola
RG - Woody
RT - *Butler*

DEFENSE:

RE - Hall (Edwards)
RT - Rogers
LT - Wilkinson
LE - Redding (DeVries)
WLB - Lehman (Curry/Davis)
MLB - Holmes
SLB - *Bailey* (Lewis)
SS - Kennedy (Walker)
FS - *Holt* (Marion)
CB - *Bly* (Smith)
CB - Bryant

A few thoughts after (De)Mulling this over:

1) The Lions have no depth at TE and DT. They really need to re-sign Bell at DT. FitzSimmons should be signed to add depth at TE.

2) A decision has to be made on Cash and Goodman, both RFAs.

3) There is a chance that the Lions could have no new starters to open the season out of the draft. That's crazy!

4) If Butler can indeed play at RT, there are no major holes on the team. Did I actually just type that?

5) The OL needs depth - that's the bad news. The good news is Joyce can backup LT, LG, RG and RT - while both Woody and DeMulling can play LG, RG or C. That flexibility is critical.

FA Thoughts:

Think about the Lions FA this way.

S. Rogers - would have been the #1 FA DT on the market.
D. Raiola - was the #1 FA center.
M. Pollard - was the #1 FA TE.
K. Kennedy - was the #1 FA safety.

:shock:

As for Garcia, he was the #1 fit for the Lions and among the top FA QBs on the market (Warner, Bledsoe, Johnson).

Bottom line - Millen has done a great job in FA and hasn't had to overpay for anyone. The Lions are set up to draft just about anybody they want right now, not just fill major holes like they have done in the past. Anything else from this point, including the draft, is just going to be a bonus.

GO LIONS! (and GO SPARTANS)

March 17th, 2005, 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

SS - Kennedy (Walker)
FS - *Holt* (Marion)
CB - *Bly* (Smith)
CB - Bryant

Did you mean Kennedy is new and Bly is returing? :D

This is my list of prioities
1. Have a good, draft, adding dept to oline/qb.
2. Resign Bell.
3. Rennegoiate Az's and Joey's contract.
4. Resign Eddie and Casey. I hope that progress is being made here in the RFA's. I know that they concentrate on free agents earlier, but we need these two, also, as Pablo said, Cash and Goodman aren't signed. We need them back.

I can't believe I am saying this, but Matt, if you are reading this :lol: , you are turning into a fine GM. Before he came, our team was rotten to the core. Now we have met our needs, and are more concerned with adding depth. We are miles ahead of where we used to be. The only thing holding us back from being automatic contenders is the incosistancy at the quaterback position. Even if you like Joey, you have to admit that he has let us down sometimes.

Man, Ive been all over the palce in this post. Thanks for insipring my rant Pablo :lol:

March 17th, 2005, 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

The Lions will probably wait until after the draft when that whole "second wave" of free agency begins to look at the need meter. Dan is old. We need to revamp of Dline. Put some solid peeps around Rogers(shuan). I cant see millen not grabbing a DT or DE on draft day. Either way Im thinking Wilkinson might be part of the Fat trimming process.

Az is good. He made some good plays last year, and hes going to play good for some other team this year. We should resign Swinton. He did real well last year, and is a decent back up for Drummond. I hope we get someone decent via the draft as well. Scotty Vines is supposebly a decent third of fourth guy to.

Joeys good. He is a franchise QB, without him we have to start over. I like the draft for a QB if our guy is there, if not someone in F/A will have to do.

Why did we need another RB? we had good depth there, and mooch like Tose just fine?

April 3rd, 2005, 8:16 pm
Varsity Captain

:arrow: I know I'm starting to get excited about where the Lions are going. I feel this will be Joey's break-out year. If Butler works out at OT and Holt plays FS as well as I think he can, we will be in great shape. There is a lot of potential offensively, if "Mooch" allows Tollner to open things up a bit. The draft brings up many different possibilities, it will be interesting how it all pans out.

:arrow:

April 4th, 2005, 5:28 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

At this point, I am looking for the Lions to add the following in the draft:

Third wide receiver
O-line depth, if not a starter at ROT
D-line depth, if not a starter at LDT or a replacement for K. Edwards
TE depth, if not a starter
backup safety at either spot
third quarterback

If the Lions get any additional picks through trades, then add the following:
Next years replacement for Earl Holmes
Depth at cornerback

April 6th, 2005, 3:00 pm
Stadium Announcer

Here's how I see it.

1) Lions need a TE of the future as well as a DT to go with Rogers now.

2) Cash has been resigned and "if" he stays healthy there is no need for Goodman. Having said that we still have Smith and FA to fill the need if M&M determine that it's necessary.

3) I'm not certain that the Lions Keep AZ. If not there is a good chance that a rookie, if drafted, could start at the #3 receiver. I could also see a OT, DE, or DT draftee break into the starting line-up. Depending upon where they are drafted.

4) Give Butler a chance? I don't know, but you can cya in #3.

5) As I 've said before the OL & DL are the bread and butter of your team. Go with Baas or Terry in the second if you haven't addressed the DL in the first.

I think that Millen has really come into his own as a GM the last couple of years. The situation where Millen called Morton a "fag" was the start of his transformation. Since then he's realized that what you say will hurt you. It's not like on the field.

I also look forward to Tollner calling plays. He can't be as big an idiot as Mooch. I am so sick and tired of third and four with a swing pass for two yards and a yak of one. Fourth and punt!

April 6th, 2005, 8:52 pm
RIP Killer

1) DJ - DE
2) TE - OT - FS
3) OT (if not in 2nd) - WR
4) QB
6) WR
7) DT

April 6th, 2005, 10:32 pm
RIP Killer

Go with Baas or Terry in the second if you haven't addressed the DL in the first.

Why Baas? We don't need a guard or center now with the signing of DeMulling. Adam Terry, Chris Colmer or Wesley Britt would be understandable. I actually like the idea of getting Ray Willis in round three. He is underrated and is a good ROT. Second round can be dedicated to getting either TE Alex Smith or FS Josh Bullock. A slot receiver or defensive tackle can be had in round four. Round six and seven take BPA.

April 6th, 2005, 10:41 pm
Stadium Announcer

I don't think that Dj will be available at #10. He'll be picked by the browns or vikings. They both desperately need to improve their defenses.

Yes the vikings have done that in the off season but not to the degree if DJ was their #1 pick.

Again DE & DT should be the priority forth this draft with the ol next.

Ok, the OL has some diversity, so what. You need quality people to step in and fill the void. Look at the Lions Ol. Where
does the depth come from?

How about the Lions DL? How should that be adressed?

April 6th, 2005, 10:59 pm
RIP Killer

Ok, the OL has some diversity, so what. You need quality people to step in and fill the void. Look at the Lions Ol. Where
does the depth come from?

How about the Lions DL? How should that be adressed?

The OL has depth, but could use more at the tackle spots. Baas is strickly a center/guard and we already have three on our roster (DeMulling, Woody and Hopson) along with Loverne. Loverne and Hopson are capable backups and can do the job if called upon. Another tackle/guard in the mold of Matt Joyce would be nice. Someone like a Adam Snyder, Logan Mankins or Claude Terrell would do the trick. Not only would they be improvements in our backups, but they could compete for the starting job on the right tackle spot and give Butler/Rogers a run for their money.

DL needs depth at tackle only. We have four DE's signed, but if we can get a solid speed pass rusher we should take one and release either Edwards or DeVries. Middle rounds (2-4) will be where we will pick up a DT. Same with the OL, it will come from the middle rounds.

April 7th, 2005, 7:18 am
Stadium Announcer

m2karateman, how are you? Read your comments.

The Lions do need depth on the OL. They could use a tackle or guard. The reason I mentioned Baas is his attitude. Riola was supposed to have one coming out of college. He must have left it on the beach. The OL needs a guy like Stai, who the Lions let get away to the steelers. Hopson & Loverne are marginal at best. Worst case scenerio is that you increase the quality and possibly trade for future draft picks or cut salary.

As far as Dl goes the Lions need both a DE & DT. Besides Hall they don't have an effective DE. Edwards is starting his fourth year and has showed very little promise. DeVries is average at best and should be in his prime. Redding is being considered as a DT because he has not really shown much as a DE.

We all know that a replacement for Big Daddy is needed. BD can't play as many downs this year as he did last and still have some effectiveness. Pick people this year and work them into the rotation because BD and Bell will be gone next year.

The O/D lines are where games are won. Can't have too many horses up front.

April 7th, 2005, 10:23 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Wireless Lion- Stop writing about Stai. The guy you are talking about is Jeff Hartings, Brendan Stai is not in the NFL anymore...Damien Woody is better than Hartings and Rick Demulling is close. Raiola is set for a few years. The lions have questions at Offensive Tackle.
If you actually watched the D-line action instead of sack totals, you would know that Redding has played solid at DE. he is being considered as a DT bc people like us in forums think he is big enough and the Lions have less depth at DT than at end...

April 8th, 2005, 9:34 am
RIP Killer

The Lions do need depth on the OL. They could use a tackle or guard. The reason I mentioned Baas is his attitude. Riola was supposed to have one coming out of college. He must have left it on the beach. The OL needs a guy like Stai, who the Lions let get away to the steelers. Hopson & Loverne are marginal at best. Worst case scenerio is that you increase the quality and possibly trade for future draft picks or cut salary.

As far as Dl goes the Lions need both a DE & DT. Besides Hall they don't have an effective DE. Edwards is starting his fourth year and has showed very little promise. DeVries is average at best and should be in his prime. Redding is being considered as a DT because he has not really shown much as a DE.

We all know that a replacement for Big Daddy is needed. BD can't play as many downs this year as he did last and still have some effectiveness. Pick people this year and work them into the rotation because BD and Bell will be gone next year.

The O/D lines are where games are won. Can't have too many horses up front.

Loverne and Hopson are fine as backups. Taking Baas in round two with our current personnel would be a waste of a pick and talent, since someone who is a genuine starter would be sitting on the bench. Besides, I don't expect Baas to be around when the Lions pick in round two.

Why would Bell be gone next year? I can see BD as a cap casualty, but Bell just signed a three year deal, didn't he? If Luis Castillo is there in round two, the Lions should grab him. In round three Sione Pouha is intriguing to me as a DT for our rotation.

If the Lions go OL with a pick in rounds one, two or three it should be a guard who can move to tackle, or vice versa. Claude Terrell, Logan Mankins, Adam Snyder, Marcus Johnson, Elton Brown....all players that have that versatility.

Getting another DE is acceptable, since the Lions have carried five on the roster in previous years. But we need a pass rusher, not just another body. We have our run stuffers. Redding may yet improve, after all James Hall took several years to develop before he became the beast he is today. But Edwards is a foregone conclusion as a bust in my opinion. Someone to replace him would be nice, but only if the Lions get value for the pick. No need to reach.

April 8th, 2005, 10:39 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

This brings up an interesting question of combinations, both in terms of the Lions' needs and the talent strata of the draft. Of course, drafting defense will weigh into it as well.

Here is how I see the Lions' options
#10 WR or defensive playmaker: trade down preferrably
#41 TE, OL or DE
Third Round: WR, QB, RB

Second Day:
Best available and fill in remaining needs

April 8th, 2005, 12:12 pm
Stadium Announcer

Legend you're right I was talking about Hartings.

I still believe thar the Lions need depth at both the OL & DL positions.

The DL was so effective last year because they could rotate fresh people in. They really need more depth at both DT & DE to maintain their significance as a force.

Maybe Butler and Rogers can start at RG but I still have doubts about Loverne and Hopson as long-term replacements if one or two linemen go down.

Again, I mentioned Baas because he "supposedly" has a maulers attitude. We need more of that attitude, not necessarily the player.

April 8th, 2005, 8:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next