View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 10:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What's wrong with Anes at no. 3? 
Junior Varsity

Post What's wrong with Anes at no. 3?
I'm not being a homer and I haven't seen any of his NFL experience, but looking at his last two years of college; what's wrong with him?

Year G GS Att Cmp Pct YDS Avg Lg TD Int Int% Rtg Rush Yds TD
2002 14 13 414 278 67.1 3692 8.9 67t 47 6 1.4 176.6 43 129 0
2001 11 10 288 201 69.7 3273 11.3 98t 49 3 1.0 219.3 96 586 6

Obviously, GVSU isn't exactly a Div. 1 school, but I'm not sure the level of competition is a direct indication of accuracy; almost 70% in each of his last 2 years is pretty fricking impressive. Also, you can say that accuracy is a direct indication of TD's thrown, ala Peyton.

March 26th, 2005, 8:31 pm
League MVP

Is Anes still around? I am not sure. I suspect that the answer to what may be wrong with him could be the same thing wrong with David Kircus...

March 27th, 2005, 12:01 am
RIP Killer

Wasn't he sent to NFLE for a year last year?

March 27th, 2005, 12:12 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I am also under the belief that he was sent to NFL Europe for some development.

March 27th, 2005, 8:27 am
RIP Killer

March 1, 2004
NFL Europe

Scottish Claymores quarterback Curt Anes was celebrating on his first day in training camp, because it was his birthday. Anes turned 24 on Saturday, and is looking forward to starting a good year by making an impression in training camp.

"I am looking to get back into the swing of things and proving that I can play at this level," said the former Grand Valley State standout. "I want to get my timing back and all that stuff and play the game that I love."

"NFL Europe is the stepping-stone for me to try to reach my goal. I've got the chance to play under Coach Bicknell and Coach Rutigliano, and they feel that I can play in this league."

Anes was a star in college with the Lakers, rewriting their record books, throwing for over 10,000 yards and 114 TD passes in his four years. His pass efficiency rating of 221.4 in 2001 was the top single-season rating in NCAA Division II history and the second-best rating in college football history. He finished his career with a remarkable 115-27 touchdown to interception ratio, but is typically humble when he describes his feats in college.

"I had a great team in college, and we had great success. When you have great team success, you are going to get individual accolades, and hopefully with the Claymores it will work out the same way," said the 2002 Harlon Hill Trophy winner.

Anes has spent time with the Detroit Lions, both in training camp and as a member of their practice squad.

"I played under Coach Bicknell at the Gridiron Classic in Orlando, Florida, and I played pretty well there and they got a feel for me and I got a feel for them, and here I am with them again now."

Apart from his coaches, there will be several familiar faces on the Claymores team and in the league for Anes.

"I have played with a couple of guys on our team before. Todd Wike, one of our offensive linemen and Ron Bellamy, a wide receiver. Our running back, Ian Smart, I played against him in college, and he was the runner up in the Harlon Hill trophy voting which I won. I spoke to him before we came here, and his birthday is the same day as mine so I got him a little present.

"It's definitely good to see some familiar faces that you have met along the way and I am just excited to get to play on the same teams as some of these guys."

Scotland will enter training camp as the only NFLEL team with four quarterbacks on their roster, and Anes anticipates some healthy competition between himself, Nate Hybl, Tory Woodbury and Tom Arth over the next few weeks.

"Competition brings out the best in people, I know that. It is definitely going to do that for me. I love competition, I am competitive by nature and that's the nature of this sport.

"It means fewer reps for all of us, so when you get your opportunity you have to seize it."

Anes is well aware of the reputation that NFL Europe has for developing great quarterbacks, and hopes that he can have the chance to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson and Jake Delhomme.

"It gives you a little bit of confidence coming in here knowing that those guys have paved the way for you already, and that they have had success here and that it has translated over into the NFL, which is everybody's dream.

The chips have fallen in the right place for those guys, and that's what we are all here for; we are here to play, and get some experience, and hopefully things will happen for us too."

Anes is hoping to hit the golf course, as well getting on the field in Scotland.

"I have been reading up on the golf courses like Royal Troon and St. Andrews, so I have got my clubs with me, and I am looking forward to hitting the links."

For now Curt Anes is celebrating his birthday, but if he can reproduce his college form, he should have plenty more to celebrate over the upcoming weeks and months with the Claymores.

March 27th, 2005, 9:32 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I thought he messed up his knees or something.

March 27th, 2005, 10:47 am
Profile WWW

From what I remember Curt Anes was the 2nd best QB in Europe followed by Rohan Davey...I would like to have Anes be are signal caller rather then drafting one.

Michael Huff for DROY

March 27th, 2005, 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Anes split time last year in Europe, he was not particularly impressive. I am still not sure that he is a player allocated to Europe by the Lions, I thought we cut ties with him. Too put things in perspective there was more talk about the play of Ryan van Dyke then Anes, although that ended when the Giants drefted Eli Manning and signed Kurt Warner last year.

March 27th, 2005, 3:39 pm
RIP Killer

The Lions signed him to the "Reserve/Future" list 12/29/2003 for the 04/05 year. As of this offseason, I haven't seen any news about him. Don't know whether he'll be in Europe or the practice squad this year.

I personally would have rather had Anes at #3 last year than Mirer. Mirer is a old washed up bum who should have retired a couple years ago. Rather pay Anes a little bit more since a #3 QB is never going to play.

March 28th, 2005, 9:40 am
RIP Killer

Anes doesn't have the talent to be an NFL QB IMO. I saw two of his NFLE games and wasn't that impressed. I would have been OK with him as the 3rd string last year, Mirer did nothing for me.

As for this year, you have Joey in a make or break year and Garcia signed for only the short term. The Lions need to draft a prospect with some upside to groom into the eventually starter if needed. Anes isn't that guy.

March 28th, 2005, 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

March 28th, 2005, 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
All State

McPherson

i'll second that. :nod:

March 28th, 2005, 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

No, I dont wanna waste a pick on something that we dont actually need especially in the 2nd round,but 3rd round is a possibility...

Michael Huff for DROY

March 28th, 2005, 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't see the extreme love for McPhearson at all. I think he's good, but not great.

I'll be shocked if we take a QB in Rd 3. Not that I give this much credit, but Millen and Mooch said late in the draft, when is the 3rd round considered late?

March 28th, 2005, 6:23 pm
Varsity Captain

Dan Orlovsky should be our third stringer.

March 29th, 2005, 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next