View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Do we have an outlet receiver? 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Do we have an outlet receiver?
There is a saying: a running game is a qbs best friend. Still, a TE is probably a close second in the WCO, especially as a hot read. Pollard reminds me a bit of Mikheal Ricks, although he hopefully has better hands. Similarly, though, he seems a great deep threat up the seam, but not necessarily a great route runner who can peel open during a blitz. With the threat to cut Hakim too, I wonder who can fulfill that role as a sure reliable route option reader, who also has sure hands to give joey something of a security blanket? Of late we have seen the development of those type of receivers in the high power offenses. I am not sure that for all their talent, the Lions have that important cog in their offense right now-a Brandon Stokely type guy. Surely, Bradford is not cut in that mold. And Kircus still does not have the mental side of the game down, although I do think he has the hands. I am wondering if for that reason third down conversions will still be a problem cut down on our drives and scoring opportunities?

March 27th, 2005, 2:50 pm
NFL Veteran

I guess we don't have that clear cut possesion guy. Could they be relying on the two talented receivers we already have? Or can Pollard be the guy? Possibly. I think the Lions found some success in two tight end sets last year. And a tandem of Pollard and Fitzsimmons is better than one with Alexander and Casey. Fitz in his limited playing time was clutch in several 3rd down situations.

Az Hakim can be a headache for defenses if he plays in his role as a slot receiver. He gets erased out of the game plan once he has to play outside. I look for Az to be a June 1st cut with some sort of attempt to re-sign him if no one else snags him first.

I also see us drafting another receiver. I think for our purposes... one in the mold of Az Hakim would be best. A shifty speedster who runs good routes. A small guy with explosion can come out of a break and be wide open for an instant. That's why I like Mark Clayton if he falls to the 2nd or we try to get him in a trade down scenario. Roscoe Parrish in the 3rd, and Chad Owens on day 2. It provides us with a different type of weapon from the big wideouts.

Lastly, we may be in a situation where any of the top 2 receivers may fall to us at the 10 spot. There the lions have to pull the trigger on what's best for them. Ideally trading out of the spot would be the first option. But if no deal worth it presents itself... then the Lions have to think long and hard. I think Mike Williams has more of a chance to fall here... and he'd be my choice anyway. A receiver his size with his jumping ability... all our QB's have to do is throw it at his apex, there aren't going to be many defensive players who would be able to outjump Mike for the ball.

March 27th, 2005, 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

We still have Bryson and Schlesinger out of the backfield, both pretty reliable recievers.

I think they'll have to look to the draft to fill what your looking for. Still it's not good enough though.

March 27th, 2005, 5:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Yorick, I couldn't agree with you more. IMO a really good TE is HUGE in the WCO. I also beleive that Harrington would benifit from one even more than most. When I think of really good WCO's, like the 9ers or Packers in their prime, they always had a TE that got open for seven yard gain to convert a 3rd down at the very last minute. If Harrington had that kind of safty vaulve I think it could make all the defference.

While I'm happy they picked up Pollard, I'd really like to see them address TE further. Although, like HB, I thought Fitz was pretty clutch at times last year, but obviously the coaches don't feel is a starter at this time.

If they were able to trade down, what would you guys think of taking Miller later in the first?

March 27th, 2005, 6:26 pm

'possession' receiver is a bit derogative, like the guy lacks speed so therefore is less valuable. But one of the things that started really with Hakim in St. Louis and was brought to an art form by Stokely, was that the third WR matching up against the nickel corner could put up numbers just a cut below Pro Bowl level. They were also often the guy on third down and blitzes that made the critical play. I think that position has evolved in terms of value. Of course, the chemistry between Qb and WR is the probably most critical element in success.

If Rogers and RW are both healthy it should clear a lot of room underneath. The RBs will benefit, and Bryson and Pinner are both good receivers and KJ is certainly adequate. At the WR and TE position I am not sure we have the guys with the explosion to run those quick routes. Pollard always seemed more of a deep seam guy and except for Hakim, no one is great in the open field. Kircus has the quickness, but not the savvy so far.

I went back and looked at some of Walsh's teams and the distribution of the ball and the type of patterns. The presence of the TE and FB in the passing game was much more prominent than last year,s lions squad. That concerns me, because for all our exquisite talent, we still are missing some of the blue collar glue that can put an offense over the top: a top notch blocking FB, TE, and jitterbug WR. You know if cincy's warrick shook loose, he might be a good fit for us.

March 27th, 2005, 6:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

was brought to an art form by Stokely, was that the third WR matching up against the nickel corner could put up numbers just a cut below Pro Bowl level.

Stokely had 1077 yds. for 10 tds. Not Pro Bowl. :shock: I'm just joking, and I agree with you. Having a weapon at slot can make all the difference in the world.

BTW, why is everyone so cautious about Pollard? I know he isn't great, but he is definitly an upgrade and is a good weapon.

March 27th, 2005, 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I think Pollard is an average TE who will not get half the number a Gonzalez or a Gates will. I'd think he'll give us about 12 games, 389 yards and 4 TDs at best.

March 27th, 2005, 11:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I am all for taking Miller in that range. I suspect he could even drop to the second round, but we would probably have to move up to get him.

March 27th, 2005, 11:12 pm
Towel Boy

what about herzing? he was a great slot receiver? i like that player, watched him in euro last year.

March 28th, 2005, 12:14 am
RIP Killer

Herzing signed with the Lions in January, but my guess is he'll get sent to Europe for another year of proving himself. If he makes the squad, he would at best be a 5th receiver.

March 28th, 2005, 9:33 am
Towel Boy

I think Herzing could be a number 3 or 4 receiver if given the chance. I think he is cheaper and better than corey bradford or tai streets.

March 28th, 2005, 9:04 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think we are fine,we got KJ starting at RB Shawn Bryson as a good 3rd down back who can catch the ball also Sclhesinger who can catch the ball,two good young recievers in RW and CR and a TE who will give us production for at least 2 years in MP so we now we need a slot and 4th and I think we can restructure AZ's contract and then sign Jerry Rice and then we will be set...

Michael Huff for DROY

March 28th, 2005, 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

I like the idea of signing Jerry Rice as a 3rd reciever, what better hands can you ask for? Cut Az and draft Taylor Stubblefield in the late rounds. Rice would be like having a coach on the firld, who better to teach our young recievers than Jerry Rice?

Jerry Rice's contract....doable, his hands, still great, his influance on the rest of the team.......PRICELESS!!!!

Sign him to a 1 year contract and then keep him as a wide recievers coach, he would be the most knowladgable position coach on the Lions staff

March 28th, 2005, 9:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I like that idea, I was thinking about it eariler. He doens't have the mad skills he used to, but he isn't going to drop a catchable ball. I like the mentor part a lot. Young guys like Crog and Roy could use his guidance. I don't know if he would want to pick up and move all the way to Michigan though. He has stayed on the WC his whole career, and I think he has kids.

March 28th, 2005, 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He probably would if it's the difference between retiring and playing...and he doesn't seem like he wants to hang it up now. Throw him an offer, very minimal.

March 29th, 2005, 8:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next