View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 How do you scheme the offense? 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post How do you scheme the offense?
Barring the possible drafting of an OG, probably a project, the possible signing of Bradford, and the probably drafting of a WR, the offense is basically set. The draft figures to focus on the defensive side of the ball, depending, of course, on how things play out.

What that means is that our offense is basically set. This raises the question, how would you take up Tollner's task and tweak 10% of the playbook to improve a unit that was talented but injured, has big performers but was inconsistent? What adjustments would you make and what would you focus on improving with the pieces our offense has in place?

March 29th, 2005, 8:50 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wouldn't stay so married to the west coast when we have two exceptional deep threats. I would improve on communication too. Roy and Joey had communication problems last year where Roy ran the wrong route or Joey threw it to the wrong place. I would like to see Joey bootleg more too. He isn't fast, but is smart when he runs. In the pocket, he usually moves just enough to avoid the sack, but with an oline that hasn't been together much, he should rollout more.

IMO, the offense should center on KingJones.

March 29th, 2005, 8:58 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

But seriously, I agree with Bsand. I say run more 3 WR sets and let Az do his job in the slot. Be interesting to see 'em run some out of the gun.

March 29th, 2005, 9:44 am
Site Admin

I would say the lack of production from short West Coast style passes would have me putting in more downfield plays. If you cannot complete a 6-10 yard pass what is the cost of going for bigger production plays aside from turnovers?

I would much prefer having a 30 yarder pass go incomplete than a 7 :?

I understand its a simplistic request but I think most people agree that for us to really know what Harrington is about he has to be challenged instead of always making the safe play. Thus far he has had a play not to lose mentality and that has to be brainwashed out of him.

March 29th, 2005, 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I say we need to change the system, obviously Joey cant excell in it which will make Mooch put in Garcia,Mooch says he's going to fool around with the systems and maybe let Tollner call the shots,I hope to god he lets Tollner call it because im sick of WCO but Garcia may be able to teach Joey some fundamentals about the WCO...

Michael Huff for DROY

March 29th, 2005, 11:30 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Tollner won't ever call ALL the plays. He might get a couple now and then, but he won't ever have control as long as Mooch is there.

March 29th, 2005, 11:45 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

thats not what i really ment i guess i should have re-worded it...

Michael Huff for DROY

March 29th, 2005, 11:47 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I understood what you were saying, I was just making a point that Mooch will still call the plays, despite what he says. But I agree, Mooch shouldn't be calling the shots and Tollner might as well since nobody else is more likely to.

March 29th, 2005, 11:50 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Well I like the WCO, but who doesn't like to play armchair OC. Anyway here it goes!

director.gif Rule #1: KJ needs to get 20+ touches each and every game!

director.gif Rule #2: Go deep at least five times a game.

If everyone stays healthy I'd like to see lots of sets with 3 WR's.

And now for the most important change of all....GADGET PLAYS!!occasion16.gif . Lots of them - like at least one each drive! I'm talking the double revers that Walsh ran with Jerry Rice. I'm talking the flea flicker Shula used to have Marino throw. Lets not leave out the good ol hook and latter! Or how about the play where the HB starts out on a sweep then pulls up and throws across the field to the QB!!!!! These would be the changes I would make!!! I'd get jiggy with it baby!! XXbazooka.gif...

...whow got a little worked up there drunken_smilie.gif Anyhow those are a few thoughts for you.

March 29th, 2005, 3:19 pm

I love Rule #1, but I don't think Mooch will go for it. He seems not to like to give the ball to the RB too much. I think he worries too much about them getting tired.

I like rule #2, keeps the dbacks honest, I just want Joey to get more accurate.

I disagree with the double reverses. I have seen many of them in my football watching carrere and I have seen them work only once or twice. The linebackers and Safties are too fast for this play now, it seems.

March 29th, 2005, 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I DO think Mooch will give KJ the ball 20 times per game after seeing what he can do last season...after the whole RB rotation at the beginning of the season. He's even said he wants the run game to play a significant role in the offense.

March 29th, 2005, 7:55 pm
NFL Veteran

Get Chow and put Tollner in a home.

But seriously, I agree with Bsand. I say run more 3 WR sets and let Az do his job in the slot. Be interesting to see 'em run some out of the gun.

lol. That's what I'd do. I bet Chow didn't know what he was getting into before they cleaned house.

I mean come on. Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, and Kevin Jones? A healthy complement of all three will make any OC look good.

March 29th, 2005, 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

And now what's he have in Tennessee? An awesome back up QB, an over-the-hill starting QB, Chris Brown, Antwoine Smith, Drew Bennett and Ben Troupe. Nothing else. Norm's got his work cut out for him. He should have came here where he's got some young weapons. Way to go Norm. Or should I say, way to not pursue, Millen.

March 29th, 2005, 8:08 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

We have nearly a 100% consensus. Let me see if I can summarize the sentiment:

1. Stretching the field is essential for opening up the running game and the short routes.
2. A close corralary to that is your marque players are wide receivers use them where they are most dangerous-i.e. throw deep.

Of course, last year the dispute was whether Mooch called poor plays or if Harrington gave up too early on them and dumped off. Let me suggest an unheralded theory: Harrington did not pftem have sufficient time with Raiola inconsistent, backus hurt, McDougle winded, and Loverne a pylon. With more time and Rogers healthy will last year's struggles and question marks fade into oblivion?

March 29th, 2005, 8:42 pm

Not completly, but they will not be as magnified as last year. An inconsitant oline will always be obvious, but it won't be as much of a problem.

March 29th, 2005, 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next