View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Query: Most Surprising Lions' First Round Bust? 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Query: Most Surprising Lions' First Round Bust?
Since 1990, who do you consider the most surprising first round "bust"? By "bust" I guess I mean failure to achieve anything close to anticipated potential although the degree of ignimony obviously varied. By "surprise" I mean that you really thought the guy was solid pick at the time and there were not many red flags even in hind sight.

My number one candidate would probably be Chris Claiborne. He was both powerful and had the quickness and playmaking ability to be a star. He was not obviously very fast but his speed was more than adequate and better certainly than Spielman. Obviously he did suffer some from a transition in the game to more demands placed on speed, even so, his downfall was largely in his head. He did not have the dedicated to keep his body in shape or study film necessary to become an elite linebacker. Even today you look at him and he is one of the most foreceful MLB around and still with sweet hands capable of making interceptions. He is also fearless in exploding the blocker. Still, he was never game smart or motivated enough to be the superstar he could have been.

March 30th, 2005, 7:49 pm
Heisman Winner

Bryant Westbrook I thought would be very good. Never panned out.
Since I've been watching I'd say Chuck Long still surprises me the most. Makes me think that players can be developed or wrecked by coaching at the NFL level.

March 30th, 2005, 8:18 pm
NFL Team Captain

Aaron Gibson by a long shot. Big, fat and lazy. Never panned out for anybody.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Byrant Westbrook was Pro Bowl material, injuries took him down.

March 30th, 2005, 8:27 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

For real, Andre Ware.

March 30th, 2005, 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

worst pick was trading #8 overall to New Orleans for "chilling Pat Swilling." The Lions were desiring Willie Roaf but felt he would not be available at the pick. They traded too soon to find out, the Saints took him when he was indeed still there. Swilling was miserable in Detroit but Roaf is still an excellent lineman.
Claiborne- was our best defensive player when he was here. Left bc we wouldnt give him a big contract. Still better than any MLB or potential MLB on our team now (Holmes, Lehman)
Gibson 2nd worst ever
Ware was pretty bad too but at least they didnt waste as much playing time as they have with Joey.

March 30th, 2005, 8:50 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Claiborne- was our best defensive player when he was here. Left bc we wouldnt give him a big contract. Still better than any MLB or potential MLB on our team now

I agree with that

Gibson would get my vote

March 31st, 2005, 10:48 am
RIP Killer

Gibson was the 27th pick in the draft so it didn't hurt as bad as some of the top-ten picks. I gotta go with Andre Ware, the 7th overall pick in 1990. The Lions had the makings of a great team and just needed a QB to be a Super Bowl contender. After a stellar college career, Ware was just awful.

Because of the situation at the time, the fact that he was a top-ten pick and played in such a needed/critical position - I rate it the biggest bust. I mean the guy threw for 46 TDs in college but completed just 83 career passes in the NFL. :oops:

The pick that hacked me off the most was Terry Fair. Seeing Moss still on the board at 20 when the Lions picked I was ready to jump out my shoes. The Lions take the 5'8" corner instead and with the next pick the Vikes take Moss. What the...

March 31st, 2005, 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

March 31st, 2005, 11:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I didn't think he was that bad, but definitly not worth his pick or losing out to Randy Moss.

March 31st, 2005, 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Fair made some huge plays for us but obviously w Moss as the comparison that pick looks bad...We did have Moore, Morton and Crowell though...

March 31st, 2005, 8:52 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I was trying to aim more specifically towards "surprise" rather than busts in general. I think many people were quite skeptical about Fair and Gibson. There were some doubters about Ware too. I guess what I was getting at is that Claiborne had all the talent in the world, but probably if you had dug deeper you would have found out things about his personality that would have made you wary. Maybe that is why he dropped some. I wonder if that is the reverse side of the motor no skills coin? If you have skills but no motor you will never be more than average even if you are supremely talented. Claiborne's history tells me to avoid Barron like the plague.

March 31st, 2005, 11:05 pm
League MVP

Claiborne- he was a tough player. He was never fat and out of shape during that season like Millen told the papers and told other NFL teams. MIN knew, they played vs him twice. Millen just didnt like him and didnt want to pay him. He didnt do well in MIN bc they kept putting him on the outside with DEs who only tried rushing the passer and he ran into some injuries rather than letting him play MLB. Also remember that when we drafted Claiborne he was only 20 y/o, it took him two season before he fully developed physically.

If you want a real "surprise," I would say Reggie Brown. That guy was developing into a bigtime star. He was big, fast, could hit and made huge plays. In his 2nd year, I really didnt think anything could stop him and then he had that horrendous injury. Big setback for the Lions, losing a developing young player just starting to hit his stride.

April 1st, 2005, 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]