View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 BMW Signs 
NFL Team Captain

Surprise! Surprise!
Detroit News wrote:
Fat chance? Humbled ex-Lion Mike Williams looks, sounds like new man
Ex-Lions receiver Mike Williams -- the 10th overall pick in 2005 who was out of the league three years later -- certainly looks the part of a new man at a minicamp tryout in Seattle this week.

Williams, whose weight issues and work ethic were only part of his problem the first time aroun, said he weighs 235 pounds now, adding, "and that's even heavy for me -- I've been lighter than that in recent weeks." The Seahawks actually list him at 230 pounds. Either way, it appears legit. And Williams, whose weight ballooned to 270-plus pounds earlier in his career, sounds like he's learned a thing or two in this video the Seattle Times posted today. (Asked what he weighed a year ago, he joked, "A lot.")

"In my early years, I was more focused on fighting the system and fighting coaches that I didn't think liked me or that were out to get me," Williams said, an obvious reference to clashes he had during his time here in Detroit. "Now I'm just gonna try to control what I can control, and that's obviously being in great shape and coming out here and working hard. And everything else will take care of itself."

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lion ... z0l5VIxQtQ

Watch this guy sign for the bare minimum and turn into a the WR he was supposed to be when we drafted him. It would be our luck. I mean really it would. :roll:

April 14th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Veteran General Manager

slybri19 wrote:
Surprise! Surprise!
Detroit News wrote:
Fat chance? Humbled ex-Lion Mike Williams looks, sounds like new man
Ex-Lions receiver Mike Williams -- the 10th overall pick in 2005 who was out of the league three years later -- certainly looks the part of a new man at a minicamp tryout in Seattle this week.

Williams, whose weight issues and work ethic were only part of his problem the first time aroun, said he weighs 235 pounds now, adding, "and that's even heavy for me -- I've been lighter than that in recent weeks." The Seahawks actually list him at 230 pounds. Either way, it appears legit. And Williams, whose weight ballooned to 270-plus pounds earlier in his career, sounds like he's learned a thing or two in this video the Seattle Times posted today. (Asked what he weighed a year ago, he joked, "A lot.")

"In my early years, I was more focused on fighting the system and fighting coaches that I didn't think liked me or that were out to get me," Williams said, an obvious reference to clashes he had during his time here in Detroit. "Now I'm just gonna try to control what I can control, and that's obviously being in great shape and coming out here and working hard. And everything else will take care of itself."

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lion ... z0l5VIxQtQ

Watch this guy sign for the bare minimum and turn into a the WR he was supposed to be when we drafted him. It would be our luck. I mean really it would. :roll:

Well, I hope for his sake, that he has finally grown up. I wish him good luck. We can't hold it against him that he didn't live up to the hype of his draft selection, that No GM with a perfectly functioning brain, would have made.

April 15th, 2010, 10:20 am
RIP Killer

I wish the best for him. If he really learned from his mistakes then great.

April 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Varsity Captain

For what it's worth, even Kiper admits he made a mistake.

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2008/04/kiper_mike_williams_is_one_of.html

April 16th, 2010, 8:51 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Now we just have to get that A-hole Millen to call in and apologize for everything he's done since 2001.

April 17th, 2010, 10:14 am
NFL Team Captain

Mike Williams signed with Seattle and appears to be in decent shape:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100416/S ... h-Seahawks

April 17th, 2010, 4:39 pm
RIP Killer

Now we just have to get that A-hole Millen to call in and apologize for everything he's done since 2001.

HA!!!!!

April 17th, 2010, 9:21 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

April 18th, 2010, 12:34 pm
RIP Killer

Hey dogg, have a double post!

Not anymore!

April 18th, 2010, 1:36 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Footsoldier32 wrote:

Not anymore!

Great, now I look like a big d.

8)

April 18th, 2010, 10:56 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

Not anymore!

8)

Just now? Really?

April 19th, 2010, 10:01 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Footsoldier32 wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

Not anymore!

8)

Just now? Really?

:lol:

April 20th, 2010, 12:21 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: BMW Signs
"Not a good marriage" HAHAHAHAHA

I don't understand why he had to say it wasn't a good fit... he beats around the idea that HE was the problem... but then he makes it seem like a little of the Lions fault. Now I'm not letting Millen off the hook for drafting him, but Williams was the sole problem with his fall-out.

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2010/0 ... earn-life/

May 4th, 2010, 4:26 pm
Post Re: BMW Signs
steensn wrote:

I don't understand why he had to say it wasn't a good fit... he beats around the idea that HE was the problem... but then he makes it seem like a little of the Lions fault. Now I'm not letting Millen off the hook for drafting him, but Williams was the sole problem with his fall-out.

I can't agree. People want to put all of the blame on him, but he was a 23 year old kid that had never played in the NFL before. It was up to us to teach him how to do that. He was right, we had no plan for him, and we refused to work with him. We gave him a "its my way or the highway" ultimatum, and it failed. It failed for us and it failed for him. Sure, he could have had a better attitude, but we didn't do anything to facilitate him. Millen and Co. were terrible mentors, terrible at getting the most out of their players, and terrible at getting everyone on the same page. I feel sorry for BMW for being caught in the disaster that was the Millen era Lions.

I give him kudos for coming out and saying what we've thought all along, that this team had no direction and no leadership under Matt Millen.

May 4th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Lions plans for BMW
steensn wrote:

I came to post about this and saw yours.

PFT.com wrote:
Mike Williams says Lions didn't have plan for him
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 4, 2010 5:26 PM ET

The Mike Williams reclamation project is one of the more fascinating stories of the offseason.

40 pounds lighter than his days in Tennessee, there is legitimate hope in Seattle he will make the Seahawks and possibly contribute.

Williams accepts plenty of blame for his failed run in Detroit, but also blamed the Lions for some of his problems. Williams said he was with an "organization that didn't really have a plan for me, to say it nicely."

Williams went on to thank the organization for everything they did for him, and point the finger at himself, saying his "immaturity was fighting them on what I wanted and openly showing how unhappy I was."

By all accounts, Williams is paying attention to detail now and impressing. We'll be impressed if he can keep it up, and have a solid second act ala Tony Mandarich, another draft bust.

Note to Mike Williams:

Clearly the Lions were not blameless here and Millen did have us a little crowded at the WR position but I think they had a plan. I'll even say that parts of that plan may have been flawed. However the Lions DID have a plan.

As I recall quite vividly the plan was to have you catch some of the balls thrown to you, at least the ones that hit you in the hands. I'm also sure part of the plan included you showing up for practice on time. I further recall that they didn't intend for you to eat yourself into a situation where you developed your own gravitational pull. And, as you gained weight the coaches toyed with the idea of using you as a quasi - TE. All that did was make you pout like the spoiled school girl that you truly are.

After a while our plans morphed to the point where you weren't in our plans any longer.

I will give you some credit for accepting your own shorcomings and it sounds like you've grown from it. I appreciate that you can do what Boss Baily couldn't do.

Assuming you make the final cuts; good luck with the rest of your NFL career.

May 4th, 2010, 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next