View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 BMW Signs 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: BMW Signs
Thank You LF.

It doesnt matter if Millen and the coaches plan were to have that lazy primadonna fatass be the water boy, he would have failed at it.

I had to learn on the job at 23, hell I had to be more responsible at 17 than Mike williams could at 23 after going to college and having a multi million dollar deal given to him. He has nobody to blame but himself and I don't give him an ounce of excuse just because he was on the Lions.

May 4th, 2010, 8:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Gotta give BMW credit for realizing his mistakes. Don't know if that will translate to on field production though, but I wish him luck.

May 5th, 2010, 8:44 am
RIP Killer

Look, Millen was a mess, you won't get any defense of him from me. but Williams flunked out at the Lions and several other teams. He had other option and he still went on with the attitude problem he had. I feel that even if Millen had even an iota of semblance to use this guy and do him right, he still would have flaked out here. You can fix an attitude problem, that has to be learned... which it seems he finally has. I'd love to see him turn his life around, but I'm not hopeful. Either you can catch the ball or you can't.

May 5th, 2010, 11:15 am
steensn wrote:
Look, Millen was a mess, you won't get any defense of him from me. but Williams flunked out at the Lions and several other teams. He had other option and he still went on with the attitude problem he had. I feel that even if Millen had even an iota of semblance to use this guy and do him right, he still would have flaked out here.

Maybe, maybe not, but we'll never know...

steensn wrote:
You can fix an attitude problem, that has to be learned...

But could we have taught him any faster, and could we have salvaged good/mediocre football out of him in the time being? The opportunities that he wasted after leaving here can't be matched to the opportunity that he had when he arrived here. He came into camp mildly over weight and immature, but he left fat, lazy, still immature and scorn. He put on about 30 ADDITIONAL pounds after left here, and had to overcome that additional burden at his other opportunities.

Millen mismanged him, and it went beyond his fitment with our system. We disciplined the kid wrong, we fought him tooth and nail every chance we could, and we made it an "us" vs you type of situation. It didn't help that we had other lazy azz players on our team (*cough Roy Williams *cough) that "had his back" and it didn't help that the TEAM was already mismanaged and lacked leadership when Mike got here. Those factors only added to his problems, and they were the direct result of Millen and his own lack of leadership/role on our team and in our F.O.

Could he or would he have been successful from the start somewhere else? Who knows, but the bottom line is that the disaster that we had here for him to walk into assured that he would fail here in Detroit.

May 24th, 2010, 3:35 pm
RIP Killer

I cannot disagree that he walked into a disaster... but I cannot give him any credit that he would have been ready or had success in another team.

May 24th, 2010, 7:33 pm
Varsity Captain

Post Great...
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/01/mike ... r-another/

August 2nd, 2010, 1:17 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Great...
We've been talking bout this for a bit in another thread. I'll just merge them...

August 2nd, 2010, 1:23 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Is BMW finally getting it?
Detroit Free Press wrote:
Ex-Lion Mike Williams making strides in comeback with Seattle

BY JARRETT BELL
USA TODAY

RENTON, Wash. — Is this right?

"It's actually two pounds off," a sweaty Mike Williams, just finished from the practice field, tells a visitor holding a Seattle Seahawks roster that lists the wide receiver at 6-5, 235.

He checked into camp at 233 pounds.

"That might not matter to most people," he says, "but two pounds makes a difference."

At one point in 2008, during a disastrous foray with his third NFL team, the Tennessee Titans, Williams tipped the scales at 270. Too big. Too slow. Too sloppy. That he carried the weight of a tight end or linebacker was merely the first impression of much gone wrong.

Now he's lean again, looking and performing like the receiver who came of Southern California in 2005 as a top-ten draft pick rather than a man cast for The Biggest Loser.

Williams, reunited with his college coach, Pete Carroll, is one of the most intriguing storylines in Seahawks camp with his make-or-break comeback attempt.

"I can do what my mind pictured for myself, the way I want to look and run," says Williams, 26, whose outstanding start to training camp follows his stellar work in OTA sessions. "How I picture myself, I can apply that and actually do it, as opposed to being a little heavier and not being able to cut as much."

It apparently took three teams, three failures and two years of unemployment for Williams to realize that he was blowing his considerable talent. Yet the diet – he says he's eliminated fried foods, sweets and sodas, while significantly cutting back on red meat, breads and pasta – wasn't the only drastic change he needed to make.

His lifestyle needed fixing, too. Williams, who also bombed with the Lions and Oakland Raiders, recently told The Seattle Times that he developed some "real bad habits" as his other pro football opportunities flamed out, such as hanging out in nightclubs and trying to share the NFL experience with family and friends.

This summer, though, he's been taking the bus back and forth to the team hotel, carrying himself like a humbled rookie. Seahawks offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates sees that as another sign that demonstrates how much Williams cares, this time around.

"He's treating it with respect," Bates says.

Better conditioned, Williams is also leaving impressions with his explosiveness in drills and endurance. That he doesn't get winded after running 20 or 30 reps during a given practice is another marker for progress.

"Sometimes," says Bates, "a person has to take a step back before they can take a step forward."

Williams won't argue that point.

"I'm trying to see how far I can take it," he says. "I'm as excited as hell for this year, just because of the road it's taken to get where I am."

The Seahawks signed Williams in mid-April, after Carroll offered a tryout. Only two other teams showed any interest, and then only to the wait-and-see point of telling Williams' agent that they'd call back later.

It's hardly surprising that Carroll would give one of his former players a shot. There are eight former Southern California players on the Seahawks' camp roster, including six who were added since Carroll took over in January. (Another former Trojan, running back LenDale White, was obtained in a draft-day trade, then released).

"It's more of a 'go prove it' type of thing," Williams says of his connection with Carroll. "He's not married to any of the guys who played for him. He just kind of has more of an idea about us than our position coaches. But other than that, I don't see him treating us any different, or talking to us more. He kind of ignores us. He doesn't want to show any favoritism. And he's on me about everything."

Williams, drafted 10th overall by Detroit in 2005, tallied just 44 receptions in his three NFL seasons. Carroll undoubtedly is measuring the potential by a different standard. In two years at Southern California, Williams caught 176 passes.

Bates, who coordinated the Denver Broncos offense in 2008 that revolved around Jay Cutler's frequent throws to 'X' receiver Brandon Marshall, has a best-scenario vision of Williams blossoming as the Seahawks' workhorse 'X' target.

"He knows our history," Bates says. "When he first came here, we talked about Brandon. He knows how many balls we threw to Brandon at that position."

First things first.

"Let's see what happens," Bates added. "We still have a month. But he hasn't disappointed us yet. We're pulling for him."

At the moment, that's good enough for a man trying to revive his career and claim a role amid a group of receivers that includes T.J. Houshmandzadeh, former Super Bowl MVP Deion Branch and rookie Golden Tate.

"I'm just trying to get better," Williams says. "It's still a long road. These practices, it's still early. I have to apply it to the preseason games. My main thing is to maintain, to keep rising throughout this camp and see what I can do."

August 9th, 2010, 11:42 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

As much as i dislike the fact he never panned out with the lions (think I'm the only one who liked the pick at the time) I'm glad to hear he's doing well and trying to rededicate himself to the game. Good stuff.

August 14th, 2010, 12:54 am
RIP Killer

Tis always nice to see someone get their life back on track... too bad it was at the expense of my team :(

August 14th, 2010, 4:56 pm
QB Coach

He had one big play last night against second string players. But he showed signs of quickness and looked like he was in decent shape. Too bad he couldn't figure it all out here.

August 15th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Veteran General Manager

Quote:
Seahawks | Mike Williams to start
Comment (0) Tweet! Share on Facebook
Fri, 03 Sep 2010 15:08:12 -0400

Seattle Seahawks WR Mike X. Williams will start in Week 1 likely opposite WR Deion Branch, reports Adam Schefter, of ESPN.

September 4th, 2010, 8:44 am
RIP Killer

Wow.. good for him!

September 4th, 2010, 11:34 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They are getting rid of TJ and BMW is starting in his place.

NEVER GIVE UP!

September 4th, 2010, 12:36 pm
1st Round Pick

LionsFan4Life wrote:
They are getting rid of TJ and BMW is starting in his place.

How Embrassing for TJ. No secret Carroll has been looking for a QB for a while look for him to pick up Linehardt as soon as he clears waivers. They can all be reunited.

September 5th, 2010, 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next