View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Terrell Owens Deserves a New Deal 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

bsand2053 wrote:

Is it that Stephen A. Smith?

Don't believe a word he says, Piston Hater.

I love Stephen A.

He isn't afraid to speak his mind... and he is right...

He sure called last years NBA championship well, didn't he :twisted:

I think he does speak his mind, and he has some good points, but hating on the pistons is a little personal to me.

protest.gif

April 16th, 2005, 10:19 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

:P :P :P I remember when this thread was about T.O. :P :P

April 17th, 2005, 2:05 am
Hall of Fame Player

I'm with you. What the hell happened here??

April 17th, 2005, 8:03 am
Profile WWW

lionsfanak wrote:

I'm with you. What the hell happened here??

sorry fellas :oops:

TO is the second best WR in football, but makes too much $$ as it is and should quit his complaining.

April 17th, 2005, 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

To be clear - I'm not questioning his talent, his desire to win or his work ethic. I think all of that is self evident.

I don't even care about the amount of money he makes. He has a right to make as much as someone would be willing to pay him. ANYBODY reading this who had the chance to make that kind of coin (except for maybe Pablo) would take the money. So that doesn't bother me.

What irrigates me however is that the time to argue for more money was before he signed the deal he agreed to. I'm tired of people changing their mind on an agreement just because it's no longer convenient or because there's potentially a better deal available. It's just plain and simply low class.

TO knows it too, because now that public sentiment is against him he doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

April 17th, 2005, 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

What irrigates me however is that the time to argue for more money was before he signed the deal he agreed to. I'm tired of people changing their mind on an agreement just because it's no longer convenient or because there's potentially a better deal available. It's just plain and simply low class.

Exactly!

April 17th, 2005, 2:19 pm
Varsity Captain

After the super bowl I had changed my opinion of TO from one of disgust to grudging respect. The way he performed in the super bowl showed me he wanted that game and I thought at the time that he wanted it for Philly. These latest comments just show me that all that was a smoke screen for him to keep himself in the limelight while he was hurt. Conversion spoke for everyone I believe when he said an average working man making around 80000 would need to work 40 years to get what TO made last season. I know Im just stating the obvious by saying this but I need to vent, TO should do the "honorable thing" and shut his damned trap.

April 17th, 2005, 2:58 pm

I actually wasn't hugely impressed at his Super Bowl performance. I liked that he played against doctors orders, but he really didn't have a huge impact on the game. He had a lot of yards, but not an impact.

April 17th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

For anyone who believes that TO deserves more money - read this.

In another thread re: McNabb, Alpha Male said that TO is a punk. Alpha is right - almost. TO is a low class punk. One year after collecting his 9.6 Mill signing bonus he's holding out and not practicing in camp with his team. Guys like this cause distractions that prevent the team from winning Super bowls. I'd never have a player like TO in my locker room if I were the coach.

Quote:
Team unlikely to go after bonus

While it remains one of several options in what figures to become an increasingly acrimonious contract standoff, ESPN.com has learned the Philadelphia Eagles have not yet attempted to recover any portion of the $9.6 million signing bonus that AWOL wide receiver Terrell Owens received last year as part of his seven-year contract.

But that doesn't mean Eagles officials won't, at some point, exercise a right that most teams agree is available to them under terms of the standard player contract and of the collective bargaining agreement.

Owens, not surprisingly, is absent from this weekend's mandatory mini-camp. Citing a "source with knowledge of the contract," the Philadelphia Inquirer reported on Saturday that the Eagles have a right to recoup about $1.8 million in signing bonus money and that Owens is in breach of his contract.

But assuming that Owens signed the standard player contract -- and there is no reason to believe he did not -- the potential penalty, in general terms, is not specific only to him.

According to Section 2 of the standard league player contract: "Player will report promptly for and participate fully in club's official mandatory mini-camp(s), official preseason training camp, all club meetings and practice sessions, and all preseason, regular-season and postseason football games scheduled by the club."

There is considerable precedent for franchises seeking to recover a prorated share of a player's bonus when he is absent from a mandatory activity. The CBA also permits a team to fine a player under contract $6,000 per day for absences from such activities.

But teams frequently delay taking such punitive action because it often only escalates the level of enmity between the franchise and the player. The Eagles could exhaust a number of possibilities before making a move that would only pour gasoline on the blaze Owens has ignited. It is not known if Eagles officials have levied any fines against Owens, but league sources said Saturday night Philadelphia has not initiated any action to recover signing bonus money.

In some cases where teams have sought to recover bonus money, the conflict has gone to arbitration. Perhaps the most famous case in recent years in which a team successfully recouped a prorated share of a signing bonus was when the Detroit Lions recovered a significant portion of tailback Barry Sanders' bonus when he abruptly retired in the summer of 1999.

Owens' new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, could not be reached on Saturday night. But given his tenure in the league and his past handling of contract disputes, it's a strong likelihood that Rosenhaus apprised Owens of what actions the Eagles might take if the wide receiver did not report for mini-camp. It is just as likely that, for now at least, any steps taken by the club will not alter Owens' desire for an upgraded contract.

In an interview with ESPN.com three weeks ago, Owens strongly hinted that he would not attend this weekend's mini-camp. He has played just one season of the seven-year, $48.97 million contract signed last year after Owens was the most significant component in a three-team trade but hired Rosenhaus, in part, to seek a sweeter deal.

The boycott by Owens was certainly not a surprise to Philadelphia officials.

"If he's here, he's here," coach Andy Reid told the Philadelphia-area media. "If he's not, he's not. We have an understanding that, if you're not here, we move on without you. We have been very successful doing that, so we don't waste a lot of time worrying about those things."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2050835

May 4th, 2005, 5:53 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Terrell Owens Deserves a New Deal
thedanzone wrote:
Granted he was a dumbass for signing the last deal and for having the agent he had. The agent told TO he couldn't get the 7 year deal any better and the same agent forgot to file TOs free agency paperwork at the end of the season.

The current deal pays more than 50% during the last three years of the contract. He deserves that money to be distributed more evenly over the remaining six years.

My speculation is that the Eagles current plan is to cut TO after the 2007 season basically robbing TO blind. He would lose 22.5 million and the cap hit for the Eagles would be minimal.

PAY TO!!!!

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this one.
Tell me, would Terell even think about giving back money if he had a poor year. No. Did he have to sign the contract last year. No. What exactly did TO do for that team? Get them to the SuperBowl? Not really, they were on the brink without him. He helped them get over that hump, but certainly didn't do it single handedly.

Let us remember some facts. Nobody made Owens sign the current contract. Terrell made his bed when he cry babied his way into Philadelphia while spurning Baltimore. EVERYBODY in the free world KNOWS that the Eagles don't renegotiate contracts. Also, Owens deal is structured very similarly to many of the long term free agent deals that other players sign. He's not special to anyone except himself.

So it comes down to this; Owens wanted out of San Francisco and got his wish. All the while he bad mouthed his coaches and his teammates. He showed interest in going to Baltimore, then decided he didn't want to. He bad-mouthed the Ravens for trying to force him to honor his agreement to sign with them (honor is something Owens has no conception of). He got signed by Philadelphia to a deal he and his agent brokered. He got to play in the SuperBowl, which is why he wanted to go to Philly in the first place. But after the loss, he decided to bad mouth his teammates (ie. McNabb). No single player in Philly lost that game. The Eagles lost to a better TEAM. Owens does not improve Philadelphia as a TEAM. He only gives them better talent at one position. Now, he wants a new deal after one year because he thinks he's invaluable to the team. I think he's going to find out he's expendable just like everyone else. Owens has no idea of what a team is.

How do you spell bunghole? I spell it T-O.

May 5th, 2005, 2:32 pm
RIP Killer

T.O.'s stance could prove costly

Most of us figured when the Eagles acquired Terrell Owens from San Francisco, where he had worn out his welcome, it was only a matter of time before the same happened in Philadelphia. But in one year?

I'm not sure any of us thought it could happen after what T.O accomplished on the field in '04 for the Eagles. He was everything he had been in the past and then some. His performance in the Super Bowl was one of legendary status on its own. He could have been the king of Philly for years to come. He was headed for the rarified status of Philadelphia's great all-time sports stars.

Enter an ill-advised decision to publicly demand a new, much more lucrative contract. Bad move. T.O and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, miscalculated the fact the environment for holdouts and renegotiations has changed in pro sports in the last decade. It doesn't garner the support of the fans like it once did, and the collective bargaining agreement between the players union and owners has included tougher rules and penalties to eliminate it from the game. Here is a closer look at what I mean.

Terrell Owens' demands have fallen on deaf ears in Philly.This issue has been a public relations nightmare for T.O. from the outset. Owens went public thinking that the blue-collar fans of Philly would jump on his bandwagon. Wrong. Players make so much money now (T.O.'s base is $3 million for '05 and he'll make $10 million in the first two years of his current deal) that people on the street don't want to hear about it. They can't relate to this type of demand.

He then proceeded to incite a riot by throwing his quarterback under the bus indirectly. Who's the one player on that team whom he can't get away with criticizing? It's Donovan McNabb's team, always has been, always will be. He's lucky McNabb hasn't fired back with both barrels. When it was obvious to Owens that public sentiment was against him he said, "I'm done talking about it." Too late in my book; the damage had been done.

The Eagles hold all the cards from a financial angle as well. Let's say T.O. goes through with his threats of holding out, etc. They can fine him up to $6,000 per day for missing mandatory mini-camp and training camp, if he is under contract, which he is. So he starts the season down $180,000 for missing 30 days of training camp.

Once the regular season begins, the fine is 1/17th of his salary or $176,000 per week based on a $3 million base. The Eagles will be given salary-cap relief each week for this exact amount if Owens is a no-show. I think it's safe to assume they also have language, which is commonplace now in the NFL, in the signing bonus agreement that will reflect a forfeiture of a prorated amount of his bonus for each week he misses in the regular season. That could total another $50,000-$60,000 per week in the regular season that he would have to repay the team.

This is all "real money" that Owens will be losing. Not only will he most likely not get a new deal, it could cost him several hundred thousand dollars just to make his point. That $3 million base might soon be $2.5 million after the fines and withheld salary.

Owens has the right to play any card or make any demand he'd like, but the cards are stacked against him on this one from every angle. Incidentally, Rosenhaus, with whom I have had the pleasure of doing many a deal and who is known in league circles as "a dealmaker" in a positive manner, is doing the same thing for clients Javon Walker in Green Bay and Anquan Boldin in Arizona. Both are demanding new deals.

Each situation is a bit different and neither makes the kind of money Owens does in Philly nor are they in year two of a seven-year deal (just signed last year). My prediction is Boldin will get his raise, but Walker might have to wait another year. There is some motivation for the club if it can secure a player in the last year of his current contract for future years to come. Not the case with Owens. The Eagles already have him under contract for six more years.

I've been involved in these ugly public holdouts before. In the end, nobody wins. The player won't get a new deal. The Eagles can't risk the precedent that those actions would set. He misses all the offseason and training camp work. His teammates get tired of answering the same questions over and over. The club asks itself, "do we sign another veteran at that position as insurance against the holdout?" This will cost it salary-cap dollars that it has not budgeted for.

The saving grace in all this is it's May, not August. Rosenhaus and Owens can make demands now and not risk fines or burn bridges beyond repair or alienate fans and teammates for the long haul. However, if this drags into September, they risk doing just that. Another decision as to how far to carry this is looming for Owens and his agent. The ball is clearly in their court.

by: Randy Mueller, former GM of the New Orleans Saints and Seattle Seahawks

May 5th, 2005, 3:33 pm
Hall of Fame Player

This is a great article. Thanks for sharing it!!

This entire thing with TO disgusts me and I'm certain there are players on the Eagles who feel the same way. TO may have already caused enough distraction and dissension in the locker room and he may well find he's no longer wanted there.

May 5th, 2005, 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Glad to share it. Despite what other Eagles players may say, I think TO kicked himself in the mouth by mudslinging at Donovan. Essentially what he's done is take it from 'strictly business' to 'strictly personal', and that don't fly in the locker room. His teammate may be willing to accept him back on the playing field, but I'm sure there will be members who will never consider him part of the 'team'.

I never like the guy anyways. He should learn to just shut up and play.

May 5th, 2005, 5:43 pm
RIP Killer

Despite what other Eagles players may say, I think TO kicked himself in the mouth by mudslinging at Donovan.

All I know is that I wouldn't F with McNabb...the guy is huge and sure looks like he can scrap. McNabb's got like 18 pounds on TO...and the rest of the locker room - minus "The Mouth."

May 5th, 2005, 6:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

LF57,
Glad to share it. Despite what other Eagles players may say, I think TO kicked himself in the mouth by mudslinging at Donovan. Essentially what he's done is take it from 'strictly business' to 'strictly personal', and that don't fly in the locker room. His teammate may be willing to accept him back on the playing field, but I'm sure there will be members who will never consider him part of the 'team'.

I never like the guy anyways. He should learn to just shut up and play.

I don't like him either. In fact I don't like the showboating, self promoting, selfish low class nonsense that some of the players live for. Randy Moss is another example. I really like that Paul Tagliabue has created policies, rules and fines to discourage a lot of this stuff.

Honestly, if I where a coach I would NEVER put up with this crap. Parcells doesn't and it hasn't hurt his win / loss record. I would fine TO - and sue him for his signing bonus to be returned under breach of contract; then trade him.

May 5th, 2005, 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next