View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Raiders gain first round pick from Jets 
RIP Killer

Post Raiders gain first round pick from Jets
Jets: Jolley costs the team a first-rounder
The News

The Raiders traded tight end Doug Jolley, a second-round pick, and a pair of sixth-rounders to the Jets on Wednesday night in exchange for New York's first- and seventh-round selections in Saturday's draft, according to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. The second-rounder that the Raiders shipped to the Jets is the No. 47 overall pick, which they got in Tuesday's trade with the Texans. Oakland still retains their original second-round selection, which is the 38th overall pick. Jolley caught 27 balls for 313 yards and two scores in 13 starts for the Raiders last season.
Our View
Jolley will compete with Chris Baker during training camp to be the Jets' top tight end, but we doubt they would give up a first-round pick and then let him sit on the bench. The Jets were in a position to draft Virgina tight end Heath Miller, the top tight end in this year's class, with their No. 26 pick on Saturday, but clearly felt that he either wasn't as good as Jolley or would be off the board when their pick came up.

Miller not as good as Doug Jolley? Maybe not immediately, but the guy wil be much better next year than Jolley will IMO. Does anyone get the feeling that Oakland is trying to compete with Washington for the "Stupid GM" Award? They gave up their starting TE, 2nd, and 2 6th rounders for first and 7th round picks. Wouldn't be so bad if Oakland still had #7.

April 21st, 2005, 8:30 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

That trade fell on me like a ton of bricks.

April 21st, 2005, 8:43 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

this trade could have an impact on the Lions in a big way. I had felt that the Jets would use their pick on Heath Miller. Given that they now no longer have that pick, what happens to Miller? In the first round it is unlikely Miller will go any higher than the 26th pick due to his sports hernia injury and his not being able to perform a full work out. If he slides into the second round, the only teams ahead of the Lions that may be interested in taking him would be Chicago, I think. Tampa Bay and New Orleans both pick ahead of us in round two, but both teams have scads of tight ends on their roster already through free agent signings.

If the Lions have Heath Miller slide to them in round two, do they take him?

April 21st, 2005, 8:56 am
RIP Killer

The Steelers could also take him as well. I'm sure he won't last until #41, I would be thrilled if he did though. It makes it all the more likely that he'll fall. Plus, now Alex Smith might seem like a reach at #41. Granted, he's no Winslow, but the guy has great hands.

April 21st, 2005, 9:02 am
RIP Killer

The Steelers could also take him as well. I'm sure he won't last until #41, I would be thrilled if he did though. It makes it all the more likely that he'll fall. Plus, now Alex Smith might seem like a reach at #41. Granted, he's no Winslow, but the guy has great hands.

I thought about the possibility of the Steelers taking Miller, and decided that they probably won't due to having other more prudent needs that can be filled with that pick. Besides, Millers injury could have more of an impact on his falling draft status than we may know. Remember how far Jason Witten fell a couple years ago? I kept hoping the Lions would take him in each round, and now the Cowboys have him and he just tore the rectum out of the Lions defense last year. I agree that Smith would be a reach at #41, and Miller falling into round two would cause Smith's value to decline as a result. Maybe the Lions can trade down in round two and get some picks to replenish the fifth and seventh rounds they lost.

April 21st, 2005, 9:27 am
RIP Killer

Trading down in the 2nd would be nice...we need depth that we can develop (OT, SS, DT, QB, WR). TE and DE are big needs that we need to have the player able to step in and make an impact during their rookie seasons.

April 21st, 2005, 9:36 am
Hall of Fame Player

If miller slides to us in round 2... I say yes, take him!

Assuming we go Defense in round 1, I figured we'd go TE (or maybe QB) in round 2 anyway. I thought Alex Smith (TE) would be a lock but if Miller's there you have to take him.

Having said all that - I don't believe he'll be there by the time we pick at # 41.

April 21st, 2005, 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

This does set up the fan's dream scenario: DJ and trade up to get Miller. Unfortunately, I just have this feeling that the Lions are not so high on DJ and that Miller will be gone before the late first.

April 22nd, 2005, 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]