View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 1:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Zorn (Shanahan New Coach) 
League MVP

Post Zorn (Shanahan New Coach)
Redskins coach Zorn stripped of playcalling by front office:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4575422

is he really even the head coach anymore?

whats next, cant decide who to play or bench?

im pretty sure they should just fire this guy and move on, he has almost zero chance of turning it around if he doesnt have any authority

October 18th, 2009, 11:41 pm
QB Coach

I was at that game today it was pretty terrible. I'm surprised they didn't fire him at half time. He's done in DC.

October 19th, 2009, 1:57 am
RIP Killer

Daniel Snyder is to that team what WCF is to the Lions.....a pox, a cancer, a flesh eating virus.

Snyder is a moron who has ruined that franchise. It isn't Zorn, it isn't anyone else but him. He continues to waste money on high priced free agents and basically traded away too many of their picks to get costly vets in the past.

I feel for Jim Zorn. He may not be the best coach in the NFL, but I don't think he's nearly as poor a coach as how the team is performing. I applaud him for his efforts, but he's behind the eight ball with Snyder as the owner.

October 19th, 2009, 8:27 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Sherm Lewis is the new Redskins play caller
Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2009 7:09 AM ET
The wake of the Washington Redskins' embarrassing home loss to the previously 0-5 Chiefs became even more bizarre than anyone could have imagined.

Conventional wisdom was that, if the 'Skins got scalped by the Chiefs, coach Jim Zorn would load his personal effects into a box and make the slow, final walk to the parking lot.

But instead Zorn has agreed to a second public emasculation this month, giving up one of his main functions -- calling the plays on offense -- in order to keep his job.

With that news came the bizarre word that Zorn and executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato would be putting their heads together to decide on the new play-caller on Monday morning.

The development created a sense of drama where there should have been none. I mean, who was it going to be? Coach Janky Spanky?

Sherm Lewis was the obvious selection, primarily because there was no other alternative.

We're told that it is Lewis, and Rick Maese has reported the same thing.

And so a guy who made his name in Green Bay as an offensive coordinator who deferred the play-calling function to Mike Holmgren will now be charged with the task of saving the asses of Zorn and, as we're hearing it, Cerrato, too.

Good luck with all that.

The only remaining question is whether the new arrangement gets one week or longer to save Zorn's job.

And, given the current disarray, whether the Redskins will be able to win any more games this year.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Sherm Lewis was named the "interim" HC within the next week or two. I had a feeling that was going to happen when they recently hired him. And I agree with M2K that this is all Dan Snyder's fault.

October 19th, 2009, 9:06 am
Heisman Winner

Snyder is going to run that team straight to the ground, and as Lions fans, we must rejoice that. Misery loves company and things of nature.

October 19th, 2009, 9:45 am
1st Round Pick

PFT wrote:
Sherm Lewis is the new Redskins play caller
Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2009 7:09 AM ET
The wake of the Washington Redskins' embarrassing home loss to the previously 0-5 Chiefs became even more bizarre than anyone could have imagined.

Conventional wisdom was that, if the 'Skins got scalped by the Chiefs, coach Jim Zorn would load his personal effects into a box and make the slow, final walk to the parking lot.

But instead Zorn has agreed to a second public emasculation this month, giving up one of his main functions -- calling the plays on offense -- in order to keep his job.

With that news came the bizarre word that Zorn and executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato would be putting their heads together to decide on the new play-caller on Monday morning.

The development created a sense of drama where there should have been none. I mean, who was it going to be? Coach Janky Spanky?

Sherm Lewis was the obvious selection, primarily because there was no other alternative.

We're told that it is Lewis, and Rick Maese has reported the same thing.

And so a guy who made his name in Green Bay as an offensive coordinator who deferred the play-calling function to Mike Holmgren will now be charged with the task of saving the asses of Zorn and, as we're hearing it, Cerrato, too.

Good luck with all that.

The only remaining question is whether the new arrangement gets one week or longer to save Zorn's job.

And, given the current disarray, whether the Redskins will be able to win any more games this year.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Sherm Lewis was named the "interim" HC within the next week or two. I had a feeling that was going to happen when they recently hired him. And I agree with M2K that this is all Dan Snyder's fault.

You know things are bad when a Former Lion coordinator is hailed as an improvement over A head coach who used to be a Lions QB coach. Dose Snyder have millen on speed dial there. Zorn was doomed at the start. Snyder as i remember hireed Zorn to be the offensive coordinator and then Hired himself a defensive coordinator with out getting a head coach. Could'nt get anybody he wanted so just turned the team over to Zorn.

October 19th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Cerrato: Zorn will coach rest of the season
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 23, 2009 9:16 AM ET
The Redskins players asked for an endorsement of their coach Jim Zorn last week.

After another loss, Zorn's playcalling duties being stripped, more reports that Mike Shanahan was approached about Zorn's job, and a near resignation, the players have what they wanted.

Speaking on his radio show, executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said that Zorn would be staying for the rest of the season.

"Let me start by making a few things very perfectly clear," Cerrato said. "Jim Zorn is the head coach of the Washington Redskins and will for the rest of this season, and hopefully into the future."

Wow?

Cerrato's statements supports the notion written about by Mr. Florio last week that Zorn and Cerrato's fates are tied together. Cerrato also disputed the notion of internal turmoil within the organization.

"The relationships internally within the organization quite frankly remain the same," Cerrato said. (Well, except that Zorn is no longer calling plays for the offense that he installed.)

The news is rather surprising and may quiet the daily speculation surrounding Zorn's job security, but it probably won't end it. Cerrato's statement reminds us the quotes from teams that completely denied any interest in Michael Vick over the summer.

If Zorn and possibly Cerrato are fired during the season, the story won't be what Cerrato said on October 23.

Somehow, I just don't see this happening.

October 23rd, 2009, 10:14 am
RIP Killer

Washington getting Shanahan would be the best thing that ever happened to them.

October 23rd, 2009, 10:18 am
QB Coach

Everyone around here hates Snyder and I fully believe it's his fault that the team has been run into the ground. The Skins need the right coach and GM to override Snyder's penchant for spending big bucks on free agents and giving away draft picks. The team is a mess. They need 3-5 starters on the o-line, youth at RB and likely a new QB after the season is over. Also, getting almost zero production from 3 second round picks from last year hasn't helped.

October 23rd, 2009, 3:01 pm

I heard (from PFT I think) that Shanahan was offered the job, but turned it down. He said something about not being able to do much in the middle of the season. Now, I don't know if he would take the job after the season is over, but I think he may be a little leery about working for Snyder. Then again, wouldn't anybody? That guy ranks right up there with Al Davis when it comes to making poor decisions.

October 24th, 2009, 10:52 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think Washington has about as big of a chance of getting a good coach as the Raiders.

October 25th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Well, I have lost any respect I had for Sherm Lewis. He is wants to be an NFL head Coach so bad that he was willing to usurp Zorn's job. Just play calling right now. But, you watch as the season goes on if Sherm usurps more and more.

October 27th, 2009, 12:33 am
Div 1 - Starter

So adding to the debacle that is the Redskins is the fact that they are now tossing fans who have signs displaying negativity towards the franchise or owner. Also, just reported that signs of any sort will no longer be allowed at the games.

Way to go Snyder...a little bit longer and you won't have a fan base for your team. This douche actually bumped WCF a rung further up from the bottom as far as NFL owners go.

October 27th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

So adding to the debacle that is the Redskins is the fact that they are now tossing fans who have signs displaying negativity towards the franchise or owner. Also, just reported that signs of any sort will no longer be allowed at the games.

Way to go Snyder...a little bit longer and you won't have a fan base for your team. This douche actually bumped WCF a rung further up from the bottom as far as NFL owners go.

So that makes us 30th after AL Davis (The Corpse) and Dan Snyder (Retard). Your could argue Jerry Jones also.

October 27th, 2009, 8:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

if WCF had ever hired Parcells in his numerous opporunities to do so he couldve instantly catapulted into the top 5 nfl owners. he s willing to spend on players, he allows quite a bit of autonomy to his GM/coaches, he provides top notch facilities and provides stability (ie team unlikely to be sold, will always stay in family)

October 28th, 2009, 1:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next