View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 1:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 St. Louis is on the clock. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post St. Louis is on the clock.
Quote:
The St. Louis Rams are on the clock for the 2010 draft

By MJD

Keith Null(notes), St. Louis Rams quarterback and Ryan Leaf protégé, went 7-of-17 for 57 yards today, leading the Rams to a highly successful 28-6 loss at the hands of the very mediocre 49ers. The glorious drubbing clinched the first overall draft pick for the Rams, and might be the best thing to happen to the franchise in years.

It's good for draft fans, too, as the Rams being at the top mixes some suspense into the draft. The consensus best player available will be Ndamukong Suh, the beastly defensive tackle out of Nebraska. The Rams, however, are also in dire need of a quarterback, and if this season has proved anything, it's that good quarterbacks make good teams.

Had the Lions ended up with the pick, you could've gone ahead and started ordering your Honolulu blue "Suh" jerseys this evening. They believe they already have their franchise quarterback in Matthew Stafford(notes). They end up with the second pick, which probably works out better for them. If the Rams go quarterback, they could get the best player in the draft at number two, and save a few bucks in the process. Fortunately, Matt Millen's no longer around, so they probably won't draft Golden Tate.

If the Rams do decide to go quarterback, that still leaves some suspense in the air. The NFL's minor league feeder system (often referred to as "college football") hasn't produced a clear-cut top player there, either. Sam Bradford of Oklahoma is a popular choice, and some believe in the pro potential of Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame. Jake Locker of Washington's gotten some attention, Colt McCoy of Texas is a possibility, and there will always be those arguing for Tim Tebow out of Florida.

Who knows? Maybe there will be a clearer answer when they're done playing this odd series of season-ending games named after agricultural products and random business entities.

Other players believed to be headed for the top five include safety Eric Berry of Tennessee, defensive tackle Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma and offensive tackle Russell Okung of Oklahoma State.

The rest of the top five in order: the Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Cleveland Browns.

January 3rd, 2010, 10:12 pm
RIP Killer

It will be interesting to see which way SL goes. If they take a QB, the Lions get Suh. If the Rams take Suh, the Lions might have a better chance to trade their pick to anybody looking for the top QB (which still needs to shake out).

January 4th, 2010, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Towel Boy

I think St Louis is in a familiar situation as we were last year. If you dont have a franchise, you have to take one. The question I have is any worth number 1?

January 12th, 2010, 1:04 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think St Louis is in a familiar situation as we were last year. If you dont have a franchise, you have to take one. The question I have is any worth number 1?

We'll know if any QB is worth #1 after the combine. Speaking of QBs I like the fact that Tebow is playing in the Sr. bowl. He's my darkhorse in this coming draft.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 12th, 2010, 9:17 am
Stadium Announcer

Was Stafford worth the number one? I remember clear arguments that he was not. But only a QB is worth the number one pick. Rams will take their franchise QB or do what we could not, trade the pick

January 12th, 2010, 10:23 am
RIP Killer

nic_diggler80 wrote:

Was Stafford worth the number one? I remember clear arguments that he was not. But only a QB is worth the number one pick. Rams will take their franchise QB or do what we could not, trade the pick

There's no guarantee that either one will happen.

Last season many of us felt Stafford was not worth the number one pick because of his inconsistencies. He still displayed that in his rookie NFL season, but he also showed an ability to lead. He showed toughness many of us didn't know he possessed.

I don't know if Bradford or Clausen is worth the number one pick. In the end, it doesn't matter what we think, only what the Rams front office thinks. They won't trade that pick.....it's plutonium. Everybody would like to have the player, but nobody wants the after effects of the contract.

The thing is, a QB picked number one demands premium dollars over and above what another position taken at that spot would demand. Curry said he would have settled for $32M guaranteed. The Lions ended up paying $10M more than that, with the total amount of the contract being $18M more than what the Curry deal was.

Depending on their finances, the situation at QB, and the value of the players available, the Rams will pick a player. Who is anyone's guess right now.

January 12th, 2010, 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]