View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 DRoy 
QB Coach

Post DRoy
Quote:
Cushing wins defensive rookie award in landslide
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 5, 2010 11:03 AM ET
Texans rookie linebacker Brian Cushing wasn't always the most well regarded linebacker on the USC Trojans. Now he's been recognized as the best rookie defender in the entire league.

Cushing received 39 of a possible 50 votes to win the AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Tuesday. Bills safety Jairus Byrd finished second with six votes, while Cushing's college teammate Clay Matthews finished third with three votes. Redskins pass rush Brian Orakpo got two votes.

We're surprised at the margin of victory, but can't argue with the result. Cushing racked up 133 tackles, five sacks, four interceptions and forced two fumbles. He's a bigger difference maker than teammate DeMeco Ryans, who also won the award.

There were games, like the win in Cincinnati, that Cushing simply took over. That's hard to find. It was the ninth time in ten years a linebacker won the award. (Us silly writers like stats!)

We also have to throw some love in the direction of Matthews, who deserved serious consideration. Bruce's son started the final 13 games of the season, compiling 10 sacks, 51 tackles, and 7 passes defensed.

He will be a versatile core player and probably a Pro Bowl candidate for years to come.

Congrats go out to all four men who earned votes. It was a strong year for rookie defenders.

Kinda surprised Delmas didn't even one vote. I know we're a losing team but so are the Bills and Redskins.

January 5th, 2010, 12:26 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I thought Cushing would win and it was well deserved. As for Delmas, anybody that was going to vote for a safety instead of a linebacker would have picked Byrd because of all of his interceptions. With that said, it's disappointing that he didn't get atleast one vote.

January 5th, 2010, 1:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am glad he didnt. Because I think he deserved at least a few.

Hopefully it pisses him off, and he kicks even More rectum next year.

January 5th, 2010, 5:24 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]