View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Mornhinweg In Clev? Martz In Chicago? 
1st Round Pick

Post Mornhinweg In Clev? Martz In Chicago?
Ex-Lions coach Marty Mornhinweg: Could he be 'the next great coach'?
BY STEVE SCHRADER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Having the entry "Lions" on your resume apparently isn't the kiss of death it used to be, at least as far as the media is concerned.

Like in Cleveland, where new Browns boss Mike Holmgren might decide this week whether to end Eric Mangini's tenure as coach.
And who would replace him? Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer throws out the name of Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who was Matt Millen's first hire.

But Cabot says "Mornhinweg has apparently overcome the stigma of his two-year stint as head coach for the Lions. ... ESPN The Magazine recently declared Mornhinweg the NFL's 'next great coach.' "
That's not all. In Chicago, where the Bears fired offensive coordinator Ron Turner, the name of Mike Martz keeps surfacing.
And Martz says he'd love to work with quarterback Jay Cutler and coach Lovie Smith, who was his defensive coordinator in St. Louis.
Even if it means being on the same staff with Rod Marinelli, who fired Martz as the Lions' OC?
"I can't speak for Rod, but it was very complicated," he told the Chicago Tribune. "He's a very classy guy. It was just time for me to go."

January 7th, 2010, 12:48 pm
RIP Killer

Come on... don't Peter principle the guy again! Maybe he learned a lot since then?

January 7th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]