View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pete Carroll New Head Coach (Jim Mora fired in Seattle) 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Pete Carroll New Head Coach (Jim Mora fired in Seattle)
I'm surprised--thought he would get more than one year. And they are still looking for a GM, so I at least thought the new GM would be responsible for making the change.

January 8th, 2010, 2:36 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Seahawks fire Jim Mora
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 8, 2010 1:29 PM ET
And then there were two coaching vacancies.

The Seattle Seahawks have fired head coach Jim Mora, Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com is reporting.

Mora's Seahawks went 5-11 in 2009, his only year as head coach. He previously went 27-23, including 1-1 in the playoffs, in three seasons as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

According to Glazer, Seattle has already called other teams to ask for permission to interview assistant coaches. Glazer names Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier as an early candidate.

The Seahawks now join the Buffalo Bills as the only NFL teams without a head coach.

Wow. I'm of the belief that you have to give a coach more than one year, so this surprises me.

January 8th, 2010, 2:51 pm
RIP Killer

I didn't see that coming at all... wow... I'm stunned. Maybe they had their eye on someone?

January 8th, 2010, 3:05 pm
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/n ... id=4808557

January 8th, 2010, 5:54 pm
QB Coach

I thought that Mora might get the boot but I was still surprised when I saw that he did. Even more surprised that Carrol's name came up. Seattle needs a new GM first.

January 8th, 2010, 8:14 pm
RIP Killer

Per sources it's a done dal, Carroll is Seattle's new coach. Big mistake in my book...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

January 9th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Two things here. First, did Leslie Frazier ever interview for the job? There are conflicting reports as to whether he did or didn't. If not, the Seahawks might be in violation of the Rooney Rule and I doubt another minority candidate will interview after it's been reported that Carroll already has the job. Then again, Paul Allen is the richest owner in the NFL, so he might not care about the fine. Taking away draft picks might change his mind though.

As for Carroll, does anyone else think he's getting out of USC before the hammer comes down on the program? They're being investigated by the NCAA because of improper benefits to Joe McKnight, and I think they'll find a hell of a lot more than that if they dig deep enough.

January 9th, 2010, 12:50 pm
RIP Killer

The article mentions that he hadn't interviewed yet. At this point, it sounds like any minority coach getting "a shot" would just be a pawn.

Good point on Carrol getting out. They investigate EVERY year and I would expect that at some point he knows things won't stay hidden forever. If he's splitting, it's a good time. Anyone would take the guy back after he flames out in Seattle like his last stint in the NFL. I just don' think he's changed from the fun loving college coach to a 120 hour a week NFL coach.

January 9th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Steensn, that very article contradicts itself about Frazier:
ESPN wrote:
Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier could agree to interview, but he is unwilling to do so if Carroll has been promised full control of the Seahawks -- and multiple sources say he has.

Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke told Frazier that Carroll definitely does not have Seattle's job.

Believing Leiweke, Frazier will interview for the Seahawks head coach job Saturday morning.

So, which is it? I'm confused.

January 9th, 2010, 1:04 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

No one has interviewed yet, but they're trying to get Frazier and Rivera to interview. The Roony Rule is a sham anyway, just look at the situation that happened in Washington.

As to Carroll, he didn't exactly flame out. His 1 year with the Jets they played hard but lacked talent. The team lost all confidence after the Marino "kill the clock" TD and never won again that year. The Jets were one of the worst teams in the league from the 70's thru the 90's. The front office had little to no patience after the previous few years, so they never gave Carroll a chance. His 6-4 start was the best record the Jets had that decade prior to Parcells getting there in 97.

When he got to New England, he replaced Parcells, so he wasn't going to live up to expectations, even though he made the AFC championship game and the wildcard his first 2 seasons, his 3rd season was a miss. He wanted control over personnel and that wasn't happening, so they ended the contract and he went back to college.

He had a 33-31 record, and while not great, it wasn't the worst Head Coaching Job either. Definitely not a "flame out". It'll be interesting to see how things in Seattle go with him having final say over personnel. He's a defensive coach, so maybe Curry will start to shine the next few years. But it might be interesting to see how other things play out. Bush might be on the outs in NO. Leinart hasn't wowed anyone in Arizona. And Carroll might be the one coach that knows how to get the most out of them. And in that weak division, Seattle might be back on top before long.

January 9th, 2010, 3:10 pm
QB Coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... l-fallout/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-usc-job/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... terviewed/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... our-hours/

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Fischer leaves TN to go to USC. And for a sham interview with Frazier, going over 4 hours is a bit much.

January 9th, 2010, 6:54 pm
1st Round Pick

Look now for the Seahwks to Sign Reggie Bush as a Free agent and possibly trade for QB Matt Leinart. I think Lendale White will be a Free agent too they might go after.

January 9th, 2010, 7:33 pm
QB Coach

Look now for the Seahwks to Sign Reggie Bush as a Free agent and possibly trade for QB Matt Leinart. I think Lendale White will be a Free agent too they might go after.

I don't know why people assume that Carroll would automatically go after USC guys? Just because a player was good in college doesn't mean anything. He'd be a fool to just go get guys because he coached them.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 9th, 2010, 11:34 pm
Heisman Winner

Anybody see the irony in Pete (fired after just one year with the jets) taking over after Mora?

January 10th, 2010, 12:23 am
RIP Killer

Steensn, that very article contradicts itself about Frazier:
ESPN wrote:
Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier could agree to interview, but he is unwilling to do so if Carroll has been promised full control of the Seahawks -- and multiple sources say he has.

Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke told Frazier that Carroll definitely does not have Seattle's job.

Believing Leiweke, Frazier will interview for the Seahawks head coach job Saturday morning.

So, which is it? I'm confused.

They're saying they'd only do it to fulfill the "rule" though the decision has been made already.

January 10th, 2010, 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next