View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Pete Carroll New Head Coach (Jim Mora fired in Seattle) 
RIP Killer

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_14153596

Quote:
USC zeroed in on Oregon State coach Mike Riley as its next football coach Friday as Trojans coach Pete Carroll agreed to a five-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks, according to sources.

Carroll didn't formally tell USC he resigned, but sources said athletic director Mike Garrett was informed Carroll expected to take the Seahawks job at a yearly salary of between $6.5 million and $7 million per season.

Carroll couldn't sign a contract with the Seahawks, however, because they are scheduled to interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier today in Seattle. Under the NFL's Rooney Rule, teams must interview at least one minority candidate before hiring a coach.

ESPN reported Frazier, who is African-American, turned down the Seahawks' request. However, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune said he would interview after all.

January 10th, 2010, 11:21 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

It's high times to get out of USC for Carroll as far as I'm concerned. He's not only looking at the Joe McKnight thing, but he had a, by their standards, a crappy year.

Going to Seattle is primo. Warner in AZ is considering retirement, and the next best team in that division is SF, who still doesn't really have an identity. Plus Seattle has two first rounders this year 6 and 14. Carroll wanted personnel control in his last gig in the NFL and he didn't get it. He has a job now that looks like he's going to have total control over personnel, since Seattle hasn't even hired a GM yet. It's a perfect opportunity to get everything he wants and to avoid the NCAA investigations.

I'm happy to see him change jobs. I've never liked him at USC and I think he'll struggle, at least at first.

January 10th, 2010, 3:18 pm
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4814933

Reports he submitted his resignation.

January 11th, 2010, 10:07 am
RIP Killer

Looks like they did interview a token black guy.

Quote:
√\The news that Pete Carroll was desired as the next head coach of the Seahawks surfaced as far back as last Thursday and was reported that Friday. But to comply with an NFL rule known as "The Rooney Rule", the Seahawks would have to interview with at least one minority candidate.

After saying no to being the minority candidate because he believe the Seahawks wanted Pete Carroll anyway, Minnesota Vikings Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier said "yes" at the behest of the Fritz Pollard Alliance (FPA), which looks at NFL Rooney Rule compliance performance. The FPA was under the impression that because Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke reportedly said to the FPA they would not give general manager duties to Carroll, that meant Carroll was not "the guy" preferred by the Seahawks.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abr ... z0cJSbQMOO

January 11th, 2010, 10:10 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

PFT wrote:
Bates will pass on Bears gig and join Carroll
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2010 12:28 AM ET
With everyone on the hot seat in Chicago and a new regime landing in Seattle, former USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates has opted to join Pete Carroll with the Seahawks, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

The Bears wanted to hire Bates, which would have reunited him with quarterback Jay Cutler. Bates served as Cutler's position coach in Denver.

So now maybe the Seahawks can trade for Cutler.

We're only partially kidding. With Matt Hasselbeck's career winding down, the Seahawks will need a quarterback.

We know you're thinking that Matt Leinart is the answer. Based on his performance in 2009 and his $10.5 million salary in 2010 and the absence of any cap consequences from trading him in an uncapped year, the Bengals might be willing to think about shipping Carson Palmer back to the West Coast.

January 11th, 2010, 10:46 am
RIP Killer

January 11th, 2010, 11:08 am
RIP Killer

Finally "official." Both sides have confirmed Carrol as the new headcoach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4816494

January 11th, 2010, 4:18 pm
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=4816051

Quote:
Give Pete Carroll about one year before he starts realizing the mistake he just made. By that time, he'll be wondering why he resigned from USC to become head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

That fat deal he recently accepted -- one reportedly worth $35 million over five years -- won't be nearly as capable of insulating his pride from all the abuse he'll be taking publicly. The players also won't be embracing him like they have in college. Before you know it, that constant smile that has become Carroll's trademark will be harder and harder to find.

Regardless of how optimistic some Carroll supporters may be about this news, the man is going to fail in the NFL. He's already been fired by the New York Jets (whom he coached in 1994) and the New England Patriots (he was there from 1997 to '99), which is all you really need to know.

A nine-year absence from pro football doesn't mean Carroll has learned how to be a better head coach at that level. It means only that he's become one more man who thought it was better to give up a cushy gig for a shot at the big time. Pete Carroll's demeanor and coaching style make him a much better fit for the college ranks.

Although Carroll deserves credit for securing a nice paycheck in this move, there's little else about the decision that makes sense. It's as if Carroll dismissed all the recent struggles of other head coaches who jumped from college to the NFL. Nick Saban couldn't last more than two years with the Miami Dolphins before fleeing to Alabama. Bobby Petrino didn't even finish a full year in Atlanta before racing off to Arkansas. Steve Spurrier was miserable with the Washington Redskins until he decided it was best to disappear and then land at South Carolina.

Carroll might think he's got something more to offer than those men -- or others like Butch Davis, Mike Riley and Dennis Erickson. In fact, he's exactly like his peers. He's let his ego swell to the point that he can't see his limitations anymore. Being a mediocre head coach in the league (he was 34-33 in four seasons, including postseason play) only made him hunger for the best possible chance to return someday.

What those other coaches eventually learned is that there is a substantial difference between leading grown men and leading boys who are becoming men. Like Carroll, most of those coaches came from places where they had dictatorial power and a gift for nabbing hordes of talented players who could elevate their programs. The NFL is different. It's easy to suffer through lousy personnel moves that haunt your franchise for years and even easier to end up with players who don't respect you.

Carroll should know this last fact better than anybody. He never became a top head coach because the perception was that he was too soft. As much as his hypercaffeinated, rah-rah nature excited college kids who gravitated to his affable personality, it had an opposite effect in the league. The players didn't merely see a players' coach. They saw a pushover, which is the last thing an NFL head coach can afford to be.

This is why Carroll's latest gig puts him in a tricky situation. If he comes at pro players with the same easygoing approach that defined his college tenure, they're going to push the boundaries with him. If he tries to harden his personality to be tougher with them, that would be a bigger mistake. If there's one thing that players can sniff out more than a coach they can manipulate, it's one who's a fraud.

About the only thing Carroll has going for him is time. Given how much money Seahawks owner Paul Allen is going to pay him, Carroll will have ample opportunity to make his mark. That may be an ironic thing to say about a team that just fired head coach Jim Mora after one season, but the Seahawks clearly believe in Carroll's potential. They've bought into the hype that a big name with extensive college success can create those same results on a more demanding stage.

But the more this story plays out, the more it seems that Carroll is likely running away from something instead of to something. NCAA investigators have been sniffing around his program, with former Trojans star Reggie Bush and
Quote:
current
running back Joe McKnight being targets of such probes. If there was enough smoke hovering around USC, Carroll could've felt it was time to flee before the fire emerged. He wouldn't be the first coach in history to operate with that kind of foresight.

Now that he's back in the NFL, Carroll will eventually discover that plenty has changed since he left more than a decade ago. The players have gotten bigger, faster, stronger and, yes, smarter. They're probably better at recognizing a coach who isn't ready to deal with all the challenges that come with leading grown men who make tons of money. And what Carroll hasn't realized yet is that he's still the type of guy who falls into that category.

January 11th, 2010, 8:14 pm
Modmin Dude

Hmm, if he does fail in the NFL will he go back to NCAA? And if so where?

January 11th, 2010, 8:29 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

He's speaking awfully quickly in his press conference.

January 12th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Hmm, if he does fail in the NFL will he go back to NCAA? And if so where?

Who cares... The dood has more money than the knows what to do with. He's been making millions of dollars per year for the last umteen years.

January 12th, 2010, 2:55 pm
RIP Killer

Sources: Gibbs joins Carroll's staff
Comment Email Print Share
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
Archive
New Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll has hired Alex Gibbs to join the team as an assistant head coach, according to sources.

Gibbs would oversee Seattle's offensive line zone run-block system that will be compatible with the scheme that will be coordinated by Jeremy Bates, the sources said.

Gibbs has been serving that current position with the Houston Texans, but sources say he embraced an opportunity from the Seahawks and accepted their offer to join the staff. Gibbs is among the most reputable line coaches in NFL history.

January 12th, 2010, 2:58 pm
RIP Killer

Seahawks were interested in Dungy
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
Archive
As the Seattle Seahawks face criticism for their execution of the NFL's "Rooney Rule" before naming Pete Carroll has their head coach, it was confirmed Monday that the Seahawks last month reached out to Tony Dungy to become their team president.

John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance that monitors the minority hiring process with the NFL, said Dungy turned down the opportunity with the Seahawks.

"They called Tony about three weeks ago to see if he would seriously consider becoming their president," said Wooten. "He told them he wanted to pray and sleep on it but the next day he called them back and said he wanted to stick with everything he was doing now. He would have been the guy, I believe, if he had wanted to do it."

NFC West blog
ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Dungy told ESPN last month that an executive search firm had contacted him about a front office leadership position with an NFL franchise but he did not want to identify the team. Dungy could not be reached Monday night for a more specific response to the Seahawks' interest last month.

Wooten said the Seahawks' willingness to apparently hire Dungy was one reason why he was adamant with Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke that the team not name Carroll as team president and coach before he gave his blessing to Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to interview with the team.

"I've had a good line of communication with Tod now," said Wooten, who reiterated he was concerned with the reports that Carroll would have total control of the football operation. "Leslie Frazier was on his coaching list because that's a guy Tony Dungy recommends highly. But if Pete was in charge of everything, what would have been the point? That would have been a calamity."

Wooten is aware that Carroll will have control over the team's 53-man roster, but that it was important to the Pollard Alliance that a president and GM search proceed with minorities being interviewed.

"Look, I've been in football all my life and we all know that a good football operation means the GM and coach are on the same page when it comes to personnel," said Wooten. "And talking to Pete, he knows how it works, too. I'm working with Tod on the president and GM process. They will all get on the same page and Pete will have his input, just as he should as a head coach. ... just as Tony did with Bill Polian in Indianapolis. But the job description needs to be clear."

Wooten expected Leiweke was scheduled to brief him on the front office search that will include interviews with at least two minorities outside the organization -- New York Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross as a GM candidate and Pittsburgh Steelers business and football administration coordinator Omar Khan as a candidate for team president or in a more enhanced front office business role.

Wooten did believe stinging criticism of the process "isn't a bad thing but I don't want the media to overlook all the good that's been done since 2003."

He further noted that there was a major breakthrough with six minority hires at the NCAA Division 1 level in recent weeks.

"For me, that's the most encouraging development we've seen in awhile," said Wooten. "The NFL was far ahead of the NCAA and all we're trying to do is make sure the process works for everyone. We can't mandate who people hire but we can do our best to make sure the process is fair."

January 12th, 2010, 2:59 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Kirwan getting an interview in Seattle
Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2010 11:05 AM ET
It has long been believed that the first order of business for Pete Carroll upon returning to the NFL will be to invite Pat Kirwan to the party.

Kirwan worked with Carroll during Carroll's '90s-era NFL career, and Kirwan has since remained in the game via Sirius NFL Radio, NFL.com, and behind-the-scenes work for CBS.

Though Kirwan's name had been back-burnered during the first 48 hours of Carroll's tenure with the Seahawks, a league source tells us that Kirwan will be interviewed by the team for potential employment.

It's unknown whether the Seahawks will be considering Kirwan for the position of G.M. or some other job in the front office. Regardless, if Kirwan comes aboard he'll instantly become a key Carroll ally in the inevitable tug-o-war between Carroll and CEO Tod Leiweke. The greater Kirwan's title and authority receives, the more likely it will be that Carroll will be running the show in Seattle.

Looks like Carroll is trying to bring in his "buddies".

January 14th, 2010, 12:43 pm
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4838384

Sneider from Packers is new GM...
Seahawks hire Schneider
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive
Green Bay Packers director of football operations John Schneider has been chosen as the new general manager of the Seattle Seahawks.

NFC West blog
ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Schneider, 38, will be in his second stint with the Seahawks, having served in the club's front office in 2000. Seattle last week named Pete Carroll of USC as the team's new head coach, replacing the deposed Jim Mora, and then sought out to hire a general manager.

Schneider and Patriots senior executive Floyd Reese were the two finalists for the job, and the Seahawks zeroed in on Schneider, who already has taken two trips to Seattle.

A native of Wisconsin, Schneider has a wide and diverse resume in the league. He joined the NFL in 1992 as a personnel intern to then-Packers general manager Ron Wolf, and in addition to his time in Green Bay, has worked in the front offices of Kansas City (1997-99), Seattle (2000), and Washington (2001). He rejoined the Packers in 2002 as the personnel analyst to general manager Ted Thompson and was promoted into his current post in 2008.

A graduate of the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn., Schneider played one season of college football before his career was ended by a shoulder injury.
Quote:

January 19th, 2010, 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2