View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 12:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cards vs Packers End of Game Controversy 
RIP Killer

Post Cards vs Packers End of Game Controversy
I think most are aware of this by now.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/10/pack ... ntroversy/

Good article with video at the bottom.

Seems to me that the holding call for the flag that went out was a distraction as well as the "holy crap the football is bouncing around we need to watch for problems with that." Also the angle the ref had was not very good to see the facemask.

None the less... sucks for Packers fans though it really didn't change the outcome of the play.

January 11th, 2010, 2:17 pm
QB Coach

I've watched several replays of this and I'm not sure he actually grasps the facemask and pulls. With that said, I think it still should have been an illegal hands to the face penalty or perhaps roughing the passer since contact to the head of the QB is illegal. Either way it would have been 1st down Green Bay. All of this would be moot if Rodgers had hit a streaking wide open Greg Jennings two plays earlier on a play that would almost assuredly have ended with a TD.

January 11th, 2010, 2:25 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: Cards vs Packers End of Game Controversy
steensn wrote:
I think most are aware of this by now.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/10/pack ... ntroversy/

Good article with video at the bottom.

Seems to me that the holding call for the flag that went out was a distraction as well as the "holy crap the football is bouncing around we need to watch for problems with that." Also the angle the ref had was not very good to see the facemask.

None the less... sucks for Packers fans though it really didn't change the outcome of the play.

The issue I saw was with the helmet to helmet contact. I think the Pack has a legitimate beef on that one. I'm not saying they didn't deserve to lose the game with their mistakes and lack of defense but that was a big miss. The way the league has been babysitting qbs this season there's no way that one should have gone unflagged.

January 11th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Modmin Dude

I've watched several replays of this and I'm not sure he actually grasps the facemask and pulls. With that said, I think it still should have been an illegal hands to the face penalty or perhaps roughing the passer since contact to the head of the QB is illegal. Either way it would have been 1st down Green Bay. All of this would be moot if Rodgers had hit a streaking wide open Greg Jennings two plays earlier on a play that would almost assuredly have ended with a TD.

If the penalty took place after the fumble (which I think it did) then shouldn't the result have been 1st down Cards after the 15-yard personal foul penalty?

January 11th, 2010, 2:30 pm
Div 1 - Starter

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

If the penalty took place after the fumble (which I think it did) then shouldn't the result have been 1st down Cards after the 15-yard personal foul penalty?

Only if the Cards player had possession at the time which I think was the case.

January 11th, 2010, 2:33 pm
RIP Killer

My thinking is that the fumble started to take place prior to the contact with the helmet/facemask. As such, does the penalty not apply? Sort of like if you miss the football but hit the punter, it's running into the kicker. But if you contact the football you can bulldoze the punter without there being a call.

January 11th, 2010, 2:33 pm
RIP Killer

Very good points! I think the possession has to take place before the penalty. Video shows that the ball is still in the air while the card defender was yanking on the facemask. He "almost" grabs the ball out of the air and might have actually grabbed it had the defender not been yanking his head down and to the right. Might not have kicked it up and had the interception because of the tuck rule. It would have hit the ground.

January 11th, 2010, 2:37 pm
RIP Killer

There could have been an illegal hands to the face penalty, that much I can agree with. It wasn't roughing the passer, because Rogers was no longer in possession of the football. Based upon the fact that the infraction took place while the ball was in the air, the Packers should have retained possession and been awarded the penalty yardage.

But hey, the refs can't see everything. On a play that important, you'd like to think that they could review it. But some folks will tell you EVERY play is important, and that penalties occur on just about every single snap. It's just a matter of whether you get caught or not.

January 11th, 2010, 3:20 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

There was illegal hands to the face and a facemask penalty, but neither were called and since both are judgement calls, aren't up to review. Being that there was a fumble and loose ball, there's no way they could see everything that happened, so it was missed. The refs had to follow the loose ball.

As to IF it had been called, it wouldn't have been the Cards ball because the hands to the face and facemask both took place prior to the recovery. The ball was knocked loose by the hands on way to the face, and the facemask and momentum is what caused Rodgers to fall back and kick the ball up into Dansby's hands.

Definitely missed calls, but too much going on that unless they make everything reviewable by the booth in the remaining 2 minutes or just go to the college system and make sure every call is right, then it is just part of the game and what's done is done.

January 11th, 2010, 3:27 pm
RIP Killer

Packers fans certainly have a reason to be upset though.

January 11th, 2010, 3:33 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

As M2K said, the refs can't call roughing the passer following a fumble, but if they had ruled it a forward pass/interception, they could have. Regardless, there was nothing stopping them from calling a facemask or unnecessary roughness for a blow to the head. As others have already stated, the ref probably never saw it.

January 11th, 2010, 3:37 pm
RIP Killer

The Pack were lucky to get to OT when Rackers shanked his short FG attempt wide left at the end of regulation. They also blew their chance to win the game when Rodgers missed a wide open Greg Jennings on the first play of OT.

January 11th, 2010, 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I only brought up the possibility of a roughing call because of the blow to the head of a QB, which they seem to be emphasizing this year. Illegal contact/hands to the face or unnecessary roughness were the more likely potential calls. I like how Joe Buck says "Rodgers takes a hand to the face" but then doesn't mention anything about the non-call.

January 11th, 2010, 4:09 pm
QB Coach

Missed throw stuck with Rodgers
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 11, 2010 3:02 PM ET
Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Warner put on a show Sunday afternoon that we'll remember for a long time. For that, we're thankful.

We're also thankful that Rodgers is handling the aftermath so professionally. Rodgers said he didn't think twice about the lack of a facemask call on the game's final play.

"No, I didn't [think about the no-call.] I really didn't. I get paid to play," Rodgers said Monday.
"There's always going to be one or two plays in the game where you wonder should there be a call, shouldn't there be a call, but those are out of my control. The things I worry about are the things I can control."

Instead, Rodgers pointed the finger at himself for missing a throw to Greg Jennings two plays earlier.

"I made some mistakes in the game. Those are the ones I'm thinking about. Not a potential facemask on that. . . . The one play I was thinking about laying in bed was the first play of overtime. Unfortunately, just missed Greg on that one that could have ended the game. But they made a play in overtime, you have to give them credit for that."

We'll give credit to Rodgers for a superlative performance. His 22-yard sideline pass under pressure to Greg Jennings with 3:20 left in regulation was one of our favorite plays of the year. (It's at the 5:50 mark here.)

It's a little easier, of course, to appreciating the finer points of a loss since we don't wear cheese on his heads during Packers games.

January 11th, 2010, 4:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Maybe its Karma after the Non Call in the Superbowl on the magical INT Return by harrison right before halftime. There was a blantant block ion the back that prevent harrison from being tackled short of the goal line, and the refs, Play announcers, media, everyone glossed over it when it happened and after the Sbowl.

If its Karma, id consider it fair for the Cards, even though I would have rather seen Farve v Packers, Round 3.

January 11th, 2010, 5:24 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next