View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 8:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Assistant Coaches 
QB Coach

Post Assistant Coaches
I figured I'd start a thread with info on various assistant coaching hires and firings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f ... index.html

Atlanta decided not to renew the contract of secondary coach Emmit Thomas.

In other news, Washington hired Jim Hasslet to be the DC in DC.

more info here http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4820872

January 13th, 2010, 12:28 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

And Stan Kwan was fired as Special Teams Coordinator of the Detroit Lions. You can't forget that one! :D

January 13th, 2010, 12:32 am
QB Coach

Ah yes how could I have left off that happy news. I wonder who we'll end up with to replace him. Probably not Bobby April

Quote:
Bobby April makes the rounds
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2010 9:10 PM ET
Former Bills special teams coordinator Bobby April is having a pretty good January.

Fired eight days ago (but, according to the team, not really fired), April has multiple teams interested in his services.

Most recently, April has interviewed with the 49ers, according to the Associated Press.

On Sunday, April interviewed with the Steelers.

The Redskins also are interested.

At the NFL level, April previously worked for the Rams, Saints, Steelers, and Falcons. At the college level, April once spent four years with Southern Cal, which should put him in line for consideration for the job that no one wants -- if Lane Kiffin ultimately decides that he doesn't want it, either.

One other piece of info I saw today...

Quote:
Dennison chosen as Houston's offensive coordinator
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 12, 2010 6:53 PM ET
Gary Kubiak is replacing Mike Shanahan's son with a former Shanahan assistant.

The Houston Chronicle reports that Rick Dennison will be the next offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans. Kyle Shanahan recently left to join his father in Washington.

Kubiak and Dennison worked together in Denver for five seasons before Kubiak got the Texans job. Dennison worked in Denver for 15 years. It's unclear if he will call the plays in Houston.

The news caps a day where Mike Shanahan's influence was felt all over the league. His former assistant Alex Gibbs is a new feather in Pete Carroll's cap. Shanahan met with Jim Haslett and made a run at Romeo Crennel. And now Dennison will help replace Gibbs in Houston.

Look for running backs coach Bobby Turner to soon join Dennison as a Denver coach leaving Josh McDaniels' staff. Turner will work for -- you guessed it -- Mike Shanahan.

January 13th, 2010, 12:38 am
1st Round Pick

The Giants Fired defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan. The Bears Fired Ron Turner as their OC . I know there are a lot more just cant think of them off the top of my head. Oh the steelers fired there oc in Bruce Arians and their QB coach ken Anderson retired.

January 13th, 2010, 1:09 pm
RIP Killer

Crennel reunites with Weis, Pioli in KC
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services
As expected, the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday officially hired Romeo Crennel to be their new defensive coordinator.

Crennel
Crennel, who replaces Clancy Pendergast, reunites with general manager Scott Pioli and offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, who all worked together in New England during their Super Bowl runs. Weis was hired by Kansas City last week following his ouster as Notre Dame's coach.

The Chiefs informed Pendergast early Wednesday that they would be terminating his contract one year after hiring him from Arizona, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Potential landing spots for Pendergast could include Atlanta, which did not renew the contract of defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas.

Crennel will not start work for Kansas City for a couple of weeks because of a prior commitment -- he'll be the head coach of the East Team in the East-West college football all-star game on Jan. 23 in Orlando, Fla.

Crennel coached the Browns for four seas

January 13th, 2010, 1:13 pm
QB Coach

The Giants Fired defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan. The Bears Fired Ron Turner as their OC . I know there are a lot more just cant think of them off the top of my head. Oh the steelers fired there oc in Bruce Arians and their QB coach ken Anderson retired.

The Steelers actually retained Arians. He went on twitter a few days ago saying he was getting fired but in the end he was retained.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ed-arians/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/

they did however fire their o-line coach. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ine-coach/

January 13th, 2010, 1:28 pm
QB Coach

Longtime offensive line coach Joe Bugel has retired from the Redskins.

January 13th, 2010, 1:32 pm
1st Round Pick

Quote:
ESPN.com news services
As expected, the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday officially hired Romeo Crennel to be their new defensive coordinator.

Crennel
Crennel, who replaces Clancy Pendergast, reunites with general manager Scott Pioli and offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, who all worked together in New England during their Super Bowl runs. Weis was hired by Kansas City last week following his ouster as Notre Dame's coach.

The Chiefs informed Pendergast early Wednesday that they would be terminating his contract one year after hiring him from Arizona, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Potential landing spots for Pendergast could include Atlanta, which did not renew the contract of defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas.

Crennel will not start work for Kansas City for a couple of weeks because of a prior commitment -- he'll be the head coach of the East Team in the East-West college football all-star game on Jan. 23 in Orlando, Fla.

All the all you can eat buffets in KC and the Rib joints better shut down now with Charlie and Romeo comming to town

January 13th, 2010, 2:59 pm
Walk On

steensn wrote:
Quote:
ESPN.com news services

Crennel

All the all you can eat buffets in KC and the Rib joints better shut down now with Charlie and Romeo comming to town

Now thats some funny stuff!!!

January 13th, 2010, 6:19 pm
RIP Killer

Redskins hired longtime Steelers defensive assistant coach Lou Spanos as their linebackers coach.

January 13th, 2010, 8:15 pm
1st Round Pick

Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2010 11:01 PM ET
Last week, the Steelers parted ways with offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.

On Wednesday, they hired his replacement.

According to Jason La Canfora of NFL.com, the Steelers have agreed to terms with Sean Kugler.

Kugler was fired last week by the Bills after two years on the job. He previously spent the 2006 season at Boise State, and he worked from 2001 through 2005 as part of the Matt Millen regime in Detroit.

So, basically, Steelers fans are gonna love this decision.

January 14th, 2010, 12:43 am
RIP Killer

Pees: I'm not renewing contract
By Mike Reiss
ESPNBoston.com
Archive
Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees, whose contract expires at the end of the month, will not return to the team, he announced Thursday. Pees had served as the team's coordinator since 2006.

[+] Enlarge
Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US Presswire
Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees says it's time to pursue other opportunities.
Pees released this statement through the Patriots Thursday night:

"My contract with the New England Patriots will expire in a couple of weeks and I have informed Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick that I will not seek to renew it. I enjoyed my time in New England, but feel this is the right time to pursue other opportunities. I had the privilege of working with some great coaches and great players over the past six seasons and leave the Patriots with some wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. In addition to the players and coaching staff, I want to thank the Kraft family, the media and the fans for all of their support."

The Patriots ranked fifth in fewest points allowed in 2009, although the defense -- which was transitioning from a veteran unit to one with more youth -- struggled to close out games at times.

Pees initially joined the Patriots staff in 2004 after serving as head coach at Kent State from 1998 to 2003. He had spent his entire career in college prior to joining New England, serving as linebackers coach for two seasons before replacing Eric Mangini as coordinator.

Health could have been a factor in the decision. In the season finale at Houston, Pees left the game during the second half with shortness of breath and was admitted to the hospital. He checked out fine and flew home to New England the following day.

Pees, 60, underwent prostate cancer surgery last summer, and then battled a blood clot in his leg, according to the Boston Globe. He's reportedly now cancer-free, but has faced other medical scares.

"It's time for my wife and I to just sit back now, and not commit to anything," Pees told the Globe. "I want to be fair to New England because of how well the Patriots have treated me. I had some reservations, and to be fair to everyone, this had to be done."

As for a possible replacement, in-house candidates include linebackers coach Matt Patricia and defensive line coach Pepper Johnson.

January 14th, 2010, 8:40 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I think I remember hearing on the radio a couple days ago that April signed with Washington.

January 17th, 2010, 12:53 am
QB Coach

I think I remember hearing on the radio a couple days ago that April signed with Washington.

Nope. Philly.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 17th, 2010, 12:55 am
Div 1 - Starter

Nolan out in Denver. That seems like a pretty dumb move.

January 18th, 2010, 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next