View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Assistant Coaches 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

It certainly didn't take Nolan long to find work:
PFT wrote:
Dolphins hire Nolan
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2010 2:07 PM ET
Yesterday at this time, Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator of the Broncos.

Today, he's the defensive coordinator of the Dolphins.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the deal is done.

It's still not clear why Nolan and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels mutually decided to part ways. But, apparently, Nolan had a bird in the hand before he bolted from the Broncos.

January 19th, 2010, 4:48 pm
Team MVP

Dan Pees, the DC for New England whose contract expired is about to take the DC job with the Broncos.

January 19th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Team MVP

Bears hired Mike Tice as their o-line coach.

January 19th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Div 1 - Starter

What is with the Bears and picking failed head coaches up?

January 19th, 2010, 11:51 pm
RIP Killer

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... -join-jags

Quote:
Joe Cullen’s background is as a defensive line coach.

Cullen
Jack Del Rio has a defensive line coach in Ted Monachino.

So it’s unclear just what is unfolding on Del Rio’s staff. But Cullen looks like he’s in line to join Jacksonville.

And before the punch lines start flying, the Jaguars did their due diligence on the former Lions assistant who once drove through a suburban Detroit Wendy’s naked -- a scene later revisited through a Jon Kitna Halloween costume.

Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote Wayne Weaver a letter saying Cullen has redeemed himself. This news story will cover that for you.

Perhaps JDR is looking to double up. Pass rush is the Jaguars biggest issue, at least on defense.

January 21st, 2010, 10:53 am
1st Round Pick

Comment Email Print Share By Tim Graham
ESPN.com
Archive
One day after coming within a half of reaching the Super Bowl, the New York Jets parted ways with five assistant coaches.

Among those let go were assistant defensive backs coach Doug Plank, assistant quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, special-teams coach Kevin O'Dea and defensive quality control coach Brian Smith. Plank was fired. The other three had contracts that expired and weren't renewed, a Jets spokesman confirmed.

Pass-rushing consultant Chuck Smith left to become defensive line coach at the University of Tennessee.

Jets coach Rex Ryan didn't mention the coaches by name at his Monday afternoon news conference but did say some members of his staff would not have expired contracts renewed.

"We're going to have, unfortunately the way everything is, there's some guys on our staff that their contracts won't be extended," Ryan said. "They ran out, and some contracts will not be extended, and that's unfortunate because some guys did a great job. I'd really rather not get into the particulars of things right now."

Plank is the most notable casualty. He wore No. 46 as a safety for the Chicago Bears and was the inspiration for the 46 defense, the innovative defensive scheme devised by Buddy Ryan, father of Jets head coach Rex Ryan.

Plank, who worked with secondary coach Dennis Thurman, was an assistant with the Atlanta Falcons last year.

DeFilippo joined the Jets after two years as Oakland Raiders' quarterbacks coach. His job seemed superfluous with veteran quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer on staff.

O'Dea worked with special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff. The club also had an assistant special-teams coach, Ben Kotwica.

Ryan asked Chuck Smith, a former Falcons defensive end, to remain with the club after helping in training camp.

Outside linebacker Calvin Pace recently praised Smith for helping him lead the Jets with eight sacks and 13 tackles for losses despite missing four games to suspension. But Smith couldn't help Vernon Gholston, the sixth overall draft choice in 2008, make any sort of impact.

Tim Graham covers the AFC East for ESPN.com.

January 25th, 2010, 6:41 pm

PFT wrote:
Bucs linebackers coach bolts for USC
Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2010 1:16 PM ET
After former Tampa Bay defensive line coach Rod Marinelli became the head coach of the Lions, the Buccaneers opted not to allow linebackers coach Joe Barry from his contract so that he could join Marinelli, his father-in-law, in Detroit.

Though the Bucs routinely refused to release assistant coaches from their contracts, the Barry-Marinelli situation was different. Marinelli's wife helped take care of Barry's children, and plenty of league insiders were disappointed by the team's refusal to allow Barry to leave.

A year later he did, becoming the Lions' defensive coordinator.

Last year, however, Barry didn't join Marinelli in Chicago. Barry instead returned to Tampa.

Now, after only one year back with the Bucs, the franchise is letting Barry leave early, so that he can join another nepotism combination at Southern California.

According to PewterReport.com, Barry has been released from his contract, and he has taken a job on Lane Kiffin's staff. Kiffin's father, Monte, served as the Buccaneers' defensive coordinator from 1996 through 2008.

It's too early to tell whether this means that the Bucs have changed their past policy of letting assistant coaches leave for other jobs, even if it would be a promotion.

January 26th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Marinelli open to becoming Bears defensive coordinator
Defensive line coach was Smith's 1st choice for job in 2004

MOBILE, Ala. — Becoming the Bears' defensive coordinator might not be the ideal scenario for Rod Marinelli, but the assistant head coach/defensive line wouldn't be opposed to it, if Lovie Smith runs out of options.

"Whatever Lovie needs, I'll do," Marinelli said Tuesday during practice at the Senior Bowl. "If the field needs to be mowed, I'll bring my hand-mower out. … There's no job too small."

Finding a defensive coordinator has turned out to be a tall task. The Bears were confident they could land Perry Fewell after Fewell was taken out of the head-coaching mix in Buffalo. But the former Bears defensive backs coach chose the Giants instead. It is unclear if the Bears have any other candidates lined up.

Smith said he wanted to find a coordinator committed to the same scheme, and Marinelli would fit the description. The day before Smith officially announced plans to give up the defensive play-calling, he had a discussion with Marinelli.

Marinelli declined to reveal what the meeting was about because he is focused on improving the front four. Although the defensive line showed improvement at the end of the season, the pass rush wasn't consistent. The Bears had 35 sacks, 25 from the defensive line. They had no sacks in consecutive games against the Falcons and Bengals.

"The best way I could help (Smith) right now is by doing my job better,'' Marinelli said. "I put an enormous amount of pressure on myself to be great. I was brought here to really get that group going at a championship level. I failed to do that so far.''

When Smith came to the Bears in 2004, he wanted Marinelli as his defensive coordinator. But Marinelli was under contract with the Buccaneers and they blocked the move.

Smith, who took over the play-calling duties from linebackers coach Bob Babich after the 2008 season, still has to fill four coaching spots: offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach and tight ends coach.

"I think (Lovie's) doing a great job because he's quiet about everything and he's thorough," Marinelli said. "He's working at his pace."

I can only hope that this happens. :lol:

January 27th, 2010, 3:41 pm
1st Round Pick

Chicago Tribune wrote:
Marinelli open to becoming Bears defensive coordinator
Defensive line coach was Smith's 1st choice for job in 2004

MOBILE, Ala. — Becoming the Bears' defensive coordinator might not be the ideal scenario for Rod Marinelli, but the assistant head coach/defensive line wouldn't be opposed to it, if Lovie Smith runs out of options.

"Whatever Lovie needs, I'll do," Marinelli said Tuesday during practice at the Senior Bowl. "If the field needs to be mowed, I'll bring my hand-mower out. … There's no job too small."

Finding a defensive coordinator has turned out to be a tall task. The Bears were confident they could land Perry Fewell after Fewell was taken out of the head-coaching mix in Buffalo. But the former Bears defensive backs coach chose the Giants instead. It is unclear if the Bears have any other candidates lined up.

Smith said he wanted to find a coordinator committed to the same scheme, and Marinelli would fit the description. The day before Smith officially announced plans to give up the defensive play-calling, he had a discussion with Marinelli.

Marinelli declined to reveal what the meeting was about because he is focused on improving the front four. Although the defensive line showed improvement at the end of the season, the pass rush wasn't consistent. The Bears had 35 sacks, 25 from the defensive line. They had no sacks in consecutive games against the Falcons and Bengals.

"The best way I could help (Smith) right now is by doing my job better,'' Marinelli said. "I put an enormous amount of pressure on myself to be great. I was brought here to really get that group going at a championship level. I failed to do that so far.''

When Smith came to the Bears in 2004, he wanted Marinelli as his defensive coordinator. But Marinelli was under contract with the Buccaneers and they blocked the move.

Smith, who took over the play-calling duties from linebackers coach Bob Babich after the 2008 season, still has to fill four coaching spots: offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach and tight ends coach.

"I think (Lovie's) doing a great job because he's quiet about everything and he's thorough," Marinelli said. "He's working at his pace."

I can only hope that this happens. :lol:

Guess there disapointed they couldnt lad Joe Barry who ended up going to USC. If Rod takes over the D and the bears start focusing more on their pad level then there gap responsibilities , we might have a shot at winning a division game. :arrow:

January 28th, 2010, 12:28 pm
RIP Killer

Martz: Chicago's best chance for quick fix
January, 29, 2010
JAN 29
4:05
PM ET
Comment Email Print Share
By Kevin Seifert
Two weeks ago, I laid out my argument for Mike Martz as the best candidate to be Chicago’s next offensive coordinator. Friday, the Bears confirmed Martz was at team headquarters to interview for the job.

There was no rush to interview Martz, who is not known to be a candidate for a position elsewhere. So I don’t know if there is much to read into the timing of this meeting. Coach Lovie Smith knows Martz well from their days together in St. Louis. For all we know, Smith wanted to get a better feel for his alternatives before formally meeting with Martz.

I won’t rehash what I wrote earlier other than to say the Bears need a quick fix. They’ve missed the playoffs for three consecutive years under Smith. If they don’t improve in 2010, there isn’t likely to be a 2011 for this coaching staff.

Martz has experience in quickly implementing a high-powered passing offense. Hiring a candidate with lesser credentials might work out in the long-term, but the Bears can’t afford to think long-term. Everything about their problems must be considered from a short-term perspective. Is it even fair to give a first-time NFL coordinator one year to overhaul and turn this offense around?

Martz interviewing with Bears.

January 29th, 2010, 5:12 pm

I think it's funny that the Bears are on their 6th or 7th choice for an Offensive Coordinator now. Nobody wants the job, so they may have to settle for someone like Martz that does.

January 29th, 2010, 5:59 pm
1st Round Pick

Patriots hire former Wolverine, Lion Corwin Brown
FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

Comments (1) Recommend Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share Facebook Twitter Digg Del.icio.us Reddit Newsvine Buzz up!
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — The New England Patriots have hired former Notre Dame assistant Corwin Brown as a defensive coach.

The Patriots announced Brown’s appointment today. He had spent the past three seasons as defensive coordinator for the Irish, who recently hired new head coach Brian Kelly to turn around a program that has struggled for a decade.

Brown was defensive backs coach for the New York Jets from 2004-06. His units intercepted a total of 56 passes, tied for fifth in the league.

Brown, a fourth-round pick out of Michigan, played four seasons for the Patriots. He also played for the Jets and Lions.

New England won the AFC East in 2009 for the sixth time in seven seasons, but lost to Baltimore 33-14 in the playoffs.

What I remember most about this guy is his Hit that almost Knocked keyshawn Johnson out Cold. Those were the days when we actualy had winning records and played on sunday night football

January 30th, 2010, 1:09 pm

NFL.com wrote:
Bears hire Martz to be their offensive coordinator
By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 2/1/2010 2:43 PM LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Bears on Monday hired Mike Martz to be their offensive coordinator.

Martz, 58, worked with Bears coach Lovie Smith in St. Louis, operating an explosive Rams offense that was dubbed “The Greatest Show on Turf.” The unit featured quarterback Kurt Warner, running back Marshall Faulk, and wide receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

As offensive coordinator under head coach Dick Vermeil in 1999, Martz helped the Rams win Super Bowl XXXIV by directing an offense that recorded the first of three straight 500-point seasons, an NFL record.

In his first year as a starter, Warner passed for 4,353 yards and 41 touchdowns.

Martz replaced Vermeil as head coach in 2000 and went on to compile a 56-36 record in five and a half seasons in that role. The four coaches who have followed Martz have combined to go 18-51 since he left.

Martz hired Smith to be his defensive coordinator in 2001. In their first year together, they helped lead the Rams to their second Super Bowl in three seasons, cruising to a 14-2 record, including 8-0 on the road.

After departing St. Louis, Martz served as offensive coordinator with the Detroit Lions in 2006-07 and the San Francisco 49ers in 2008. In his first season with the Lions, unheralded quarterback Jon Kitna passed for a career-high 4,208 yards at the age of 34.

After serving as an offensive assistant at Arizona State from 1983-91, Martz coached quarterbacks and receivers with the Rams from 1992-96. He left St. Louis to become quarterbacks coach with the Washington Redskins in 1997-98 before returning to the Rams in 1999.

With the addition of Martz, Smith now has three former NFL head coaches on his staff. The other two are defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and new offensive line coach Mike Tice.

February 1st, 2010, 4:51 pm
1st Round Pick

It's official:
NFL.com wrote:
By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 2/1/2010 2:43 PM LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Bears on Monday hired Mike Martz to be their offensive coordinator.

Martz, 58, worked with Bears coach Lovie Smith in St. Louis, operating an explosive Rams offense that was dubbed “The Greatest Show on Turf.” The unit featured quarterback Kurt Warner, running back Marshall Faulk, and wide receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

As offensive coordinator under head coach Dick Vermeil in 1999, Martz helped the Rams win Super Bowl XXXIV by directing an offense that recorded the first of three straight 500-point seasons, an NFL record.

In his first year as a starter, Warner passed for 4,353 yards and 41 touchdowns.

Martz replaced Vermeil as head coach in 2000 and went on to compile a 56-36 record in five and a half seasons in that role. The four coaches who have followed Martz have combined to go 18-51 since he left.

Martz hired Smith to be his defensive coordinator in 2001. In their first year together, they helped lead the Rams to their second Super Bowl in three seasons, cruising to a 14-2 record, including 8-0 on the road.

After departing St. Louis, Martz served as offensive coordinator with the Detroit Lions in 2006-07 and the San Francisco 49ers in 2008. In his first season with the Lions, unheralded quarterback Jon Kitna passed for a career-high 4,208 yards at the age of 34.

After serving as an offensive assistant at Arizona State from 1983-91, Martz coached quarterbacks and receivers with the Rams from 1992-96. He left St. Louis to become quarterbacks coach with the Washington Redskins in 1997-98 before returning to the Rams in 1999.

With the addition of Martz, Smith now has three former NFL head coaches on his staff. The other two are defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and new offensive line coach Mike Tice.

This ought to be fun. Maybe we can beat the bears once or twice this season. Can't you just see Rods Defense getting tired he goes over to martz and says you think you could Pound the rock for a bit my guys are getting tired. Too which Martz responds your really irritating with all that crap now, outta my way i need to call a Pass play.

February 1st, 2010, 5:08 pm
slybri19 wrote:
It's official:
NFL.com wrote:

This ought to be fun. Maybe we can beat the bears once or twice this season. Can't you just see Rods Defense getting tired he goes over to martz and says you think you could Pound the rock for a bit my guys are getting tired. Too which Martz responds your really irritating with all that crap now, outta my way i need to call a Pass play.

I'd be willing to bet they stomp us next year, and their offensive numbers go up, not down...

February 1st, 2010, 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next