View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Assistant Coaches 
RIP Killer

February 1st, 2010, 5:47 pm
Veteran General Manager

The Bears can go ahead and kiss good by to whatever shred of a running game that remains. I guarantee the most P.O.ed person on Earth right now is Matt Forte.

I guarantee we will get 1 win and probably 2 wins against the Bears this year. For some unknown reason they are like the moth to the flame when it comes to hiring our discredited former coaches.

Cutler will be sacked 50+ times ( if he isn't knocked onto the IR before then).

Their defense is yet another year older and they don't have a pick until the 3rd round. And they will probably use it on an OL player.

I see them finishing next year in the NFC North basement. Lovie Gets canned.

February 1st, 2010, 9:54 pm
The Bears can go ahead and kiss good by to whatever shred of a running game that remains. I guarantee the most P.O.ed person on Earth right now is Matt Forte.

I guarantee we will get 1 win and probably 2 wins against the Bears this year. For some unknown reason they are like the moth to the flame when it comes to hiring our discredited former coaches.

Cutler will be sacked 50+ times ( if he isn't knocked onto the IR before then).

Their defense is yet another year older and they don't have a pick until the 3rd round. And they will probably use it on an OL player.

I see them finishing next year in the NFC North basement. Lovie Gets canned.

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that we finish lower than the Bears next season...

February 1st, 2010, 10:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Egocentric? Sure. An bunghole. Probably. Hard to work with - Thats why he got fired.

He also had the best offense weve had in awhile. and is still a great OC (although his QBss do get beat up).

February 1st, 2010, 10:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Martz was never discredited.

Egocentric? Sure. An bunghole. Probably. Hard to work with - Thats why he got fired.

He also had the best offense weve had in awhile. and is still a great OC (although his QBss do get beat up).

Martz was fired by the Rams, Lions, and 49ers...I do not think that would qualify someone as great.

February 2nd, 2010, 12:06 pm
Walk On

DJ-B wrote:

Martz was fired by the Rams, Lions, and 49ers...I do not think that would qualify someone as great.

He was fired from the Rams for being a head coach. He didn't even do that bad, I just don't think he has the ability to build a organizational structure. The Lions he was fired for not being Rod Marinelli. He should never have been subservient to Rod, to much of a culture clash. Same thing with 49ers, he was never going to be a good OC with Singletary as HC. No way does Singletary want an O to work the way Martz's O's work.

Doesn't even make much sense to bring him into Chicago if it wasn't for Cutler. Chicago learned that Cutler can't make decisions for himself 4 years in. So now they have a coach that will focus his throws more and show him off. Do that for a year or two and it makes the trade look good. His best bets are places like Seattle, Cleveland, Denver, KC, or last year he would have been a good match in Oakland.

February 2nd, 2010, 12:33 pm
DJ-B wrote:

He won a SB in St. Louis, built one of the best offenses in football, took a guy that was sacking groceries and turned him into the MVP, and greatly improved our offense (which suffered when he left, despite getting more offensive talent).

His problems seem more to do with likability than with his football mind.

February 2nd, 2010, 12:35 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Mlive wrote:
Bears' hiring of Mike Martz as offensive coordinator spells more trouble for Lions
By Tom Kowalski
February 02, 2010, 1:15PM

The Detroit Lions already had issues stopping the Chicago Bears' patchwork offense but now that Mike Martz has been hired to be Chicago's offensive coordinator, the Lions' problems in the division just took a sharp turn for the worse.

Think about it.

In addition to the strong possibility that Brett Favre will be back with the Vikings, you've got Aaron Rodgers and those receivers in Green Bay and now you can add a Martz-coached Jay Cutler to the equation.

The Lions have given up more points in a two-year span than any other team in NFL history. Unless the Lions hit some tape-measure home runs in the draft and free agency, they're looking at a third straight year of futility.

The Bears used to be a run-first and dink-and-dunk team second. That changed a little when Cutler, the strong-armed quarterback, arrived in Chicago in the trade with the Broncos. That's going to change drastically now that Martz is in town. The Bears will certainly have balance with the run game, but they're going to be a big-time vertical passing team.

People need to be reminded that when Martz arrived in Detroit in 2006, he was put in charge of the offense and his only directive was to score points. Then-head coach Rod Marinelli believed he could do enough with the defense to turn the Lions into a winner.

However, it quickly became apparent that Detroit's defense was beyond pathetic and that a run-based, control-the-clock-type offensive attack was needed to limit the devastation. That's when the problems started. Martz wanted to keep attacking on offense -- which he was hired to do -- and Marinelli wanted him to throttle it way back.

That's why Martz became the scapegoat and got sacked in 2007, his second year on the job.

Some believe that Martz's reunion with Marinelli in Chicago is a recipe for disaster. Martz holds no ill will toward Marinelli at all and, even after he was fired, spoke in the most glowing terms about Marnelli. Martz understood the situation and what Marinelli had to do.

Bears coach Lovie Smith, who had worked with Martz in St Louis, is the guy who suggested Martz to Marinelli in the first place. Marinelli has a great deal of respect in Martz's coaching ability -- in fact, even Martz's most ardent critics have to admit the guy is a brilliant teacher, strategist and playcaller.

The problem? Martz is also a bit quirky. Not in a divisive way, but he can rub some people the wrong way and he's definitely stubborn. He's a character, not a cancer.

Going into Chicago, Martz can make things easier on himself if he changes in two distinct areas: One, he has to quit giving too much busy work to his assistant coaches and give them more trust and, two, he has to understand that all players don't see the football world in the same Matrix-type patterns that he does. Martz sees things most others don't and he gets irritated and cranky when they can't see it, too.

Martz will continue to be extremely hard on his players -- the discipline of his system requires attention to detail - but he has to know when to pull off.

Whether Martz is a success or failure in Chicago will ultimately come down to one thing and one thing only ---do the players buy into his system and stick with him?

In Detroit, they bought in early, but the hard work -- especially mentally -- began to wear on them and they ultimately bailed. Guys such as Jon Kitna and Dominic Raiola stayed true to the end but they were outnumbered and they knew it. The terrible defense and Marinelli's desire to change the offensive attack gave the malcontents the excuse they needed.

But now Martz is in Chicago and has a defense that doesn't need to be protected.

For Detroit general manager Martin Mayhew and the Lions, the urgency in acquiring quality defensive help in the off-season just went up a few notches.

The only problem is that Chicago's OL is just as bad as the Lions. I'll be very surprised if Cutler survives past week 6 or so. Bring on J.T. O'Sullivan!

February 2nd, 2010, 3:50 pm
Veteran General Manager

Stallion wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

He won a SB in St. Louis, built one of the best offenses in football, took a guy that was sacking groceries and turned him into the MVP, and greatly improved our offense (which suffered when he left, despite getting more offensive talent).

That and the fact that he doesn't know what a RB is supposed to do.

February 2nd, 2010, 7:03 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Stallion wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

That and the fact that he doesn't know what a RB is supposed to do.

Really? Tell that to Steven Jackson or Frank Gore... They both seemed to run just fine under Martz. Could it be that we really were simply incapable of running the ball when Martz was here? To me that seems to be the case...

February 2nd, 2010, 7:08 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Gore and Jackson caught the ball out of the backfield better then our schlubs did. Forte can catch passes out of the backfield too. It will be a good fit in that regard. They need to focus on upgrading their offensieve line (I spelled that how I want it to appear). If they can't give Cutler the time to make his throws in those long developing Mike Martz plays, then he'll be on the ground a lot.

I think its funny that Marinelli and Martz are reunited again. Hell, why not bring Millen on board as an assitant GM?

February 2nd, 2010, 11:36 pm
RIP Killer

Since when has Cutler thrown to a spot on the field?

NEVER.

Cutler is not a Martz QB and is not a pure pocket passer like Warner, Bulger, or Kitna were. He's at his best on a rollout, which he'll need to do alot with Chicago ancient patchwork line.

February 2nd, 2010, 11:51 pm
Since when has Cutler thrown to a spot on the field?

NEVER.

Cutler is not a Martz QB and is not a pure pocket passer like Warner, Bulger, or Kitna were. He's at his best on a rollout, which he'll need to do alot with Chicago ancient patchwork line.

JT seems like a roll-out passer too, and Martz likes him. I really don't think that Martz cares where on the field the ball is thrown from, as long as it makes it to the right spot.

February 3rd, 2010, 12:06 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Im not convinced that the Bears will have the receiving corps to make Martz offense work. They're a bunch of nobody's, but then again, so were Furrey and McDonald. Is this going to change the role of Greg Olsen?

February 3rd, 2010, 11:25 am
RIP Killer

Has Martz ever had QB as talented at Cutler? I know he's had good QB's.. but none with Cutlers intangibles.

February 3rd, 2010, 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next