View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 8:43 am



Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Saints beat Packers on field goal in OT 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12248
Post Saints beat Packers on field goal in OT
Yeah, you saw that right...

Freep.com wrote:
January 24, 2010
NFC

Saints beat Packers on field goal in OT

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW ORLEANS — They sure ain’t the Aints anymore.

The New Orleans Saints are heading to their first Super Bowl after battering Brett Favre and beating the Minnesota Vikings, 31-28, in overtime tonight on unheralded Garrett Hartley’s 40-yard field goal.

Favre threw away Minnesota’s best chance to win, tossing an interception deep in New Orleans territory in the closing seconds of regulation. Then the Saints won the coin toss and soon it was over.

The team that had no home five years ago after Hurricane Katrina ravaged its city and the Superdome overcame a slew of mistakes in the biggest game the Big Easy has ever seen.

“This is for everybody in this city,” said coach Sean Payton, the architect of the Saints’ turnaround. “This stadium used to have holes in it and used to be wet. It’s not wet anymore. This is for the city of New Orleans.”

Forget the paper bag masks and that long history of losing that started in 1967. Moments after Hartley’s kick, they were toasting their hometown winners on Bourbon Street.

And in the Superdome, once a squalid refuge after Katrina, they boogied in the aisles as confetti covered the field.

“It’s a moment I’ve been waiting for for a long time and obviously we’re not done yet,” said Drew Brees, Payton’s hand-picked quarterback for the Saints’ renaissance.

The Saints (15-3) will meet Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts (16-2) in the Super Bowl in two weeks in Miami.

It’s the first time the top seeds in each conference made the big game since the 1993 season.

“Brett prepared us, but now we’ve got another challenge in Peyton,” safety Darren Sharper said.

The biggest error was made by Favre. Flushed from the pocket, he seemed to have room to run to set up a field goal. Instead, the 40-year-old quarterback threw cross-field and was intercepted by Tracy Porter at the 22.

That finished off Minnesota’s chance for its first Super Bowl trip in 33 years — and opportunity to win it for the first time.

New Orleans won the coin toss, Brees guided it to the Minnesota 22 and Hartley, suspended at the start of the season for using a banned stimulant, split the uprights 4:45 into OT.

“Just helping my team get to Miami,” Hartley said. “Just doing my part.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20100124/S ... goal-in-OT


Can you believe this??? LMAO!!! :lol:


EDIT:Hmm, maybe it's true that little things amuse little minds...cuz I'm still amused by this :lol:
Oh, and at last check, the article is still wrong

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


Last edited by TheRealWags on January 25th, 2010, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.



January 25th, 2010, 12:36 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12248
Post 
What?!?! No comments on the Freep's incorrect headline??? :confused:

Perhaps it was an inside joke that I didn't get........

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 25th, 2010, 9:12 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
The funniest part is that they still haven't changed it yet. But to be fair, the article was written by the AP and not the Free Press. I just wonder how many other papers across the country have ran the same story without correcting it?

_________________
Image


January 25th, 2010, 11:45 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12248
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
The funniest part is that they still haven't changed it yet. But to be fair, the article was written by the AP and not the Free Press. I just wonder how many other papers across the country have ran the same story without correcting it?


It's not that, the AP article is correct, it's the Freep's title that is wrong. I searched google for "Saints beat Packers" and the Freep is the only one that comes up for last night's game. LOL :lol:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 25th, 2010, 11:48 am
Profile
Post 
TheRealWags wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
The funniest part is that they still haven't changed it yet. But to be fair, the article was written by the AP and not the Free Press. I just wonder how many other papers across the country have ran the same story without correcting it?


It's not that, the AP article is correct, it's the Freep's title that is wrong. I searched google for "Saints beat Packers" and the Freep is the only one that comes up for last night's game. LOL :lol:


Ha... That is pretty funny!


January 26th, 2010, 7:44 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10355
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
that game was TERRIBLY officiated.

From a non-biased viewer, it was painful to watch.

_________________
_____
The kitties are slowly restoring some Millen killed faith. Now, beat those F'ing Fudgies!
Image


January 27th, 2010, 11:11 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
Didn't know this was a controversy...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/ ... id=4868880

Quote:
It was the third-quarter hit during the NFC Championship Game that injured Brett Favre, a low blow the NFL is now acknowledging should have been called a penalty, reversing a subsequent interception.

"It's the type of hit that we don't want," NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said, "... because clearly we're trying to protect the knees and we need to focus on this to make sure we don't miss [them]."

NFC North blog
ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Appearing on the NFL Network and NFL.com this week, Pereira said the right call had not been made during the New Orleans Saints' 31-28 overtime victory Sunday.

With the score tied 21-21, Favre took a hit from Saints defensive end Bobby McCray. The quarterback's left ankle was injured during the play, and he got it treated on the sideline and remained in the game.

"Pretty much a direct shot into the back of [Favre's] legs," Pereira said of the hit.

The Vikings would have had a first down at the Saints' 19-yard line.

Instead, linebacker Jonathan Vilma's interception put the Saints at their own 31-yard line, though they failed to score on the resulting series.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 29th, 2010, 5:11 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
steensn wrote:
Didn't know this was a controversy...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/ ... id=4868880

Quote:
It was the third-quarter hit during the NFC Championship Game that injured Brett Favre, a low blow the NFL is now acknowledging should have been called a penalty, reversing a subsequent interception.

"It's the type of hit that we don't want," NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said, "... because clearly we're trying to protect the knees and we need to focus on this to make sure we don't miss [them]."

NFC North blog
ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Appearing on the NFL Network and NFL.com this week, Pereira said the right call had not been made during the New Orleans Saints' 31-28 overtime victory Sunday.

With the score tied 21-21, Favre took a hit from Saints defensive end Bobby McCray. The quarterback's left ankle was injured during the play, and he got it treated on the sideline and remained in the game.

"Pretty much a direct shot into the back of [Favre's] legs," Pereira said of the hit.

The Vikings would have had a first down at the Saints' 19-yard line.

Instead, linebacker Jonathan Vilma's interception put the Saints at their own 31-yard line, though they failed to score on the resulting series.


It shouldn't be. I remember that play, and at first I thought it was a penalty worthy play, but after the replay I noticed McCray was blocked and knocked down and just kept moving toward Favre. I don't believe he intentionally attacked Favre's legs, he was just continuing to play.

I'm sick and tired of this crap with the over protection of quarterbacks. I can understand flagging a late hit, or a vicious shot to the coconut. But something like this is a guy trying hard and playing through the whistle.

Enough already.


January 29th, 2010, 8:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.