View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 G-Men cut LB Antonio Pierce 
RIP Killer

Post G-Men cut LB Antonio Pierce
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... fense.html

Quote:
Giants cut linebacker Antonio Pierce, injured heart and soul of defense
BY Ralph Vacchiano
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, February 11th 2010, 2:03 PM
Related NewsVoice of the People for Feb. 9, 2010Brees, Manning QB duel among Super Bowl's best everDenny's giving FREE Grand Slam from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. todayCaptain Phil Harris mourned by fansSearch Terms Explained: Alexander Mcqueen, Isabella Blow, Alec Baldwin hospital, Shahid Khan
Antonio Pierce, the heart and soul of the Giants’ defense for most of his five years with the franchise, is officially an ex-Giant now.

The 31-year-old middle linebacker was officially released by the team today, according to a person familiar with the transaction, in a difficult, but hardly surprising move. Pierce, who was informed of the move this morning, confirmed the move in an e-mail.

The Giants are expected to officially announce it later today.

Pierce’s status has been in doubt ever since he suffered a herniated disc in his neck that caused him to miss the final seven games of last season. Due to that injury, his age, and the fact that he was due $4.75 million in salary in 2010, he figured to be expendable in the Giants’ defensive overhaul.

Still, the decision couldn’t have been an easy one. After signing a six-year, $26 million contract with the Giants as a free agent in 2005, Pierce almost immediately became the captain and leader of the Giants’ defense. He also was a force on the field at times, recording 107 tackles in 2006 and making his lone Pro Bowl as an alternate.

In 2007, Pierce was one of the emotional leaders of the team during its charge to the Super Bowl XLII championship. The Giants played that season with a huge chip on their shoulders and an us-against-the-world mentality, which they took largely from him. Pierce’s play, though, had declined in recent years and there were indications that even if he hadn’t gotten hurt the Giants were planning to explore their options before next season.

Second-year pro Jonathan Goff got a brief tryout as Pierce’s replacement during this past season, though it is more likely the Giants will find Pierce’s replacement in free agency or the draft.

Meanwhile, it’s not clear what’s next for the 6-1, 238-pound Pierce, who has played nine NFL seasons after making the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2001. It seems clear, however, that he still wants to play.

“I’m doing great, feeling great,” Pierce said in an e-mail. “Looking forward to endless possibilities. Loved every moment as a NY GIANTS.”

February 11th, 2010, 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
I wonder what he would sign for? I'd take him here and cut Peterson if it would mean some savings (I do think Peterson is the better player though).

February 11th, 2010, 3:50 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Undoubtedly. He played in the middle there and is older and more injury prone then Foote. I wouldn't touch him.

February 11th, 2010, 4:03 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

He's not injury prone, the neck injury is the only injury he's suffered that cost playing time over the last few seasons. He's definitely a leader, but like you said, he's a MLB, so he would effect Foote, not Peterson. He is slow as poop though.

February 11th, 2010, 9:25 pm

A neck injury is pretty scary and I think it'd be easier to come back from Larry Foote's foot injury opposed to a neck injury.

February 12th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Modmin Dude

Can we please stop thinking about signing old, has-been, 'stop-gap' players? We have been doing that for the past decade and look where it got us. We need to build through the draft..period. Only when we actually have a chance to compete, should we be looking at these types of players.

/rant

February 12th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I would much rather have Foote back than sign Pierce.

February 12th, 2010, 1:48 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Me too!

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 12th, 2010, 2:26 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

A neck injury is pretty scary and I think it'd be easier to come back from Larry Foote's foot injury opposed to a neck injury.

A neck injury is exactly why we nor anyone else ever signed Al Wilson. . .

February 13th, 2010, 1:46 am

Wayne Fontes wrote:

A neck injury is exactly why we nor anyone else ever signed Al Wilson. . .

And why we shouldn't touch Pierce with a 10 foot pole.

February 15th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

February 16th, 2010, 1:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]