View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Peppers to visit with Bears 
#1 Overall Pick

$91.5M with $42M guaranteed! Is Bernie Madoff his agent or something because the Bears just got ripped off! That's beyond ridiculous, but I guess that could be a good thing for the Lions.

The initial report was that the first 3 years years were $40 million.... all guaranteed.

If that is true.... it sounds like Peppers has $50 million of FLUFF in that deal that he will never see. I'm sure his agent wanted the TOTAL money to look big because it makes him look good.

We'll have to wait to see the details of how it is structured, but it appears to be nothing more than a 3 year deal. And it the next CBA doesn't penalize front-loaded deals.... they may not even have much of a cap hit at all to cut him at that point.

What if it looks like this.....

2010..... $22 million (uncapped year)
2011..... $9 million
2012..... $11 million

funny money....
2013..... $14 million
2014..... $16 milllion
2015..... $20 million

Cap figures of about $10 million in years 2 & 3 aren't too bad for a guy that gets >sacks almost every year.

There seems to be some who are quick to dismiss this signing as overspending by the Bears...... but is that just because we didn't get him?

March 6th, 2010, 8:07 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Phunny, I understand your man-love for Peppers, but I don't think he's as good as he used to be. People have questioned his work ethic and motor, so how will he react after getting paid? Nobody knows. I've seen him completely disappear in some games, so I wonder if he truly loves the game and whether he will continue to produce. It could turn out to be a great signing by the Bears, or it could become an epic fail. Time will tell, but I don't feel he's worth what he got.

With that said, you're probably right about his contract. He'll get atleast $40M or $42M in the first three years, but it sounds like he has incentives which could push that total higher. I also wouldn't be surprised if he has a big option bonus due in 2013 which will determine whether he stays or goes either.

March 7th, 2010, 10:15 am
NFL Team Captain

I seen this morning that the contract is actually like 79 million and not 91 million like originally posted. NFL Network was debunking the rumor of 91 million.

March 7th, 2010, 2:16 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Phunny, I understand your man-love for Peppers, but I don't think he's as good as he used to be. People have questioned his work ethic and motor, so how will he react after getting paid? Nobody knows. I've seen him completely disappear in some games, so I wonder if he truly loves the game and whether he will continue to produce. It could turn out to be a great signing by the Bears, or it could become an epic fail. Time will tell, but I don't feel he's worth what he got.

With that said, you're probably right about his contract. He'll get atleast $40M or $42M in the first three years, but it sounds like he has incentives which could push that total higher. I also wouldn't be surprised if he has a big option bonus due in 2013 which will determine whether he stays or goes either.

I understand the concerns about Peppers reputation for taking plays off, so I want to clarify a few points. I wouldn't say I have "man-love" for him, because I do believe he has his flaws. And I also don't believe that any 1 player is going to turn this team into a playoff team.

But here are the frustrations I have.

#1.... Most of you know I'm not big on paying any 1 individual a ton of money.... unless he plays a KEY position (QB, LT, DE, CB) and is a TOP notch player at THAT position. Players at these positions get paid premium money. They get the franchise tag in almost all cases. You almost always have to draft the elite guys. We hopefully have our "franchise" QB, but we still don't have a franchise OLT, DE, or CB. Barring a trade down.... we may not get one 1 in the 1st round this year.

That is why I saw this as a golden opportunity to get Peppers.

If we wait to draft all of our "impact" players over the next 2-3 years, guys like Calvin may be ready to jump ship to go to a winning team.... or they'll have to overpay them on a long-term deal to get them to stay. That is how teams get into salary cap troubles as well.

#2.... Taking plays off.

As much as Peppers is criticized for taking snaps off, he also doesn't receive much attention for the double teams he faces frequently. Carolina didn't have ANY other lineman that demanded attention last year, and Peppers still got >10 sacks. But we still don't know if KVB can get >10 sacks IF he isn't lined up next to Haynesworth. KVB is a DLE also, so he was up against the slower OTs. Peppers can play both RDE & LDE... which also adds to his value.

#3.... Injury history.

Some may say Peppers has been "lucky" to not have any big injuries so far. I don't buy it. There are often guys who are naturally physically dominant, perhaps more flexible in their joints, and get hurt less.

There are also guys who have to work very hard to bulk up, may be less flexible, and get hurt more. I am one of those guys, and I have to stretch like crazy or I have trouble with muscle strains. My hips/hamstrings are not naturally flexible. Is KVB one of them? He has 2 ACL repairs and a groin pull that cost him 6 games in his pro career.

I respect KVB and he is truly an upgrade.... if he stays on the field.

#4.....

Peppers got what amounts to a 3 year deal that is front loaded in the 1st year... I don't see much risk!!!

There is very little risk with the salary cap in this deal, especially when you consider what you have to pay a pro-bowl caliber RDE.

#5.... The Bears did not make a "desparate" move.

For the reasons mentioned above, Peppers deal is not out of line with the top RDEs in the NFL. Allen, Ware, Freeney, and even Will Smith have comparable deals.

Will Smith had 1 season of >10 sacks in his first 4 seasons, yet he got 6 years at $70 million, $26 mill guaranteed when he signed in 2008.

Peppers got the market price... and nothing more.... and they can walk away from him in 3 years!

March 7th, 2010, 5:09 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Phunny, once again, I understand where you're coming from. But, I'll take Vanden Bosch ($26M), Burleson ($25M), and Williams ($21.5M remaining) for a total of $72.5M over the $79.8M or $91.5M for Peppers any day. Who knows if any of those players will play through their entire contracts, but I like the 3 to 1 odds.

March 7th, 2010, 7:07 pm
RIP Killer

Phunny, once again, I understand where you're coming from. But, I'll take Vanden Bosch ($26M), Burleson ($25M), and Williams ($21.5M remaining) for a total of $72.5M over the $79.8M or $91.5M for Peppers any day. Who knows if any of those players will play through their entire contracts, but I like the 3 to 1 odds.

I agree... the Peppers deal is CRAZY.

March 8th, 2010, 6:47 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Quote:
Here is how the Peppers deal breaks down:

$6.5 million signing bonus
$900,000 base salary
$12.5 million roster bonus
$100,000 workout bonus
$1.5 million incentives

$900,000 base salary
$10.5 million roster bonus
$100,000 workout bonus
$1.5 million incentives

$8.9 million base salary
$100,000 workout bonus
$1.5 million incentives

$12.9 million base salary
$100,000 workout bonus
$1.5 million incentives

$13.9 million base salary
$100,000 workout bonus
$1.5 million incentives

$16.5 million base salary

His cap numbers will be...... $12.6 million in 2011.... and $10.1 million in 2012.... and then the Bears can cut him for only a $3.25 million cap hit if he is not playing at an elite level.

There are only 2 years that the Bears have to worry about the impact of Peppers on the cap. That is nothing.

March 11th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2