View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Whitehurst to Seattle? 
RIP Killer

Post Whitehurst to Seattle?
Ummm... wow?

Quote:
Sources: Whitehurst to Seahawks
EmailPrintComments
retweet3
ESPN.com news services
The San Diego Chargers will trade third-string quarterback Charlie Whitehurst to the Seattle Seahawks for future draft picks, according to multiple sources.

Sando: Seahawks take chance
Charlie Whitehurst had better become more than a backup after the Seahawks paid handsomely for the Chargers' third-string quarterback Wednesday. Blog

The teams will swap second-round draft picks and the Seahawks will give up a third-round pick in 2011. The Seahawks have the 40th choice in the draft and the Chargers had the 60th.

When the deal is complete, the Seahawks plan to sign Whitehurst to a two-year contract worth $8 million with an additional $2 million in incentives, another source said.

Whitehurst, a restricted free agent with third-round compensation, has had only four snaps in the NFL and has not thrown a pass in a regular season game. He signed his one-year restricted tender Wednesday after deciding he preferred to go to Seattle instead of the Arizona Cardinals.

The Chargers have three third-round choices in 2011. They acquired the third-round pick of the Jets in 2011 in exchange for cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

March 17th, 2010, 7:28 pm
RIP Killer

The real question is, will this mean Seattle doesn't take a QB in this draft? I kind of feel that's exactly what it means.
Buffalo for Clausen?

March 17th, 2010, 8:26 pm
Div 1 - Starter

The real question is, will this mean Seattle doesn't take a QB in this draft? I kind of feel that's exactly what it means.
Buffalo for Clausen?

I think you're right on that. Coaches love the guys who've never thrown actual passes. Great potential on the bench.

March 17th, 2010, 8:36 pm
NFL Team Captain

Things like this are why the salaries in the NFL are out of control.

Is this guy the second coming of Joe Montana? His name hasn't been mentioned in a couple of years. What gives with the exspense of the trade and the salary he was given.

Hell, even Harrington had more passes than this guy. I know that is not a good comparison, but hell, maybe Stanton is worth a 1st. j/k

March 17th, 2010, 9:17 pm
RIP Killer

Is this guy the second coming of Joe Montana? His name hasn't been mentioned in a couple of years. What gives with the exspense of the trade and the salary he was given.

Hell, even Harrington had more passes than this guy. I know that is not a good comparison, but hell, maybe Stanton is worth a 1st. j/k

Well now, let's remember that the same was true of Matt Schaub and Jake Delhomme when they went to new teams and got signed to nice contracts.

I'm not saying Whitehurst will be successful, but not every QB who was drafted and hasn't thrown many passes is completely inept. He's done some learning, and from a damn fine QB in Kurt Warner.

March 17th, 2010, 9:22 pm
RIP Killer

jomo269 wrote:

Well now, let's remember that the same was true of Matt Schaub and Jake Delhomme when they went to new teams and got signed to nice contracts.

I'm not saying Whitehurst will be successful, but not every QB who was drafted and hasn't thrown many passes is completely inept. He's done some learning, and from a damn fine QB in Kurt Warner.

But he couldn't beat out Matt Leinart for the #2 spot. That does say something.

March 17th, 2010, 9:47 pm
QB Coach

Whitehurst was on the Chargers before he got traded, not the Cardinals.

I think the Hawks overpaid in compensation to both the Chargers and the Charlie himself.

March 18th, 2010, 12:14 am
RIP Killer

March 18th, 2010, 9:33 am
RIP Killer

Whitehurst was on the Chargers before he got traded, not the Cardinals.

I think the Hawks overpaid in compensation to both the Chargers and the Charlie himself.

Why I said Kurt Warner is beyond me.....I was thinking Philip Rivers. :oops:

March 18th, 2010, 11:31 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

M2K, I'm glad you clarified yourself since you confused the hell out of me with your previous post. I couldn't figure out what Warner had to do with anything. :lol:

As for the trade, this doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Whitehurst has never thrown a pass in an NFL game and yet, the Seahawks gave him up to $10M! Worse yet, they dropped 20 spots in the 2nd round and gave up a 3rd rounder in 2011. Unbelieveable. If Mayhew had done something like this, I would have been pissed.

March 18th, 2010, 1:19 pm
Junior Varsity

I don't know what doesn't make sense in this move. I think it's a very canny move by Carroll and the Seahawks and personally, if we were sitting at #2 this year without Stafford on the roster and with only 'Pep and Stanton I would love this move.

The Seahawks gave up a 3rd rounder next season, moved down 20 spots in the 2nd this season (a year where they have 2 top 15 first roudner btw) and $8-10m over 2 years for a guy who, while not having thrown a pass in a regular season game, has been in the league learning from professional coaches, participating in "voluntary" workouts, OTAs, mini camps, training camps, practices and has actually played in preseason. It's not like they don't have tape on this guy, and tape while running a pro-style offense.

Now let's look at what they would have to potentially give up for an even more unproven guy like Bradford or Claussen. They'd almost certainly have to give up both 1st rounders, or their #6 overall as well as probably a 2nd + a 3rd rounder at minimum... oh yeah, and there's the matter of the contract. Two years at $8-10m is a bargain for a potential starter, and in an uncapped year a reasonable rate for a backup that may end up moving into a starters' role. What would they have to pay a top QB this season based off Stafford's contract last season- $70-80m, $45m guaranteed for 5-7 years whether the guy sucks or not?

Whitehurst won't be getting so much they *have* to make him the starter, but will have the opportunity to compete with Hasslebeck. If he works out, once again... they get a potential starter for a bargain price. If he doesn't? They didn't mortgage their future to get him, may still be able to keep him around as a backup, and still be in position to target guys like Locker in a couple years.

As a Lions fan this is a disappointing move, not the least because it removes a potential suitor for the #2 pick, and one with 2 1st rd picks to give up, no less. But if I were a Seahawks fan? I'd be very, very happy.

March 24th, 2010, 2:10 pm
RIP Killer

I don't know what doesn't make sense in this move. I think it's a very canny move by Carroll and the Seahawks and personally, if we were sitting at #2 this year without Stafford on the roster and with only 'Pep and Stanton I would love this move.

The Seahawks gave up a 3rd rounder next season, moved down 20 spots in the 2nd this season (a year where they have 2 top 15 first roudner btw) and $8-10m over 2 years for a guy who, while not having thrown a pass in a regular season game, has been in the league learning from professional coaches, participating in "voluntary" workouts, OTAs, mini camps, training camps, practices and has actually played in preseason. It's not like they don't have tape on this guy, and tape while running a pro-style offense.

Now let's look at what they would have to potentially give up for an even more unproven guy like Bradford or Claussen. They'd almost certainly have to give up both 1st rounders, or their #6 overall as well as probably a 2nd + a 3rd rounder at minimum... oh yeah, and there's the matter of the contract. Two years at $8-10m is a bargain for a potential starter, and in an uncapped year a reasonable rate for a backup that may end up moving into a starters' role. What would they have to pay a top QB this season based off Stafford's contract last season- $70-80m, $45m guaranteed for 5-7 years whether the guy sucks or not?

Whitehurst won't be getting so much they *have* to make him the starter, but will have the opportunity to compete with Hasslebeck. If he works out, once again... they get a potential starter for a bargain price. If he doesn't? They didn't mortgage their future to get him, may still be able to keep him around as a backup, and still be in position to target guys like Locker in a couple years.

As a Lions fan this is a disappointing move, not the least because it removes a potential suitor for the #2 pick, and one with 2 1st rd picks to give up, no less. But if I were a Seahawks fan? I'd be very, very happy.

It only would be a good move if you truly see Whitehurst as a potential starter. I, for one, do not.

March 24th, 2010, 2:18 pm
Junior Varsity

CalvintheBeast wrote:

It only would be a good move if you truly see Whitehurst as a potential starter. I, for one, do not.

That's fine, your opinion and we'll see how it shakes out over the next two years. I don't believe he'll be a star, but a servicable go-between guy who helps them get from the end of the Hasslebeck regime to the beginning of whatever guy they choose to be their franchise guy in the near future, and they didn't have to mortgage their future on a boom or bust prospect like Bradford or (more likely) Claussen.... and if he works out they get to find out at a bargain price.

March 24th, 2010, 2:36 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
CalvintheBeast wrote:

That's fine, your opinion and we'll see how it shakes out over the next two years. I don't believe he'll be a star, but a servicable go-between guy who helps them get from the end of the Hasslebeck regime to the beginning of whatever guy they choose to be their franchise guy in the near future, and they didn't have to mortgage their future on a boom or bust prospect like Bradford or (more likely) Claussen.... and if he works out they get to find out at a bargain price.

Fair enough. I definitely agree that the Seahawks potentially saved themselves a boat load of money and picks electing to go with Whitehurst as opposed to burning a high pick to get a QB and paying him a fat contract to boot. Doing this, they can use the picks to address other needs. But they only signed Whitehurst for two years. And he's getting paid a pretty good sum of money to merely be a "go between". There are other QBs that could have been had with experience for less money that could have served as a "go between".

March 24th, 2010, 3:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah. This isnt a go Between Move or Pay. GO Between pay is 1.5-3 Million per year as 2nd QB, Less as a 3rd which is what Whitehurst was.

4-5 Million per year for 2 years tells me that they think he can likely grow to be a starter. I Disagree and think they wasted 10 million and picks.

But we won't know for a few seasons. Maybe CW is just a diamond in the rough and only Carroll saw his unproven value.

March 24th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]