View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 5:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Miami Looking to Trade OG Justin Smiley 
RIP Killer

Post Miami Looking to Trade OG Justin Smiley
As reported on Pro Football Talk, the Dolphins are looking for a trade partner for OG Justin Smiley. They have locked him out of their training facility.

So, the question is, should the Lions pursue him? He is a very good player, still young (28), but has had injury issues. Word is that the Dolphins are probably asking for a mid round (3-5) pick for him.

Should the Lions make an offer of their fifth round for him? Or do they take their chances in the draft?

March 22nd, 2010, 12:44 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

I don't know muc h about him, but if we can get a young GOOD starter out of him for a 4th this year or this years 5th w/ a conditional next year...Im all for it!

March 22nd, 2010, 12:47 pm
RIP Killer

Never expected that... not sure on his injuries... but we are in no position NOT to consider it and with the Lions sniffing around like they are they will certainly take a gander.

None of his injures SEEM to be a sign of concern. I don't think I'd go third rounder, but a fifth... lets do a physical!

March 22nd, 2010, 12:59 pm
NFL Team Captain

Steensn, thanks for directing traffic. I didn't even bother to look elsewhere.

I have said all along tha we need to look at everybody that's available.

From what you guys have said, I'd try our 5th or if we have to add a 5th next year. I'd really like to keep our 4th this year, unless he's brought in for a workout and physical and the FO is happy with what they see.
Then the 4th would not hurt as much.

Where did Smiley play college ball?

March 23rd, 2010, 12:02 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

There's no guarantee that this would work, but I'd take this approach: Hold off on trading for Smiley or any other OG until after the draft. If the Lions are able to draft an OG in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round, then no trade. If they fail to get one in the draft, then trade a 2011 pick for Smiley or another OG. There's a chance he could be traded prior to the draft, but I'd be willing to take that chance.

March 23rd, 2010, 12:15 pm
NFL Team Captain

Sly, for the first time I will have to disagree with you.

I think that if we can find a decent/good OG at a low cost we should. He can hold down that spot for 2-3 years we would be able to use our first for picks for DT, CB, DE, and a RB, in no significant order othe than our 1st pick ( gotta be Suh or McCoy).

After Iupati, I think the second best OG would be Mike Johnson. Most mocks I've seen have him as a mid 3rd to early 4th round pick. I think we would be better served to spend a 5th or two, snag Smiley and then use that 3rd rounder fo a DE or RB, having already taken a DT and CB with our first 2 picks.

Hopefully Suh/McCoy and Kyle Wilson or the next best CB.

March 23rd, 2010, 1:13 pm
RIP Killer

Sly, for the first time I will have to disagree with you.

I think that if we can find a decent/good OG at a low cost we should. He can hold down that spot for 2-3 years we would be able to use our first for picks for DT, CB, DE, and a RB, in no significant order othe than our 1st pick ( gotta be Suh or McCoy).

I agree. A bird in the hand.....

jomo269 wrote:
After Iupati, I think the second best OG would be Mike Johnson. Most mocks I've seen have him as a mid 3rd to early 4th round pick. I think we would be better served to spend a 5th or two, snag Smiley and then use that 3rd rounder fo a DE or RB, having already taken a DT and CB with our first 2 picks.

The bolded statement is incorrect. Maurkice Pouncey is the second best interior lineman in this draft. He's a late first, early second rounder who could be taken as high as Cincinnati at #21. I see him realistically going to either Dallas or Indy in the first round. If the Lions have a shot at him with their second round pick, they better take him, particularly if they have signed a guard like Smiley, Sims or Pitts. If Pouncey is there, they'll probably get loads of trade offers. But something tells me he'll be off the board.

After Pouncey, you still have players like Roger Saffold (college tackle who may move to guard in the NFL), Vlad Ducasse, Jon Asamoah and possibly John Jerry, who are rated by some as being better value than Mike Johnson. At the Senior Bowl weigh ins and at the Combines, there were a number of remarks made by scouts and bloggers on how Johnson wasn't very strong looking in the upper body.

You have to remember that quite often a college tackle becomes an NFL guard.

jomo269 wrote:
Hopefully Suh/McCoy and Kyle Wilson or the next best CB.

Wilson is as good as gone. I'd be shocked if he's still there at #34. McCourty might go in the first round as well, but he's the CB I rank behind Wilson. After Devin, Kareem Jackson or Patrick Robinson may be worth that pick, but I'd prefer they trade down a few spots before selecting either one of them.

I

March 23rd, 2010, 2:16 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

This reminds me of Jon Vilma. Young, talented, but injury concerns. Smiley is worth even less though, since Vilma had a pro bowl and Smiley does not.

The Saints got Vilma for a 4th and a conditional draft pick.

Going off that, I'd offer a 5th this year and a conditional draft pick next year based on games started (like a 3rd, 4th, or 5th). Anything more than that? No way.

March 23rd, 2010, 6:18 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

We would still have to draft an OG relatively early becuase of his injury concerns.

March 24th, 2010, 1:02 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

What kind of injury concerns are we talking about?

March 24th, 2010, 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]