View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ravens Sign Redding 
1st Round Pick

Post Ravens Sign Redding
Ravens sign Cory Redding
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 22, 2010 11:51 AM ET
The Baltimore Ravens have reached an agreement with free agent defensive lineman Cory Redding on a two-year contract, the team announced today.

"This will sound a little like a broken record, but Cory is a guy who plays like a Raven," Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome said in the team's statement. "He hustles, he plays with intelligence, and he can play multiple positions like many of our defensive players. He's been a starter at both inside tackle and defensive end. And I am sure our coaches will use him in both positions."

In 2009 Redding was traded from Detroit to Seattle, and with the Seahawks he played in 15 games, starting three and recording two sacks.

Redding started all but three games from the Lions over a five-year period from 2004 to 2008. His best season came in 2006, when he recorded eight sacks.

March 22nd, 2010, 1:33 pm
RIP Killer

March 22nd, 2010, 1:35 pm
RIP Killer

Good for him.

I actually think it will be good for him. I've said since the Lions drafted him that Cory Redding was best suited to be a 34 DE in the NFL. Now he has the chance to play that position. I don't think he'll be a Pro Bowler, but he fills a need for the Ravens and might just turn out to be pretty solid for them.

March 22nd, 2010, 1:47 pm
RIP Killer

I hope he does well, he seemed like a good guy that just couldn't keep it together.

March 22nd, 2010, 3:27 pm
QB Coach

So did Seattle just release him or what? I know he signed a 7 year deal with us in 2007 but some article said he was an unrestricted free agent. (Which he would have been after a release as well but they didn't mention he was cut)

March 22nd, 2010, 6:47 pm
Heisman Winner

I always liked Redding, I hope he does well with the Ravens.

March 22nd, 2010, 11:54 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

So did Seattle just release him or what? I know he signed a 7 year deal with us in 2007 but some article said he was an unrestricted free agent. (Which he would have been after a release as well but they didn't mention he was cut)

Redding re-structured his contract after being traded to Seattle. He took a pay cut last year in exchange for the remainder of his contract being voided. Thereore, he was an UFA.

March 23rd, 2010, 12:01 pm
QB Coach

Thanks Sly, I'd totally forgotten about that, if I even knew in the first place.

March 23rd, 2010, 6:35 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I'm surprised they said he "plays like a Raven". To me playing like a Raven means that you're pretty good and that you don't disappear after getting a fat contract. I know that he was a pretty good locker room guy, which maybe means he's Raven's material, but I was never a huge fan of the guy. I think he was pretty serviceable but once he got paid he's been a non factor.

March 24th, 2010, 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]