View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 1:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Clean Big Ben Thread... 
RIP Killer

Post Clean Big Ben Thread...
Looks like he will get SOME sort of suspension:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5113322

April 19th, 2010, 2:07 pm
Modmin Dude

I think he'll be traded to Arizona, possibly some time this weekend :wink:

April 19th, 2010, 2:09 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

can hope. Sorry for the other thread wags. While my feelings were not motivated by anything other than personal convictions, I can understand wanting to keep the discussion lighter, for the same reasons we avoid Religious/Political Discussions other than a super light joke here and there.

I Think he gets suspended for 4 games + , but stays a Steeler.

I personally believe that a Years Suspension is the minimum appropriate, and would give him time to reflect on, and change his lifestyle if he really cares). THis isnt PEDs , Or DUI, or even Manslaughter... this is directlybut more importantly Intentionally altering the life path of another human being. He got Lucky that the prosecuter decided that they would not win the case, hence deciding not to try. I would hate to see the league let him off so lightly.

April 19th, 2010, 4:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Clean Big Ben Thread...
4-6 games?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614

April 21st, 2010, 10:58 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Just reported on nfl network.

6 games, will be evaluated before he can return to OTA's and decision will be made depending on progress if the suspension is lowered to 4 games or even extended.

April 21st, 2010, 1:22 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Roethlisberger suspended for 6 games by NFL
ESPN.com wrote:
Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, the NFL announced.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback also was ordered to undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation. Commissioner Roger Goodell will evaluate Roethlisberger's progress before the season and might consider reducing the suspension to four games.

Roger Goodell wrote:

In your six years in the NFL, you have first thrilled and now disappointed a great many people. I urge you to take full advantage of this opportunity to get your life and career back on track.

-- Roger Goodell, in letter to Ben Roethlisberger

However, a failure to comply with the NFL's ruling might lead to a longer suspension.

Roethlisberger is barred from attending any Steelers offseason activity after Wednesday until he completes the evaluation. He can participate in training camp and preseason games this summer as long as he is cleared by the evaluators and Goodell.

The Steelers have begun contacting teams to see if they would be willing to trade a top 10 pick for Roethlisberger, an NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

At least one team, and possibly more, have fielded a call from the Steelers and debated the trade internally, the source said.

But any team that trades for Roethlisberger wanted to officially hear how long he was suspended and what the conditions of his suspension would be before dealing for the quarterback.

Sitting out all six games would cost Roethlisberger an estimated $2.8 million.

The Steelers were also ordered to remit a portion of Roethlisberger's salary to the NFL for having two players suspended for violations of the league's personal conduct or drug policies. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes was suspended for four games before being traded to the New York Jets this month.

A second player being suspended requires the offending team to pay the NFL 25 percent of the second player's forfeited salary, with the maximum amount being $200,000.

Last month a 20-year-old college student accused Roethlisberger of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub. Last week, prosecutors decided not to charge Roethlisberger in the case.

"The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline 'even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime' as, for example, where the conduct 'imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person'," Goodell stated in his letter to Roethlisberger.

"As the District Attorney concluded, the extensive investigatory record shows that you contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing (or facilitating the purchase of) alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated. There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk. The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.' By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard."

More excerpts from Goodell's letter to the Steelers quarterback:

• "I recognize that the allegations in Georgia were disputed and that they did not result in criminal charges being filed against you. My decision today is not based on a finding that you violated Georgia law, or on a conclusion that differs from that of the local prosecutor. That said, you are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."

• "Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare."

• "I believe it is essential that you take full advantage of the resources available to you. My ultimate disposition in this matter will be influenced by the extent to which you do so, what you learn as a result, and a demonstrated commitment to making positive change in your life."

• "In your six years in the NFL, you have first thrilled and now disappointed a great many people. I urge you to take full advantage of this opportunity to get your life and career back on track."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614

Serves him right! Goodell is right on the money here!

April 21st, 2010, 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Glad to see everyone is being treated fairly.

On a side note, my dad is planning a jersey burning video on youtube...

April 21st, 2010, 2:48 pm

Gj Goodell.

Can you imagine what him being traded would do to the top of the draft. :/

April 21st, 2010, 3:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

PFT wrote:
Rams don't want Roethlisberger
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010 12:41 PM ET
It's becoming more clear that the Steelers are open to trading Ben Roethlisberger, but we can cross the St. Louis Rams off the list of possible destinations.

Both ESPN's Chris Mortensen and NFL Network's Jason La Canfora both report the Rams don't want Big Ben. La Canfora says the Steelers offered Roethlisberger last week, but the Rams made it clear they aren't interested. All indications are that St. Louis is locked in on Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick in Thursday's draft.

An Adam Schefter report says a top-ten team is interested in Roethlisberger.

The Steelers are unlikely to trade him within the division to Cleveland, so there are only two teams that truly make sense as suitors: Oakland and Buffalo.

Maybe Pittsburgh really is trying to scare Roethlisberger straight.

I could see Buffalo trying to trade for him, especially if Clausen is gone by the 9th overall pick.

April 21st, 2010, 3:49 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Scratch that idea.
PFT wrote:
Bills say no to Roethlisberger too
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010 2:46 PM ET
The Bills have joined the St. Louis Rams in saying no to a possible trade for Ben Roethlisberger, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Steelers have reportedly contacted the Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Seahawks and Browns about Roethlisberger. Other teams may have said no, but it's uncertain what teams.

Most noteworthy on this list: The Steelers would consider trading Roethlisberger inside the division. That seems far-fetched, but the fact the call was made says everything you need to know about how the Steelers feel about Roethlisberger right now.

April 21st, 2010, 4:30 pm
Modmin Dude

I still think he's going to end up here in the Desert :wink:

Now, what does everyone think it will take to get him?

(and NO, I don't want him on my Lions, we already have our QB headbang.gif)

April 21st, 2010, 5:29 pm
RIP Killer

I'm guessing he can be had now for a 2nd or 3rd. Steelers seem to be not putting up with suspensions with Holt and now Ben. Good sign...

April 21st, 2010, 5:32 pm

Steelers already said they expect a top 10 1st rounder. They wont take a 2nd round pick. Its not a Firesale, just a possible trade.

It will be a 1st or multiple picks, but someone will make the move. AZ makes by far the most sense. Ken Whisenhunt, Qb Void, Deep into last 2 Playoffs, etc etc.

April 21st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Raiders trade #8 and Asomugha to the Steelers for Big Ben. The rumor now is the Steelers have gone past taking calls and have started calling teams to see if they are interested in Ben. The Seahawks could also be an option with them having two 1st rounders and Carroll not being above bringing in guys with questionable character traits at USC because they could ball.

April 21st, 2010, 7:16 pm
RIP Killer

Wow, ok so they aren't just trying to throw him around. I think the Steelers are in a good spot with Batch, Leftwich and Dixon. Dixon has had time to sit and learn for a few years and he may be ready to step up. My guess is that he beats out the other two for the starting gig with or without Ben on the team. Maybe the Steelers are banking on that?

April 21st, 2010, 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next