View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Redskins Trade for Rams 2007 1st Round Pick Adam Carriker 
RIP Killer

Post Redskins Trade for Rams 2007 1st Round Pick Adam Carriker
Man... almost seems worth just GIVING them a 7th for him. Maybe it opens up a Haynsworth deal?

Quote:
Redskins trade for Rams' former first-round pick

PRINT EMAIL RSS ADD THIS
5 comments »
Updated Apr 20, 2010 5:39 PM ET
ST. LOUIS (AP)
The Washington Redskins have acquired former first-round pick Adam Carriker from the St. Louis Rams in an extremely low-cost deal that provides an option along the defensive line if Albert Haynesworth is traded.

The Redskins got a great price Tuesday for the 13th overall pick in 2007. They swapped fifth-round picks with the Rams, moving down 28 spots in that round, but in a swap of seventh-rounders Washington actually moved up three spots.

"Adam is a guy who our staff is very familiar with," Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said. "He is talented and has an incredible work ethic. We feel he will fit in our scheme and will help us reach our defensive goals."

Carriker's career has been dogged by injuries. He spent last season on injured reserve with a shoulder injury.

Carriker could be the contingency plan if the Redskins are able to trade Haynesworth, who has displeased Shanahan by staying away from offseason workouts and a minicamp. Haynesworth is also unhappy about Washington's switch to a 3-4 defense.

Rams general manager Billy Devaney said the team had enough depth at the position to make the deal, and said the draft class was loaded with "whopper" defensive tackles who could be had as late as the fourth round. The Rams are expected to re-sign backup Gary Gibson to augment a group headed by Clifton Ryan, Fred Robbins and Darell Scott.

Carriker will be reunited with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, a former Rams head coach. Devaney said the Redskins have been trying to trade for Carriker for a while.

"The signings we've made the past couple of weeks we thought, you know what, this might be the right time to do it," Devaney said. "Right now it seems like we've got a little bit of depth. I hope we do."

Carriker was a 300-pound defensive end at Nebraska, where he was Big 12 defensive player of the year as a senior. He played tackle in a 4-3 alignment with St. Louis.

"He's never complained and we used him in multiple positions," Devaney said. "He did the best he could, but it hasn't been a great scheme for him."

April 20th, 2010, 7:19 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Redskins Trade for Rams 2007 1st Round Pick Adam Carrike
I would have brought him in at that price - what a steal.

STL staff must have hated him.

April 20th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

What does this mean from a Draft point of view? Does this mean that the Rams are ditching the plans of taking Bradford at #1 and are planning on taking a QB at #33 instead? Could they take Suh at #1 and Colt McCoy at #33? If that's the case what happens to the Lions at 2? I say trade down. I don't know if Gerald McCoy is the kind of guy that we add to a decent list of DT's on the roster at this point.

April 21st, 2010, 12:12 pm
NFL Team Captain

Wayne Fontes wrote:
What does this mean from a Draft point of view? Does this mean that the Rams are ditching the plans of taking Bradford at #1 and are planning on taking a QB at #33 instead? Could they take Suh at #1 and Colt McCoy at #33? If that's the case what happens to the Lions at 2? I say trade down. I don't know if Gerald McCoy is the kind of guy that we add to a decent list of DT's on the roster at this point.

Bite your tongue!!!!!

I know we would gain our trade leverage back, but I'd be disappointed to pass on Suh. It sure would be nice to add the top ranked player to our team.

April 21st, 2010, 12:39 pm
RIP Killer

If we stay put I would be just as happy with McCoy as with Suh. I think McCoy has a higher sealing than Suh. (And Suh has those nasty surgeries that make me questions his health ;) )

But I still would like to trade down and pic up some other early pics this year. I think that St Louis could be thinking McCoy would drop to them, but I have no idea why anyone thinks Colt McCoy will fall that far. I think there are some underrated QB's like Dan LeFevour from Central Michigan that could be even taken as high as Minnesota. Maybe they are banking that no on else values him as much. I think if LeFevour would have thrown at the combine that he might have helped himself out and maybe moved into the 3rd best QB spot. I wanted to put LeFevour in my mock, but shy'd away thinking Tebow's clout might push him into the first giving him a year to learn under Farve (another unconventional QB).

April 21st, 2010, 12:49 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I know that some people are freaking out that the Rams will draft Suh now, but I just don't see it. They've been trying to trade Carriker for awhile now, and I don't think it will impact their draft plans. Atleast, I hope it doesn't.

April 21st, 2010, 3:52 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Hmm, I woudl have gladly given them the picks we spent on Corey Williams/Shaun Hill to get Carriker. Just more reasons why I didn't like those moves.

April 21st, 2010, 4:04 pm
Varsity Captain

I saw this yesterday but it seemed to happen later on in the day and wasnt sure if it went threw.

Im not sure what Carriker had left in terms of contract but the Rams had spent alot of money and high picks on Dline that I think my Lions fans would have made them unwilling to draft Suh. While I still dont think that the Rams will draft Suh, not having Bradford signed is a bit worrisome. Also Williams x2 and Rogers didnt stop the Lions from drafting CJ who was BPA.

Say that the Rams do take Suh, what do you think the Lions will do? For me they have to trade out and should be able to find a partner with Bradford there. If they dont, Im not sure what they do. I like McCoy but after all this time thinking Suh was ours I dont think my heart can belong to another DT in the first round. Berry would be probably the BPA at that point but I dont know if hes worth it at 2.

April 21st, 2010, 4:09 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

If the Rams take Suh the Lions have a whole hell of a lot more leverage. They could try to get TB to bite because they want McCoy. They could get Washington to bite because they might want Bradford or Okung, they could get Cleveland to bite for a shot at Bradford. I don't want to miss out on Suh, but until the words "With the first pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select Sam Bradford" are uttered, I won't be able to relax.

The Rams D-Line is horrendous:
Adeyanju, Victor LDE
Ah You, C.J. LDE
Wyche, James LDE
Douzable, Leger LDT
Bradwell, Chris LDT
Gibson, Gary LDT
Robbins, Fred LDT
Hall, James RDE
Long, Chris RDE
Conover, Sean RDE
Ryan, Clifton RDT
Scott, Darell RDT

They have Lion's castoffs... They need a lot of help man, thats why I think they are seriously considering Suh.

April 21st, 2010, 6:14 pm
RIP Killer

I'm sure they are seriously considering Suh... I think though they are in the same boat as we were last year. It's all about the $$$

April 21st, 2010, 6:28 pm
steensn wrote:
I'm sure they are seriously considering Suh... I think though they are in the same boat as we were last year. It's all about the $$$

They would be silly to not consider drafting the best player in the draft at#1 overall...

April 21st, 2010, 8:18 pm
RIP Killer

I'm sure they considered Suh as much or even a little more than we did Curry. I think the final call means you need to spend your money wisely if that is a need... which qb is a need.

April 21st, 2010, 8:23 pm
RIP Killer

It's about value, IMO...which is why a DT hasn't gone #1 overall since Big Dady, who was a huge bust for Cincy.

April 21st, 2010, 9:18 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
If we stay put I would be just as happy with McCoy as with Suh. I think McCoy has a higher sealing than Suh. (And Suh has those nasty surgeries that make me questions his health ;) )

I don't understand this type of thinking at all. The injuries were years ago and he has played very well since.

As for the upside (sealing?) that really makes no sense. Suh didn't even start playing football till 10th grade and has been dramatically improving year over year at a much more rapid rate that McCoy. All of his measureables are better and his production was much better against the same competition (they both play in the Big 12).

I always hear about McCoy's ability to penetrate, but watching the Big 12 games this year (and I live in Big 12 country), Suh seems to spend a lot more time in the backfield than McCoy does and certainly gets to the QB a hell of a lot more.

McCoy is OK, but Suh is dominant. If the Rams take Suh, I hope the Lions pass on McCoy in favor of Okung or Berry.

April 22nd, 2010, 12:12 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Injury comment was just for fun...
But mccoy is rated higher on some boards for a reason.

April 22nd, 2010, 12:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next