View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 3:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Sheppard signs with the vikings. 
1st Round Pick

Post Sheppard signs with the vikings.
Lito shuffles to Minnesota
Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2010 6:47 PM ET
A day after the Vikings learned that they'll be facing the Saints and quarterback Drew Brees to open the season, the NFC runners-up beefed up their defensive secondary.

According to a league source, veteran cornerback Lito Sheppard has agreed to a one-year, $2 million contract.

Sheppard visited the Vikings today, after several weeks on the free-agent market.

He immediately solidifies a cornerback depth chart that features an aging Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin, who suffered a torn ACL in the NFC Championship Game.

I was hoping he might still be available after the draft and we could have singed him cheap. oh well

April 21st, 2010, 7:19 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Sheppard signs with the vikings.
Bummer... maybe. It may allow them to pass on a corner and slip a great corner back to us. I think it opens them to get a QB as well now that their CB situation is more settled. If we were interested we would have offered as he came through here first.

April 21st, 2010, 7:27 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Did they even offer? I thought they would have given him a shot if they thought he could play. He didn't get picked up right away so it has to speak about what most teams think about him. I would have liked to bring him in just so they wouldn't have to start a rookie at CB this year. I thought he'd last until after the draft, oh well.

April 21st, 2010, 7:31 pm
Junior Varsity

Wonder if Mayhew was thinking he would last until after the draft too.

Still, I also hope this makes the Vikes less inclined to draft a CB in the 1st and maybe someone slips all the way down to #34 for us.

April 21st, 2010, 7:36 pm
RIP Killer

I think that nothing about sheppard made him a must get before the draft for the lions. We are in need of more than just a guy to plug a hole for a year so we can make a superbowl run. That is all sheppard is at this point and minny needed that. It allows them to maybe take a qb with 28

April 21st, 2010, 7:54 pm
RIP Killer

It SHOULD NOT change anything for Minny. This is a team that was 19th against the pass and 2nd against the run.

Clearly the weakspot of their team. They only have Griffin (solid, but nothing special) and Winfield (definitely starting to show his age). Plain and simple, they must draft a CB. Sheppard is old and declining, just like Winfield. They brought in Sheppard because he's got a ton of experience, can be a good mentor, and is still a stop-gap player. They need to look for the future.

April 21st, 2010, 9:12 pm
RIP Killer

It will if they value a qb for the future.

April 21st, 2010, 9:15 pm
RIP Killer

They have enough picks they can trade up. Plus, they can get a CB in the 2nd, where there's better value. I think Wilson and Jackson will both be gone by the Vikes pick anyway.

Don't think it changes anything.

April 21st, 2010, 9:19 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I don't think this makes a difference for Minny. They might be a little less inclined to take a CB in the first now but it'll depend on who's available. They're not going to trade up for a QB but I could see them taking Clausen if he falls that far (doubtful I know but you know you've seen it mocked) or even Tebow if available. Yes I said Tebow, Minny makes surprise choices sometimes. Harvin was a bit on the curious side at the time and it could even be said that AP was as well considering his up and down draft status.

April 21st, 2010, 10:09 pm
RIP Killer

Sheppard believes he will START! Wonder if Minny thinks the same?
Quote:
Sheppard thinks he's starting in Minnesota
April, 22, 2010
APR 22
4:31
PM ET
Email Print Share
By Kevin Seifert
A couple of interesting nuggets from cornerback Lito Sheppard's conference call with Minnesota reporters, one day after he signed a one-year contract with the Vikings:
Sheppard said all four NFC North teams expressed interest in him. We know he visited Detroit, and it's understandable why Green Bay and Chicago might have checked him out as well. The Packers might not have starter Al Harris (knee) to start the season, and the Bears' depth behind starters Charles Tillman and Zack Bowman is questionable even after signing veteran Tim Jennings.
What swayed him the most, Sheppard said, was the opportunity to start in Minnesota. "I definitely wanted to go in and start," Sheppard said, "and given the situation and predicament I should have that opportunity." That can only mean the Vikings made clear to him that starter Cedric Griffin, who tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the NFC Championship Game, won't be ready to start the season. Antoine Winfield is expected to start at the Vikings' other cornerback position.

April 22nd, 2010, 4:48 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
They have enough picks they can trade up. Plus, they can get a CB in the 2nd, where there's better value. I think Wilson and Jackson will both be gone by the Vikes pick anyway.

Don't think it changes anything.

ding ding ding.

The pick - Kyle Wilson. Didn't change anything.

April 22nd, 2010, 10:39 pm
RIP Killer

Huh? They didn't even pick the first round.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:06 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Huh? They didn't even pick the first round.

lol, sorry. I was thinking the Jets. I figured the Jets would take a CB in the first, even though they got Cromartie.

April 23rd, 2010, 1:56 pm
RIP Killer

Lol..

April 23rd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]