View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Chris Johnson a no-show for first practice! 
NFL Team Captain

Post Chris Johnson a no-show for first practice!
Hmmm. I think Chris Johnson should be thankful somebody drafted him and has given him a chance to play in the NFL. Do the right thing play out your contract and give them no choice but to pay you on the next contract.

These guys kill me!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

April 27th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Chris Johnson a no-show for first practice!
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Hmmm. I think Chris Johnson should be thankful somebody drafted him and has given him a chance to play in the NFL. Do the right thing play out your contract and give them no choice but to pay you on the next contract.

These guys kill me!

But what about when the team puts the franchise tag on you and you are now stuck with that team for a year. Sure you get one year of top dollar pay but who knows what could happen during that year.

I know this is a game and all but you really have to understand that this is their livelyhood and they expect to be paid what they and their team deems to be a fair wage. Right now Chris Johnson doesn't feel that the wage is fair, cut him some slack.

April 28th, 2010, 11:08 am
RIP Killer

I can understand asking for more money, because he has proven himself... but seriously... NOT top offensive money.

April 28th, 2010, 11:17 am
RIP Killer

If you're the best at your job, wouldn't you demand more salary?

I've done it in my current job, twice. I've learned, that if you don't ask, you don't get.

I used to hate it when athletes did this kind of stuff, but seriously, Johnson is one of 6 (count them, SIX) guys to run for over 2000 yards. He's making peanuts compared to other RBs that account for less than half the offense he does. Should he be pissed? Yes. Should his anger be towards the CBA and the Players Union for agreeing on those terms? Yes. It's the players fault the newbies got shafted and are capped out, even if they are the best in their field.

April 28th, 2010, 11:37 am
Walk On

This isn't TO asking for a raise a year after signing a huge contract because someone else got paid more. This is a player playing the best in his position getting paid a very small fraction of what other player contributing less are getting paid.

There needs to be balance. You sign a contract you should be expected to honor it. But since the contracts themselves do nothing to protect the player, a team should be expected to pay players for their performance on the field. Johnson has already out performed his contract. He shouldn't be forced to continue to out perform that contract when there are other teams out there that are willing to pay him market rate for him.

April 28th, 2010, 12:40 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I can understand Johnson wanting more money and he deserves it IMO, but he's kinda screwed. Since this is an uncapped year, the 30% rule is in place for all existing contracts. This means that he can't receive more than a 30% raise from year to year. I suppose the Titans could get creative with option bonuses, incentives, and other gimmicks, but I'm not exactly sure how much the NFL would allow in trying to skirt the rules.

April 28th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

slybri19 wrote:
I can understand Johnson wanting more money and he deserves it IMO, but he's kinda screwed. Since this is an uncapped year, the 30% rule is in place for all existing contracts. This means that he can't receive more than a 30% raise from year to year. I suppose the Titans could get creative with option bonuses, incentives, and other gimmicks, but I'm not exactly sure how much the NFL would allow in trying to skirt the rules.

Exactly. I think this is what is holding him back more than anything else. Even if Tennessee wanted to pay him top money they can't. He needs to suck it up one more year and then expect to get paid once a new CBA is in place.

April 28th, 2010, 1:42 pm
RIP Killer

That is why he should be b!tching at the players union for screwing him and other players under rookie deals (see Ray Edwards). It's their own fault.

April 28th, 2010, 3:11 pm
NFL Team Captain

Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:

These guys kill me!

But what about when the team puts the franchise tag on you and you are now stuck with that team for a year. Sure you get one year of top dollar pay but who knows what could happen during that year.

I know this is a game and all but you really have to understand that this is their livelyhood and they expect to be paid what they and their team deems to be a fair wage. Right now Chris Johnson doesn't feel that the wage is fair, cut him some slack.

Dude. It's the NFL it's a privelage not a right! I look at this way, the guy got drafted because of his combine 40 time. He wasn't even on the radar until that 40 time.

He signed a contract to play @ 12million for 5 years. I gaurantee you that he was doing back flips for that contract.

Now he was pretty good his rookie season and outstanding last year. No doubt, absolutely outstanding. Keep it up! Prove your worth more than 12 million or fire your agent! He was happy when he signed the contract. Get your aZZ to work and be thankful you have a job that pays you 2.4 million annually plus bonuses.

Perfect example: Jamal Lewis - Ran for 2000 yards and then completely sucked it up after that. Prove your worth more with consistancy.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that he's paid to run the football and he's expected to a damn good job at it. The Titans didn't give him a contract and ask him to do an average job! They laid 12 million out on the line to take that chance that he would be spectacular. Everyone takes risks. The Titans. Chris Johnson. everyone.

I don't feel sorry for him. Do I want him to get paid, yes!!! Absolutely if he continues to produce at a high level when it's time to get that new contract - ask for the farm baby! Prove your worth it and not a one year wonder ala Jamal Lewis!

April 28th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:

You are right about the 30% rule. You are also wrong about it.

You are right, if they just renegotiate the current contract.

But, where you are wrong, is:

They can get around the 30% rule by ripping up the current contract and negotiating "A COMPLETELY NEW DEAL." I have mentioned this to you several times in the past. But, you apparently don't believe me. Well, fine, don't believe me. But, you might believe Pat Kirwan. He is my source on this.

April 29th, 2010, 11:09 am
Hall of Fame Player

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:

These guys kill me!

Dude. It's the NFL it's a privelage not a right! I look at this way, the guy got drafted because of his combine 40 time. He wasn't even on the radar until that 40 time.

He signed a contract to play @ 12million for 5 years. I gaurantee you that he was doing back flips for that contract.

Now he was pretty good his rookie season and outstanding last year. No doubt, absolutely outstanding. Keep it up! Prove your worth more than 12 million or fire your agent! He was happy when he signed the contract. Get your aZZ to work and be thankful you have a job that pays you 2.4 million annually plus bonuses.

Perfect example: Jamal Lewis - Ran for 2000 yards and then completely sucked it up after that. Prove your worth more with consistancy.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that he's paid to run the football and he's expected to a damn good job at it. The Titans didn't give him a contract and ask him to do an average job! They laid 12 million out on the line to take that chance that he would be spectacular. Everyone takes risks. The Titans. Chris Johnson. everyone.

I don't feel sorry for him. Do I want him to get paid, yes!!! Absolutely if he continues to produce at a high level when it's time to get that new contract - ask for the farm baby! Prove your worth it and not a one year wonder ala Jamal Lewis!

I usually take managements side in this type of thing. But, RB's have the shortest careers of any position group because of the beatings they take on a weekly basis. When a RB out performs his contract, he should be able to negotiate a new contract to adequately compensate him. Most RB's are beaten to a pulp by the time they have 6 years in the League. If they sign a 4 year rookie contract for relatively cheap money, that leaves them only 2 years to try to earn BIG money to last them the rest of their lives. 1 play can ruin them for life and destroy their income potential.

The Titans need to quit playing the donkey and pay the man.

April 29th, 2010, 11:17 am
Heisman Winner

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:

These guys kill me!

It may be a privelage to play in the NFL but Johnson has the right sit out and forfeit the money if he doesn't find it to be a fair deal. Which goes right along with your agrument. He is contracted to play football for the Titans and no other team the contract does not hold him hostage to make him play.

April 29th, 2010, 11:18 am
RIP Killer

Sad thing is, no one complains when a contractor for company leaves for a better contract at another company. There are no rules against that, so why do it to NFL players (obviously there is REALLY god reason to). But that should at least make the point that the NFL players don't even have the freedoms we do to change "companies" and get themselves in a better position if they don't like their current situation. This is why I think rookie contracts should be 3 years max and capped. It allows for those stars like CJ to get a better contract early enough in their career so they get paid for their level of work they do and teams don't get roped into retarded contracts that destroy franchises for players earning way more than what they are worth.

April 29th, 2010, 11:23 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Hey Billy, there's one MAJOR problem with Pat Kirwan's theory. Since Chris Johnson has been in the league fewer than four seasons, ripping up his contract would subject him to waivers. I think every team in the NFL would put a claim in on him. Ask Pat about that little technicality.

April 29th, 2010, 1:06 pm
Walk On

slybri19 wrote:
Hey Billy, there's one MAJOR problem with Pat Kirwan's theory. Since Chris Johnson has been in the league fewer than four seasons, ripping up his contract would subject him to waivers. I think every team in the NFL would put a claim in on him. Ask Pat about that little technicality.

We are second in line and would still lose.

May 6th, 2010, 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]