View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 8:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Raiders to Release Russell 
RIP Killer

Post Raiders to Release Russell
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5141392
Quote:
The Oakland Raiders are preparing to release quarterback JaMarcus Russell but have to await the final word from owner Al Davis before they can do so, according to sources.

Russell is on the books for $9.45 million this season, including $3 million in guaranteed money. Since trading for former Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell on Saturday, the Raiders have studied Russell's contract and tried to figure out ways to release him to save the organization some money.

JaMarcus Russell has been paid more than $5 million per win, more than $2 million per touchdown pass and more than $100,000 per completion.
If he gets the $3 million (and sources expect that he will), Russell will have been paid $39 million since going to the team as a first-round pick in 2007.

The Raiders showed their confidence in Campbell by extending his contract through 2011, giving him a $4.5 million deal that season on top of the $3.14 million he is owed this season.

The Raiders have a minicamp Friday and it's possible Russell could be released before then. If Davis doesn't give the go-ahead to release him before Friday, Russell might attend the minicamp, but the team might not let him practice, fearing that he would suffer an injury and leave the team liable for the entire $9.45 million in salary.

Russell, who will turn 25 in August, has won only seven of his 25 starts as the Raiders extended an NFL-worst streak to seven straight seasons with at least 11 losses in 2009. He has completed just 52.1 percent of his passes in his career with 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, 15 lost fumbles and a passer rating of 65.2.

That means Russell has been paid more than $5 million per win, more than $2 million per touchdown pass and more than $100,000 per completion.

Russell's tenure in Oakland got off to a rough start and never got much better. He held out in his first season, and did not sign a contract until after the first game of the regular season. That made his rookie season almost a complete loss, as he started only one game.

He showed some signs of progress in his second season, especially in winning the final two games of the year against Houston and Tampa Bay.

But the problems with his work ethic and weight never disappeared, and his third season was an utter disaster. He was fined for being overweight when he showed up at training camp. He then put together one of the worst seasons in recent memory for an NFL quarterback. He completed 48.8 percent of his passes, with three touchdowns, 11 interceptions and a 50.0 passer rating that was the lowest since Ryan Leaf, Bobby Hoying and Craig Whelihan all finished below 50 in 1998.

April 28th, 2010, 2:00 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Raiders to Release Russell
It's about time.

Hey Pablo, remember when you thought this turd was rightfully drafted #1 overall? Hope the wife is making crow for dinner tonight! LOL. Sorry, couldn't live that down.

On an equally bad note - I wanted Matt Leinart the year we drafted Ernie Sims one spot ahead of Leinart. I also said Jay Cutler would never be better than average and he's a Pro Bowler.

April 28th, 2010, 3:14 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
It's about time.

Hey Pablo, remember when you thought this turd was rightfully drafted #1 overall? Hope the wife is making crow for dinner tonight! LOL. Sorry, couldn't live that down.

On an equally bad note - I wanted Matt Leinart the year we drafted Ernie Sims one spot ahead of Leinart. I also said Jay Cutler would never be better than average and he's a Pro Bowler.

I do remember, the crow is marinating right now. I also said the Lions should use every pick on a QB until they found one. For now, they can hold off...

Makes the Joey pick look not so bad now... \:D/

I wanted Leinart over Sims as well who I had a 2nd round grade on and couldn't believe was going in the top 10 - ugh!

April 28th, 2010, 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Not so fast:
PFT wrote:
Even the Raiders don't know what the Raiders will do
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 29, 2010 9:42 AM ET
There are a few theories as to what's going on in Oakland.

(1) The Raiders and JaMarcus Russell are playing a high stakes game of chicken.

(2) The Raiders want to get Russell to take a pay cut.

(3) No one really has any idea what's going on, including Raiders employees, with the exception of Al Davis.

This sensible third option was presented by Nancy Gay of AOL Fanhouse, with the help of two Raiders team sources. "Things change by the minute here," one Raiders source said.

"Don't know anymore," another one told her, when asked about Russell's status.

If people inside the building don't know jack, we can't really know, either. But Gay wisely points out how hard it would be for Davis to dump his top pick by reprinting a section of Davis' infamous letter to Lane Kiffin two years ago:

"I do realize that you did not want us to draft JaMarcus Russell," Davis wrote. "He is a great player. Get over it and coach this team on the field, that is what you were hired to do. We can win with this team!"

Typical Al Davis. Nobody ever knows what that senile old man will do next.

April 29th, 2010, 1:09 pm
QB Coach

Maybe the Raiders are gonna move him to kicker? He was a first round pick and is about 300 pounds so he'd fit right in with what they want at the position.

April 29th, 2010, 10:30 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- A judge sent the drug possession case against former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell to a grand jury Wednesday despite testimony that the codeine drink found at Russell's home belonged to a longtime friend.

District Judge Charles McKnight questioned the credibility of the testimony given by Marcus Stevenson, who said he made the codeine-laced drink found in a July 5 raid at Russell's home.

Mobile County Sheriff's Deputy Johnny Thornton testified the orange-colored drink in Russell's bedroom appeared freshly poured. Investigators said Russell, who was in the bedroom, told them it was his Kool-Aid. Thornton said it later tested positive for codeine.

Thonton also said there nine people in the house and a codeine bottle without a prescription was found in a cabinet.

Russell's attorney, Donald Briskman, said in an interview with The Associated Press after the hearing that the codeine bottle was in a cabinet at a distance from Russell's bedroom. He said Stevenson told an officer at the home that it belonged to him, not Russell, but they took no action against Stevenson.

"They didn't arrest him at the scene. They targeted JaMarcus. ... He should have been discharged today," Briskman said.

Stevenson testified at the hearing that he mixed the drink and didn't make it for Russell. After the hearing, Stevenson was handcuffed and charged with possession of a controlled substance. He was released on bond.

Stevenson's attorney, Greg Evans, raised objections to the questioning of his client, citing his rights against self-incrimination. He later said Stevenson "was sworn to tell the truth and that is what he did."

Russell was a Mobile prep star and at LSU and became the No. 1 draft choice in 2007 but was released by Oakland this year after three disappointing seasons.

It could be months before the grand jury decides if the evidence warrants an indictment or not.

He did an interview with ESPN saying the drugs he all used. You can see the full interview Sunday on Outside The Lines at 9am.

To me, he is screwed, he is going no where and no team is going to take him.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

August 13th, 2010, 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]