View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 8:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Favre needs surgery to play 
Junior Varsity

Post Favre needs surgery to play
I could post this in the "goings on around the league" but figured it had enough of a Lions impact to discuss it in the jungle.

Quote:
Favre needs surgery to play, QB says

By Ed Werder
ESPN

Brett Favre has been informed he requires surgery on his left ankle to play the upcoming season for the Minnesota Vikings, and the quarterback is deliberating whether to have the procedure or simply to end his 19-year NFL career by retiring.

This decision would be easy if not for my teammates and the fans and the entire Vikings staff. One year truly felt like 10 -- much like Green Bay for many years. That's what I was missing in my heart I suppose, a sense of belonging.
” -- Brett Favre in an e-mail to ESPN

Favre, who would turn 41 during the 2010 season, told ESPN the ankle injury that he suffered three months ago in the NFC Championship Game against the New Orleans Saints continues to be swollen and painful.

That prompted tests to determine why healing had not occurred and Favre sent the results of those scans to orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who told the quarterback his opinion that surgery is unavoidable.

"We have spoken,'' Favre said in an e-mail. "To play again, I would need the surgery, as I suspected. This decision would be easy if not for my teammates and the fans and the entire Vikings staff. One year truly felt like 10 -- much like Green Bay for many years. That's what I was missing in my heart I suppose, a sense of belonging.''

Favre said he must determine whether his affection for the Vikings and his belief they are capable of winning the Super Bowl overrides his disdain for surgery.

Favre would not reveal the exact diagnosis or the prognosis on how long it would take to recover from the surgery.

While it previously seemed Favre was almost certain to return to the Vikings, his comments Friday reveal a player who appears to be seriously conflicted.

Favre was in a similar position last offseason, when Andrews repaired a partially torn biceps tendon in his throwing shoulder.

Favre eventually decided to play, missing all of training camp before signing a two-year contract with the Vikings worth $25 million.

Favre had the best statistical season of his career and advanced the Vikings to the NFC Championship Game in the Superdome, where he was brutalized by the Saints defense. His final pass of the season was intercepted with the Vikings in scoring position and seemingly poised to win the game.

Instead, Favre's pass for Sidney Rice was intercepted in the final minutes, and the Vikings were defeated in overtime without Favre touching the football.

Favre appeared emotionally devastated after the loss and said it was highly unlikely he would play again. Now his future remains very much in doubt once more.

Self-absorbed DIVA! I am so tired of his waffling game. Obviously I would rather he retires but this is just so stupid at this point. If he knew he needed surgery, how soon did he know it? Why the hell didn't he get it done asap to at least get it out of the way and then at this point he can decide if he really wants to play as well as knowing how is ankle is doing. What a tool!

If anyone has seen the movie "Blades of Glory" it reminds me where Will Ferrel is the wizard in the ice show and he is always drunk. The producer of the show says "I would fire your arse if you were not so damn beautiful out there on the ice"

Thats what it reminds me of Childress "Favre, do whatever you want, cause your the boss and our season hinges on me being nice to you and appeasing you to your every whim."

Is it just me or does Childress seem pathetic in this situation?

www.restoretheroar.webs.com

April 30th, 2010, 11:46 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Favre needs surgery to play
I moved this because Favre is on another team, even though the Lions do play him twice a year.

April 30th, 2010, 11:52 am
Junior Varsity

No Prob!

April 30th, 2010, 11:57 am
RIP Killer

I just don't get everyones anger. He and Childress both know that he doesn't want to go through training camp, he doesn't need to, he's simply too old to go through that and a whole season. He isn't waffling, he's doing what he needed to do every year since it became obvious he couldn't stay retired to still play the game but not kick his butt in preseason BS. This is just some reporter again getting info because no matter what anyone here says, they WANT to know what is going on. IF we didn't want to know, reporters wouldn't ask, and we would see him in an ugly purple jersey at Minnesota's first game. He's going to make another SB run.

Childress and Farve understand the situation and are PLAYING US to make sure that Childress can bust the young kids balls in camp without being hypocritical by letting Farve slide. Farve has EARNED his no training camp status no matter how bad people want to hate him for it. It works for him, he is still playing at a top level. Get over it.

April 30th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Junior Varsity

Fair enough. My anger is by my thinking about how I would feel if he was doing this to my team.

The fans don't give two squirts because they think he deserves the time to make his decision.

And any vikes fan I talk to "knows without a doubt" he will play so they don't care.

I equate it to barry sanders quiting the way he did. Millions of dollars are in question here. The NFL is a business and the Vikings (to me) are showing how pathetic they are as an administration, and how pathetic Childress is for bending over to a qb and letting him do whatever he wants.

It reminds me of a wrestler in my high school that was nationally ranked and a 2 time state champion and was a concussion away from 3 titles. He ended up getting a full ride to CMU to wrestle and pissed it away cause he was too interested in weed and prescription drugs. Our coaches let him get away with it in high school because he was too good (in 3 sports) to raise a stink about it. In college he wasn't getting by on talent alone, when he actually needed to step up he didn't, he would rather have never gave it an honest effort then to try and fail something he had so easily previous.

He is now dead from his eventual prescription drug addiction. Had things been different if our school took a hard stance against his issues WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL? Everyone knew about it, why didn't anyone do anything about it? Because his influence in sports was more important about his development as a person.

THATS WHY IT PISSES ME OFF when i see special treatment for people who think they deserve it. He is a waffling piece of garbage that puts himself above a franchise because he thinks he deserves it. Its is childress and the vikings enabling him to allow him to do this that ticks me off further. If you love the game so much it wouldn't be this difficult of a decision.

April 30th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Junior Varsity

Childress is in "save my arse" mode and is selling his self-respect while doing it.

HE IS PATHETIC.

April 30th, 2010, 12:19 pm
RIP Killer

I don't think this is special treatment for someone who thinks he deserves it... it is special treatment for someone who has EARNED it. It is the same reason he didn't sign earlier with the Vikings. He is simply too old to do the offseason program, camp, full season, and post season... but he is good enough to play the full season and post season at a top 10 QB level minimum. That makes him worth the special situation. If I was a Vikings fan, I wouldn't be worried.

April 30th, 2010, 12:21 pm
RIP Killer

He could do this kind of crap if he wasn't under contract, but he is. He could do to the Vikes what Barry did to the Lions (but have a worse affect).

I'm sick of Favre. Just go away already.

April 30th, 2010, 12:41 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am fine with him skipping training camp every year. THat doesnt take away from him being an attention whoring primadonna jerkoff. In he past 3 offseasons I have lost any respect he had earned over the past 15. If he had come to the Lions and played this game, and the coaching staff/FO allowed it, I would no longer be a Lions fan... thats how much it bothers me.

I can't wait to watch him throw away this entire season at the end again, and finally leave the game with his tail between his legs. His legacy will always be ans an attention whoring primadonna, but at least he got paid, right.

April 30th, 2010, 1:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Walk On

I hope this come back to bite the Vikes on the rectum. They had the opportunity to trade for McNabb, who's just as capable as Favre and will be around much longer and knows the Viking offense sense Philly has ran it sense he was drafted there. They didn't even pick a successor in the draft to eventually replace him. I mean they had the dream scenario when Clausen dropped all the way to the second round into there hands. Favre and Childress' man crush on him is holding this whole franchise hostage to Brett Favre's bullcrap. They do realize they have a perfectly good team who almost made the playoff's under Ferrotte and tarvaris' guidess before Favre showed up. I mean i'm not taking anything away from Favre, I just think the Vikes are tipping toeing around Favre's sensitive feelings. They're doing everything not to hurt Brett's feelings or sway his decision to return, while the rest of the franchise keeps they're fingers crossed.

Last edited by Mufasa on April 30th, 2010, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2010, 6:57 pm
RIP Killer

I just don't get the hate... he hasn't even really done anything bad that anyone should worry themselves about. I'm baffled every time...

April 30th, 2010, 7:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

No hate. Just No Respect either. He earned respect by being THE MAN for like 15 years. Then he turned into THE ATTENTION WHORE for the last 3 and lost it all. It is not complicated.

April 30th, 2010, 7:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

I just don't get how he is an attention whore. He's not the one stationing reporters outside his home to track when he gets on an airplane just to see if he is visiting a team...

April 30th, 2010, 7:33 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I just don't get how he is an attention whore. He's not the one stationing reporters outside his home to track when he gets on an airplane just to see if he is visiting a team...

He did call the news to have them tape him playing around with some high school kids.

He is an attention whore and he likes the pub.

April 30th, 2010, 10:16 pm
RIP Killer

Sounds like just some fun to me...

May 1st, 2010, 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next