View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Favre needs surgery to play 
Post Re: Favre needs surgery to play
Did Brett drum up some publicity to drive up his price? Sure... But that said, IMO the majority of this crap is media created, not Brett Favre created.

He and Childress most likely had this all worked out, but the media comes out and CREATES a story... Why? Because it is good for THEIR business. I really don't think that Favre gets off on this sort of attention. He could have the media at his house every day if he wanted to.

May 2nd, 2010, 4:55 pm
RIP Killer

Drive up what price? He's already on the hook for $12M this season. Even if he retires, the Vikes own his rights.

May 2nd, 2010, 6:29 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Drive up what price? He's already on the hook for $12M this season. Even if he retires, the Vikes own his rights.

I'm talking about before he signed with them...

May 2nd, 2010, 7:21 pm
RIP Killer

This is simply a case of ridiculous outrage that is totally not needed...

May 2nd, 2010, 8:52 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I actually have a couple problems with Favre. One, yes, is the waffling. I'm tired of seeing little reels at the bottom of the screen when I'm watching ESPN that say "Favre still undecided on whether he will return in 2010" when NO ONE cares anymore. Honeslty, how many of you guys need to see that? It's not news. Like someone else said, Vikings fans don't care because they all think he's coming back anyway. Those updates are unnecessary. People hating Favre just because is the exact same thing as people hating Tebow just because. We get tired of hearing about the same person all the damn time.

Another issue I have with Favre is the fact that he plays for Minnesota and how he got there. I respected him, I used to. I do not anymore. Part of it is because I'm tired of him always beating us, I'm tired of him torching us for 300 or 400 yards a game and it just not even being a problem. It was nice not seeing him kick our asses in 2008. It really was. Now, he's back and he's even better. Wtf?

And what was all this b.s. about retiring out of New York and then so many months later deciding "Oh, I can play again! But I only want to play for Minnesota!" Oh really? Why is that, Brett? It kinda looks like you want to get back at your old team because they got tired of you waffling and jerking them around all friggin offseason and decided to go with a guy who's been waiting for 4 years to finally get his starting spot.

I understand him being mad and upset about the whole thing but what kind of an act is that to do to your fans? Was there anyone more popular in the state of Wisconsin? Ever? (Other than Lombardi, and even that is close.) They worshipped him over there and he repays them by playing for their biggest rival? No, screw that. That's pathetic man. It seems to me that he retired out of his contract so that he could play for Minnesota because there was no way that Green Bay was going to trade him there. I just think that's a bogus move and it's not respectable. I hope he never gets to go to another Super Bowl. Say what you want but a man who turns his back on those most reverring fans in a way like that is pathetic. That's just a ridiculous thing to do.

How would you guys feel if Barry had retired right after the '98 season and then decided to come out of retirement so that he could play for the Bears in '99 and have a shot at a Super Bowl? F**k that. What if Stafford becomes a super star, goes to 7 or 8 Pro Bowls and wins us a Super Bowl or two and then later decides he wants to go to Green Bay or Minnesota and do the same thing?

It'd be bogus if you asked me.

May 4th, 2010, 12:02 am
Foot, IMO the biggest part of the problem is that its all marketing, and it needs to be done. If Brett came out and stated "I'm 100% ready to play, I'm dying to get back into a football jersey, and Minny is where I want to be" he likely gets an $8.5 million dollar deal. He doesn't have much leverage. They know that they're his only suitor and they only have to pay him a reasonable salary. However, if he waffles and teases the Minny fans, puts pressure on the GM and team, and gets the whole city buzzing about his potential arrival... well... now he's a $10-13 million dollar man...

If you read back I was stating that he would play for Minny when people told me that I was crazy. People complained about the "no trade clause" and I said "hell be playing in Minny"... People said he's too old and I said "he'll be playing in Minny"... People told me that they're grooming and sticking with Tavaras Jackson and I said "he'll be playing in Minny." People told me that his arm is blown out... you get the point...

The writing was on the wall. That's why the information between the lines is often a lot louder and brighter than what is being said. Some people want to play ignorant and pretend that there aren't other factors in play and say "you don't have inside knowledge, you can't be asserting that," but if you look at the bigger picture it is easy to see what will happen.

May 4th, 2010, 12:36 am
Junior Varsity

I know just on general principles Brett Favre tends to be a polarizing figure, but I've never understood the Favre hate (or Tebow for that matter) on the grounds that he gets too much coverage, personally. Sorry, maybe I'm just too old fashioned, but I'd rather have decent guys like #4 and Tebow lighting up my TV screen all the time then getting bombarded with the day-to-day minutiae of another criminal charge against another millionaire athlete gone scumbag/knucklehead like Vick, Pacman, Burress or Rottenburger.

Next... I could honestly care less about GB. I may be misremembering, but the catalyst I recall from right around the time it seemed he really started waffling constantly was a report the Packers pretty much demanded he skip his daughters graduation for OTAs. I guess I'm also old fashioned to the extent that I believe if your almost 40 year old, future HOF QB that helped bring back some glory days to your franchise wants to extend his offseason a bit to enjoy his family... I think you let him as a thank you, not draft his replacement and show him the door.

Because of that I don't blame him at all for finding a way to go to the Vikings. They gave him a great chance to win AND get back at the team that wanted to let him go after all those great years there... and got greedy because they wanted to also control where he went (and how well that worked out for them, lol). I hate having to play him 2x a year again, but considering we're still trying to climb our way back to respectable first it doesn't bother me one bit getting to see him give the big :finger: to the Packers twice a year either.

Now, I'll also admit a lot of my opinion hinges on the circumstances of his actual retirement, too. If he waffles a couple more years but plays and then decides immediately after the season one year he's done? I don't see a problem with that, especially because it would make me certain his waffling the last few years was more a cover-up to avoid all the myriad offseason workouts (and engineer a trade to the Vikes) then anything. If he waffles into preseason then retires I'd be a lot more disappointed. We'll see.

May 4th, 2010, 9:54 am
RIP Killer

I'll keep all Farve Related stuff here...

Great statistical modeling...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... g-favorite

May 5th, 2010, 1:36 pm
1st Round Pick

Favre: He’ll return to NFL if team returns to CWS
56 minutes ago

Buzz up!
0 Print
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP)—Brett Favre(notes) says he still isn’t sure what he’s doing next season, but he may have given some indication after visiting with the Southern Miss baseball team.

The Minnesota Vikings quarterback told the Golden Eagles on Thursday morning that if they can make it back to the College World Series for the second straight year, he will return for one more season in the NFL.

Favre has left fans hanging since the Vikings lost to New Orleans in the NFC Championship game. He signed a two-year contract with the Vikings before last season. Coach Brad Childress hasn’t talked with Favre recently except by text message.

Southern Miss players have a lot of work to do if they want to force Favre into action. They are 30-20 and need wins to earn a postseason invitation

May 20th, 2010, 5:34 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Lionman3 wrote:
Favre: He’ll return to NFL if team returns to CWS
56 minutes ago

Buzz up!
0 Print
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP)—Brett Favre(notes) says he still isn’t sure what he’s doing next season, but he may have given some indication after visiting with the Southern Miss baseball team.

The Minnesota Vikings quarterback told the Golden Eagles on Thursday morning that if they can make it back to the College World Series for the second straight year, he will return for one more season in the NFL.

Favre has left fans hanging since the Vikings lost to New Orleans in the NFC Championship game. He signed a two-year contract with the Vikings before last season. Coach Brad Childress hasn’t talked with Favre recently except by text message.

Southern Miss players have a lot of work to do if they want to force Favre into action. They are 30-20 and need wins to earn a postseason invitation

Are you kidding me?!

This is stupid from him, like my old man said show some respect for the game.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

May 20th, 2010, 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

LOOK AT ME EVERYBODY ... I NEED ATTENTION.

For Shame.

May 20th, 2010, 7:21 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

I don't get the outrage... the press made it a look at me situation.

May 22nd, 2010, 4:20 pm

Yes. it was the press that decided to pretend (i smell bullshit) that Bretts 12 Million Dollar - NFL Power Ranking and Possible Super Bowl Team Matchup Changing Decision - based on if his College makes it to the College Baseball World Series.

It was all the media.

It seems like you are either an Apologist, or you think that the anti-farve commentary is just sour grapes. If that is the case , you would be wrong.

As wrong as it was, being a diehard Lions fan, Brett Farve was my 2nd favorite QB of ALL TIME, until 4 years ago when he started pulling this poop. Now I think he is an egotistical Primadonna all about getting media attention. Whenever they stop talking about him for a few weeks, he either does something not even Newsworthy that he has His people broadcast to everyone to make sure they talk about him again, Or he holds a press conference to say he still has no idea what hes going to do, or he does something like this that seems innocuous, hell, even positive but knowing the media is going to run with it. It always is centered around him though.

This time he managed to make his Alma Mater possibility of going to the CWS back to back.. all about him rather than them. Hes just a douche and needs to hear the media talking about him. I truly believe at this point he will miss being talked about way more than he misses the actual football part.. and he has made that readily apparent 4 seasons in a row. The only way to not see that is to take the 30+ actions that point this out over 4 offseasons, and look at them all through Farve Colored Glasses.

May 22nd, 2010, 5:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

It's not Farve's fault that EVERYTHING or ANYTHING he says about his chances of playing next season make headlines. What's wrong with giving his team a little motivation for fun? I think the outrage is old and uneeded... that is what I am.

May 22nd, 2010, 6:16 pm

Its his fault for KNOWING EXACTLY What would happen, and doing it anyways to make Headlines.

Or are we pretending he is too dumb to know exactly what will happen when he drops tidbits like that.

Specifically this comment:

1) If he meant it just as a Pep talk , he chose a poor way to motivate based on allt he good things he could have said concerning motivation after a career like his.

2) If he actually meant it, he is dumb as a brick. Deciding to coninue your career or not based on your College Baseball team.. I highly doubt he was being serious.

3) Serious or Joke, that was a pretty damn big FU to the Vikings and their fans, and as much as I hate thier team in general, i still respect them as an enemy.

In fact, as a Fan I feel like I respect both his former and current team more than he does. It seems apparent that Brett respects only brett, and feels that teams, fans, media, etc all revovle around him. He is the King on Campus... and if he ever feels that slipping.. he'll just say something stupid, pull a publicity stunt, retire - unretire- retire - unretire, etc to make sure he is still King of the Playground. Respect Level = -1. (Scale is from 0-5)

May 22nd, 2010, 9:02 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next